Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Danny Hollands?

Comments

• Options
    I know he struggled to get into the first team in the Championship, but he did have an operation that summer and I just think he never got back in front of Pritchard or Stephens. It also didn't help him that a decision was made to move Jackson inside from playing on the left during the L1 season.

I suspect that he is not good enough for the Championship but I have to confess to not being able to say that I saw enough of him, at that level, to make a proper, informed, decision.

With the plans for next season, assuming we stay up, I can't see him getting anywhere near the first team, and I think his contract runs out this summer. I genuinely wish him all the best, he never looked like he was giving anything less than 100% and he did put in some fantastic performances during out title winning season.
  • Options
    Making his debut today at Newport , we will have a scout there because Kevin Feely lines up against him for the Exiles.

• Options
    We'll need him next season in league 1
  • Options
    Just bagged a hatrick for Pompey. Well done Danny
  • Options
    Hatrick today for him, well done Danny thats 5 goals now for him at Pompey
  • Options
    Hat trick for Portsmouth and still almost half a match to go. Good luck to the lad.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Yet another hat trick for a Charlton player :-) good trivia quiz question for the future.
  • Options
    Thought he could have been involved for us a bit this season especially after the fixtures started to pile up.
  • Options
    Goodm lad, not quite the quality we want for next season and wish him all the best for his future career. that hat trick won't harm his new club negotiations.
  • Options
    Really good bloke who went to school in Sunbury - wish him all the best
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Why the hell did we get rid?

Just watched 2011/2 season this afternoon, scored some great goals, that diving header just brilliant!

A very good player.
  • Options
    The diving header was one of my absolute favourite ever Charlton goals!
  • Options

Just watched 2011/2 season this afternoon, scored some great goals, that diving header just brilliant!

A very good player.
    He was great that first season but never the same after injury
  • Options

A very good player.
    Yeah watching its surprising that so many first teamers really struggled with the step up in a way

Taylor | Wright-Phillips | Hollands | Pritchard (after the first season)
  • Options

A very good player.
    Good player in League One, not quite up to it in the Championship, a bit like BWP.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Great league 1 player, but, as others have said, not good enough to step up. Pace was a massive problem especially as Jackson would have been alongside him. You can get away with it in league 1 but not in the higher division. 
  • Options
    Basically never recovered from the injury, not to mention fathering triplets!
  • Options

A very good player.
    Yeah watching its surprising that so many first teamers really struggled with the step up in a way

Not surprised about Pritchard, he overachieved. Not taking anything away from him, he really grabbed his chance. Such a likeable player too. Agree though, other 3 were so good in League 1 but just couldn’t step up. 

• Options
    I think Wright-Phillips was easily good enough for championship, just got into a slump imo
  • Options
    Yes, BWP's subsequent career suggests that if he had been more focused/motivated when with us, he easily would have scored goals in the Championship
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

A very good player.

Not surprised about Pritchard, he overachieved. Not taking anything away from him, he really grabbed his chance. Such a likeable player too. Agree though, other 3 were so good in League 1 but just couldn’t step up. 

Pritchard made a better fist off the step
    up than any of the others. Had a great run of games in the champ where he was our best player, just couldn’t keep it going
  • Options
    He was actually at his best when he played with Hughes/Russell as he was given a bit more freedom to get forward. He was always a bit more restricted when played with Stephen's.
  • Options

A very good player.

Pritch was joint top assist maker in the championship in 12/13. Joint with Zaha. 
  • Options
    Pritchard completely drifted off the scene. He was on a TV programme that I watched a while ago, about footballers who’s careers went downhill. He ended up at Cray Wanderers, whilst working a normal office job if i remember correctly.
  • Options

A very good player.

Pritch was joint top assist maker in the championship in 12/13. Joint with Zaha. 
    I know. But then he was terrible after that first season. Had two good years and I don’t think anyone really expected anything from him when he signed. 
  • Options

A very good player.

Pritchard made a better fist off the step
    up than any of the others. Had a great run of games in the champ where he was our best player, just couldn’t keep it going
    I think Pritchard as a fairly diminutive guy suffered from our poor pitch. Played better away.
  • Options
    I think Wright-Phillips was easily good enough for championship, just got into a slump imo
    He virtually admitted that, then he went to the States, sorted his head out and had a very successful career.
  • Options
    For such a good goal scorer, BWP was terrible at one on ones. Watching those highlights back today, he missed loads. 

I somehow never totally warmed to BWP. Liked him but never loved him like I would expect to with a prolific striker. There was always a slight air of unfulfilled talent about him. Happy for him he had a good time of it in the States, but MLS is probably lower championship standard, at best, so he didn’t significantly up his level from what he did with us.

Danny Hollands was under rated that season. 
  • Options
    For me he was a natural scorer who maybe was a bit too affected by confidence. I didn't want him to leave as I think it is the challenge for the manager to get the best out of a player like him. Powell certainly did in the beginning.
  • Options
    Work rate was poor.