Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Is Jordan Cousins the new Jose Semedo?

Comments

• Options

I don't get this widespread acclaim for Cousins: I haven't seen him do anything beyond the expectations of a moderately competent defensive midfielder. We have watched such rubbish for the last two seasons that if a player makes two successful tackles in quick succession some people jump up and down and hail him a hero.

You could argue the same about Poyet.
  • Options

I don't get this widespread acclaim for Cousins: I haven't seen him do anything beyond the expectations of a moderately competent defensive midfielder. We have watched such rubbish for the last two seasons that if a player makes two successful tackles in quick succession some people jump up and down and hail him a hero.

Have you tried watching Tennis?
  • Options
    The reality is that JC is not a creative centre midfielder and that DP is better as an anchor/pivot so we are seeing both young players playing a similar role.We are looking for creativity more becsuse of the ineffectiveness of others.

Having said that I thought that JC had a decent game yesterday but for him to progress in this position (and yes its early in his career) he needs to be more offensive.

For me though he hasn't the real skills to attain that level for a creative midfielder and would like with more experience he has gained for him to be tried at right back thus freeing Wilson
  • Options
    imagine a central midfield of cousins, poyet and shelvey...
  • Options

The reality is that JC is not a creative centre midfielder and that DP is better as an anchor/pivot so we are seeing both young players playing a similar role.We are looking for creativity more becsuse of the ineffectiveness of others.

Having said that I thought that JC had a decent game yesterday but for him to progress in this position (and yes its early in his career) he needs to be more offensive.

For me though he hasn't the real skills to attain that level for a creative midfielder and would like with more experience he has gained for him to be tried at right back thus freeing Wilson

Poyet should be played further forward and be given the freedom to dictate attacks in the final third.
  • Options
    Off to the Wendies then?
  • Options
    Cousins will be better than semedo but is still limited in my opinion. He may improve but regardless the ultimate best I could envisage for him is as a lower premier league player. Poyet is far far better than him and will be a much better player in the long term.
  • Options
    The only real flaw in Cousins' game I have seen so far is that to me he seems to get in good positions to cross/shoot from outside the box - then stop and pass it to someone else instead. He's done it in most games I've seen him play for the 1st 11, but the many strengths he brings to the team far outweigh this one particular weakness, it's just a minor quibble. I wish he'd just have a go, just try it and see what happens - it cannot possibly be any worse than the usual service we give the strikers, even if it goes all bobbly and bouncy it could flummox a keeper and someone sticks it in the net.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cs1986 said:

Stig said:

I can see the possibility of Cousins and Poyet playing for England together. Sadly, if it ever happens, neither will be anywhere near Charlton.

Cousins will never get anywhere near the England side.
  • Options
    Stig said:

cs1986 said:

Stig said:

I can see the possibility of Cousins and Poyet playing for England together. Sadly, if it ever happens, neither will be anywhere near Charlton.

Cousins will never get anywhere near the England side.
    Big difference schoolboys U19's to full national side surely you know that.. Majority who play at that level don't go on. His 20 and has not played for U21's so I would think my point is valid.

I am not slating him he just does not create enough or push forward which does not work alongside Poyet it is one or the other for me.
  • Options
    We need to get shot of Cousins and Poyet, and bring back racon and Mcoxo
  • Options

REALITY CHECK EDIT: I don't get this widespread acclaim for Semedo: I haven't seen him do anything beyond the expectations of a moderately competent defensive midfielder. We have watched such rubbish for the last seven seasons that if a player makes two successful tackles in quick succession some people jump up and down and hail him a hero.

• Options
    @cs1986, we're talking current England here, not Spain 2010 or Brazil 1970!
  • Options

jordan cousins is one of the hottest youth prospects in the English game. massive engine, reads the game well and great all round technique. he has everything in his game to be a superb DM.

he is better than diego poyet in my opinion.

he will go onto play for england.
  • Options
    I think it is quite possible they will play for England - but it is possible Poyet will play for Spain or Uraguay. You have to judge them in the context of this being their first season and if we can keep Poyet, I think we could have the best midfield in the league next season. You can see both improving their game as they play more games. They have different attributes, but compliment each other well. What isn't to like?
  • Options
    posting without reading - can't compare the two. one is a very limited League 1 standard player whilst the other will play for a top Club in the Premier League.
  • Options
    Last thing i want to do is undermine cousins but poyet is in a different class if you ask me - cousins is an engine and will do a decent job - in the same way cleverly might for england / man u but poyet has real quality - his touch and football brain are streets ahead. I think its symbolic of the problems the england team have. Arthleticism over quality.
  • Options

jordan cousins is one of the hottest youth prospects in the English game. massive engine, reads the game well and great all round technique. he has everything in his game to be a superb DM.

he is better than diego poyet in my opinion.

he will go onto play for england.
    I agree with this. As and all round player he probably is better than Poyet. Hopefully the two of them will be at the heart of Charlton's midfield for year's to come...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2014
    DOUCHER said:

Last thing i want to do is undermine cousins but poyet is in a different class if you ask me - cousins is an engine and will do a decent job - in the same way cleverly might for england / man u but poyet has real quality - his touch and football brain are streets ahead. I think its symbolic of the problems the england team have. Arthleticism over quality.

i do really agree with that as well (especially athleticism over quality), having thought about it, you identify the fundamental problem the PL has on England team, great to watch but useless at international level.

i do think that Jordan is very smart in the defensive arts. very often in the right place. maybe that is all engine but i think its a mixture of brains and brawn.

tiki taka in La Liga . poyet

hurly burly premiership - cousins

together - valley floyd road.
    MSE7 said:

Semedo was a boring player who thought he was hard. He wasn't hard at all. Cousins is a better footballer and a lot younger, he will be a better player

there are a few footballers i would not like to square up to and semedo is definitely one. yes he was terrible technically but the geezer is an absolute unit. of course he was hard, he was nails. people bouncing of him and his stride remained unchecked.
  • Options
    the real question is is CAFCsteve the new bexleydan?
  • Options
    I think Poyet has the most potential, but both have loads of it. I could see Cousins becoming at some point, if all goes well, a £10-12 million player and Poyet a £20-30 million one. They both have their whole careers in front of them and sometimes the path to the top has some bumps in it though. We are fortunate to have 2 players of this quality come through at the same time.
  • Options
    There is some massive over rating going on this thread at the moment. Poyet has played a few games in a championship side and Cousins has been part of, quite frankly, an abysmal side all season.
  • Options
    £20-30m?!
  • Options
    It's always so difficult to tell with young players. All I do know is that both Cousins and Poyet are better and more effective than Parker at that age (before he was loaned to Norwich).

Cousins got forward in good positions on Tuesday - with confidence I think he'll make a good box to box midfielder which Semedo never was (just an OK DM).
  • Options
    If Poyet didn't have his heritage I doubt the media/CL would be rating him so highly after a few games. As of now, Cousins looks the better long term prospect.
  • Options
    You cannot compare cousins to semedo. I'd compare him more to Alex song at similar ages. He's not doing too bad warming the bench at Barcelona.