Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

in the unlikely event that we get another penalty this season......

2»

Comments

• Options
    How about the skipper takes the responsibility?
  • Options
    Nicholas said:

Jacko bottled it today.

I would not say that, last season when he missed a couple in a row he said he would not take another penalty, sordell is probably the disignated taker
  • Options
    I would have had no problem with Sordell taking the pen under normal circumstances, but on this occasion, having been fouled, he was clearly limping and probably not fit to take the kick. Many of us said at the time that we expected him not to score and obviously we were correct. Perhaps this should have been the time when the skipper takes stock, asserts his authority, reminds Sordell that he's injured and takes the kick himself?
  • Options
    Jackson was at fault with the penalty. As soon as Sordell went down he walked over to the spot as if to wait for the ball. You could see Jackson, Ajdarevic and Sordell 'discussing' who was going to take it.
    Why the **** did Jackson not call rank and grab the ball and take it?
  • Options
    Just be thankful Fanny Green wasn't on the pitch (Rule 1, if Danny Green is on the pitch he must take every single set piece ((awfully))). He'd have spent 5 minutes making sure his hair looked perfect for the football league show and then would have hit it wide.
  • Options
    Dervite. Smash it straight at the goalie.
  • Options

Jackson was at fault with the penalty. As soon as Sordell went down he walked over to the spot as if to wait for the ball. You could see Jackson, Ajdarevic and Sordell 'discussing' who was going to take it.

Surely a professional football team knows who the nominated penalty taker is? Maybe it was indeed Sordell and Jackson merely asked if he was ok to take it.
  • Options
    Would've given it to Poyet to try and get a goal before he leaves in the summer
  • Options

Surely a professional football team knows who the nominated penalty taker is? Maybe it was indeed Sordell and Jackson merely asked if he was ok to take it.
    I'm with you on this.it's true that Jackson has missed recently, so I am wondering who the nominees from that eleven actually were. Maybe Ajdarevic? The problem there is that if we get a penalty on 85, Ajdarevic wont be out there. Within the current squad I' would only back Lawrie Wilson to score. Pretty sad state of affairs.
  • Options

I'm with you on this.it's true that Jackson has missed recently, so I am wondering who the nominees from that eleven actually were. Maybe Ajdarevic? The problem there is that if we get a penalty on 85, Ajdarevic wont be out there. Within the current squad I' would only back Lawrie Wilson to score. Pretty sad state of affairs.
    Hence my comment above about a hierarchy of penalty takers (depending on who is on the pitch).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Agreed. But with Jackson being our recognised penalty taker, surely with Sordell not a regular we would have gone with Jackson. Maybe Sordell took the pens elsewhere at Bolton and Watford, not sure.
  • Options
    I know he stepped down last season but does that mean he should never take one again? Has to be Jackson. As captain he should have stepped up and been brave enough to tell Sordell. Also didn't understand why he let Astrit take that free kick in the first half when it was perfect Jackson territory.
  • Options

Agreed. But with Jackson being our recognised penalty taker, surely with Sordell not a regular we would have gone with Jackson. Maybe Sordell took the pens elsewhere at Bolton and Watford, not sure.
    Sordell is a penalty taker...

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/sport/football/clubs/sunderland/article3658899.ece

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_1/15413670.stm

• Options
    at least he had the balls to take it
  • Options
    From Riga:

Sordell, who had scored a hat-trick at Sheffield Wednesday in Charlton’s previous game, also missed a penalty, however, when Rovers were 1-0 up.

Captain Johnnie Jackson is Charlton’s usual penalty taker but Riga made it clear he was not angry with Sordell for grabbing the ball after he had been fouled by Grant Hanley.

“It was defined before the game on what had happened in the past - Jacko took the penalties - but we knew that at this moment Marvin was feeling good,” said the Addicks manager.

“It is more about the story of the play on the pitch because, from outside, if you don’t say yes, you say no and the player who doesn’t get the penalty is then not in a good mood.

“If we had scored everyone would be happy. Marvin wanted to score for the team and it is a lesson a player has to learn.”

Pretty pathetic explanation if you ask me.
  • Options
    So IF we are to believe that Jackson is shirking his responsibilities (that's a big if) then is it worth having him in the starting XI if it means we have to play Cousins out of position?
  • Options

From Riga:

Sordell, who had scored a hat-trick at Sheffield Wednesday in Charlton’s previous game, also missed a penalty, however, when Rovers were 1-0 up.

Captain Johnnie Jackson is Charlton’s usual penalty taker but Riga made it clear he was not angry with Sordell for grabbing the ball after he had been fouled by Grant Hanley.

“It was defined before the game on what had happened in the past - Jacko took the penalties - but we knew that at this moment Marvin was feeling good,” said the Addicks manager.

“It is more about the story of the play on the pitch because, from outside, if you don’t say yes, you say no and the player who doesn’t get the penalty is then not in a good mood.

“If we had scored everyone would be happy. Marvin wanted to score for the team and it is a lesson a player has to learn.”

Would have loved to have been a fly on the wall in the dressing room at half-time
  • Options
    Croydon said:

So IF we are to believe that Jackson is shirking his responsibilities (that's a big if) then is it worth having him in the starting XI if it means we have to play Cousins out of position?

Fair point that.
  • Options
    Addick90 said:

PP, he scored one the other day ;)

see i told all you lifers he was good! ;)
  • Options
    Remember years ago against West Brom, John Robinson scored two early goals and then we got a penalty. Robbo grabbed the ball to get his hat trick and promptly missed it. Curbs was raging in the dugout. If you have a designated taker then stick with it unless he's injured.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Pigott. He has scored penalties agsinst Oxford and Warbury this season.
  • Options
    Whoever RD nominates, of course
  • Options

From Riga:

Won't be asking you then.
  • Options
    i think JJ always gives the keeper a chance - a bit like Lampard...but both have the guts to take them and have good records. I felt very comfortable with Yann taking them and Bent and Mendonca - but they all miss. If i was the manager, i'd like to have a look in training - see who has the best technique.
  • Options
    My mum said she would take the next one!