Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Hornimans Walrus and Charlton

I moved to Forest Hill in 1958 as a mere one year old and with the exception of 10 years when i lived oop north have been here ever since, so I was raised visiting Hornimans museum and even now if I am there I go and visit the walrus. The other day i picked up a copy of Time Out (Freebie) and they had an article on my friend and guess what he's a Charlton supporter!!! However, he has not renewed his season ticket yet (where does he sit?) so can i suggest anyone with twitter sends him a bit of encouragement @Hornimanwalrus

Comments

• Options
    I used to love going there as a kid.
  • Options
    That is hilarious. My gf lives in Forest Hill and we've talked about that Walrus a couple of times because I saw it when it was at the Turner in Margate last year and then we saw it at the Hornimans the other day.

She's going to be gutted he's a Charlton Walrus and not a Spurs one.
  • Options
    I thought most Walrus's supported Millwall.

Mind you most Walrus's are pretty intelligent so that can't really be true.
  • Options
    Move over Jim Davidson.
  • Options
    If I remember correctly this is the Walrus that many moons ago took pride of place in the Hornimans Museum which was in a glass case with a plaque which read,
    " Walrus - Badly Stuffed".

I'm not surprised that it's a Charlton Fan with that kind of provenance :)
  • Options
    I was born in Forest Hill and lived just down the road from Hornimans and used to spent a lot of time there, loved everything about it, but that Walrus is now seriously top of the pile, even if it is badly stuffed.
  • Options
    JWADDICK said:

If I remember correctly this is the Walrus that many moons ago took pride of place in the Hornimans Museum which was in a glass case with a plaque which read,

He is still there, taken in January.

The "stuffing issue" was that the taxidermist had never seen a walrus and did not know that they were naturally wrinkled so stuffed the wrinkles away!!

• Options
    Kap10 said:

JWADDICK said:

He is still there, taken in January.

The "stuffing issue" was that the taxidermist had never seen a walrus and did not know that they were naturally wrinkled so stuffed the wrinkles away!!

I think I might need a bit of work from that taxidermist, I wonder if he works on the living
  • Options

I was born in Forest Hill and lived just down the road from Hornimans and used to spent a lot of time there, loved everything about it, but that Walrus is now seriously top of the pile, even if it is badly stuffed.

That was one of my favourite places to go as a kid, too. Grew up on Benson Road.

• Options
    I worked there in the Geology department as a kid on Saturdays cataloguing fossils. It was the best job I ever had - I got paid in tea and biscuits, and had free run of the museum. I was 10. Awesome.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I bet they STILL haven't repaired the 'Apostles' clock though.
  • Options
    Excellent spot, Kap. Wonder if the walrus will now go for East stand block A?
  • Options
    Sat two rows in front of him in the West Upper in my season ticket days. You could tell he was only there for Prem football, I had a suspicion he was a Scouser, smelt of fish and sported the prerequisite tache.
  • Options

Excellent spot, Kap. Wonder if the walrus will now go for East stand block A?

I'll tweet him
  • Options
    I passed the article on to the press dept. at The Valley so hopefully they can make some publicity out of it.
  • Options
    I can't tell you how delighted I am that someone else has posted something referring to walruses (or should that be walri?) I posted the below after the defeat at Bramall Lane when someone asked what else went wrong that weekend:

"I had an appalling sexual encounter with a lady nearer 50 than 40. It was like two crippled walruses fighting each other for supremacy of their rock."
  • Options
    my daughter volunteers at the Hornimans on sundays and told me she found an old charlton scarf and hat in a cupboard there. now we know it belongs to the walrus.
  • Options
    Olly Groome ‏@ollygroome 42m
    Just interviewed @HornimanWalrus for Valley Review. Look out for it in the Yeovil programme. THE best Fan Focus to date #cafc
  • Options

Just interviewed @HornimanWalrus for Valley Review. Look out for it in the Yeovil programme. THE best Fan Focus to date #cafc

Brilliant, I may even buy a program for that.
  • Options

Did He say much ?