Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Powell Exit Poll Results

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2014
    MrLargo said:

All sorts of weird comments on this thread.

Don't understand why the Trust is getting slated for running the survey. Surely as a group that seeks to represent the views and interests of supporters, it should make all reasonable efforts to gather and analyse the opinions of those supporters on a regular basis, and particularly when there is a major issue. How can the Trust be expected to represent the views of its stakeholders if it doesn't know what they are?

Secondly, some on here seem to think that everything's alright now, just because we've won a couple of games. It isn't alright - we're still part of a network of clubs where only the club at the top of the tree seems to benefit, whilst everyone else suffers. The post made by the Sint-Truiden supporter on this website a couple of weeks ago should make all of us extremely concerned.

Thirdly, if we stay up, that doesn't automatically mean that we were right to sack Powell. I know that I am not alone in thinking that we have dismissed a manager who could have taken us to the Premier League, given the right level of backing.

I 92% agree.

In all seriousness you raise some good points. Regardless of whether we stay up I'll have very little trust for the board, that's mainly because of the lies and spin we've been fed plus the treatments of Kermorgant and Powell. That's not me trying to dredge those issues up, as a Charlton fan I don't want the same to happen again. Until I know more about the board's intentions, how Charlton fit into the 'network', who is manager next season, I won't renew my season ticket. One person doesn't make a difference to them but I'm sure others are thinking similiar.

The above matters are the sort of thing I personally would like the trust to tackle. However, I guess the trust's hands are tied to an extent here, they can only give back to us what the club give to them. If RD and KM are only going to spoon feed them generic, non-insightful statements and fob-offs then there's little they can do without upsetting (possibly important) people.

• Options
    Still don't understand what this survey was setting out to achieve. Already been asked, but I'll ask as well. What are you going to do with the results?
  • Options

...What are you going to do with the results?

Publish them for everyone's benefit.
  • Options
    Useless survey. Powell is gone. Wound licking is of no use. Move on.
  • Options
    I would like to see a survey on people buying season tickets again. I guess this was put out at a very sore time and now people have had a few weeks to ponder the result would be different
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Petitions or Polls?

• Options
    Please stop this type of thing - it's totally pointless - nothing will change... Find something else to do with your vast spare time
  • Options
    Perhaps another one should be done near the end of the season?

With the upturn in fortunes and extra investment in the team (and lack of puppet replacement) maybe people won't be so hugely against it now.
  • Options

Still don't understand what this survey was setting out to achieve. Already been asked, but I'll ask as well. What are you going to do with the results?

Razil's going to sell everyone's email addresses to Nigerian Scammers and buy RD and the G21 out with the proceeds..

• Options
    Sh@t rumbled..

I guess season ticket sales will show if one part of the poll is still current
  • Options
    A lot of the criticism of this poll comes from people who obviously don't like the result. They should have voted and made their voices heard. And how do people think the Trust is going to be able to let the board know what fans are thinking if they don't ask them? However, in the interest of 'balance', I do think it would be interesting to have another poll at the end of the season to see if people have changed their minds about the issues - that would show that the Trust really wants to represent the fans' mood and that there's no 'agenda'.
  • Options
    rikofold said:

You know, we have a group of supporters who have given up their own time to establish and develop a Trust for all Charlton supporters. It's been attempted before without success, but these guys have pulled it off and have over 1000 members in just over a year. Their constitutional purpose and objectives are something we should all welcome - in brief to represent the Charlton supporters' collective voice through productive relationship with the club. Go read it all on their website.

All this nit picking about every little thing they do is unbelievable. It's a miracle they've achieved what they have given the treatment they get on social media. Right now they're damned if they do, damned if they don't. If they don't survey they're not seeking to understand the supporters' views. If they do, their questions are criticised. If they don't publish the results, they're just a clique doing it for their own reasons. If they do, they're told it's irrelevant.

I'll say it again, we should all be part of this - if for no other reason than the Trust will increase its representation as the number who constructively engages with it increases, and it will in time develop to reflect its membership as much as its leadership if we're proactively engaged.

For those that say, 'the Trust doesn't represent me' - well, the best chance it has of doing so is if you're part of its democratic process. Try finding out why the Trust think their surveys are relevant, listen to the answer, and if you think you can improve on it then get involved. Don't just boo from the sidelines, that just reflects the type of lazy boorish sort of supporter we could all do without.

Support it, help it grow and develop into something that we can all value even when we don't all agree. The worst that could happen is that it achieves nothing - the best, though, could mean a very bright future indeed for the club-fan relationship.

Well said. The last few weeks have really shown me we have a lot more c*nts as fans than I ever thought.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm game for a second hit on the survey so pls volunteer to secretary@castrust.org we could do random 'interviews' around the ground to remove any element of self selection and even ask if views have changed since whenever
  • Options
    RedPanda said:

I'm being ultra-cynical here but I don't really see how this information helps. What, if anything, is going to be done with it?

Things like '98.5% think the manager should pick the team' would apply at any club and even if passed on would change absolutely nothing.

What an exercise in futility - surely people could spend their time doing something that would be useful going forward??
  • Options
    Stig said:

1286 is a magnificent sample size. Well done to all involved, that's a lot of work.

It would be interesting to see how perceptions change over time. Football fans are a pretty fickle bunch, I bet the feelings around whether it was right to sack Powell would be radically different depending on the outcome of the relegation battle (although I agree with MrLargo's comment above).

Keep up the good work, regardless of what the whingers say.

That 1,286 is about 50% more than the Trust were getting last year through promotion on its own site and email list and of course on here. 140 fans were engaged with on a face to face basis which is approximately 140 more than the "Oak group". And many of the 1,286 would be new to the Trust and want to add their email addresses to the list of emails and Twitter followers which is rapidly approaching 5,000.
    That's right Castrust is just over a year old and has built a network of nearly 5,000 fans through surveys, the ACV campaign (1,905 supporters) and the Trust stall. So measuring the fans opinions does in fact help grow the beast. It has more than trebled in size in the last 12 months.

Fans were asked forward looking questions such as whether Riga will help CAFC stay up and many said "too early to say". Perhaps we will all have a better idea after the home games vs Yeovil and Barnsley. But for someone who spent all of 2013 setting up a museum to criticise the Trust for being backward looking is a tad ironic!

To put this in perspective, Reading and Leeds are two other sizeable supporters Trusts in the division and they have been going for ten years or more. The fact is that ten years ago Charlton fans used to have a vibrant supporters club with 3,000 members but that is long gone...

Not for me to state Trust board policy as I left the board a short while back - but criticism always helps...it can either be batted away, ignored or used to help consider future direction. In November the Trust asked its members and subscribers for feedback and became more vocal as a result - leading to more website hits and more fans reading Trust material and a very high membership retention rate. Stories about club comms over late postponements, the FA Cup and the takeover all pushed the club to respond fairly swiftly. Not to mention the Crossbars launch which was redesigned very quickly due to feedback from the Trust, on here and from individual fans affected - the club made a mistake and corrected it... And this is surely the basis for what fans groups can do to support and advise the club going forwards.

I have read this thread with interest and there are some very valid questions which need to be asked - I wonder who will get to ask them, in what context and what answers will come back. As I mentioned I left the Trust board but I will be interested to see how this develops now and in say 12 months time. In the meantime I think Riga has improved our chances with a bit of luck and I look forward to a month of football. Hopefully followed by an exciting close season as we perhaps see activity from Duchatelet and Meire which puts meat on the bones... Are they going to play painting by numbers and explain everything to everyone? I doubt it! But loan signings and cheaper season tickets are things I like and long overdue.

And finally if people want to believe Daily Mail scare stories about feeder clubs that is their choice. Perhaps the club can put things straight through better comms and clear execution of a decent strategy - if they continue with one video a month that works for me.
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

All sorts of weird comments on this thread.

Don't understand why the Trust is getting slated for running the survey. Surely as a group that seeks to represent the views and interests of supporters, it should make all reasonable efforts to gather and analyse the opinions of those supporters on a regular basis, and particularly when there is a major issue. How can the Trust be expected to represent the views of its stakeholders if it doesn't know what they are?

Secondly, some on here seem to think that everything's alright now, just because we've won a couple of games. It isn't alright - we're still part of a network of clubs where only the club at the top of the tree seems to benefit, whilst everyone else suffers. The post made by the Sint-Truiden supporter on this website a couple of weeks ago should make all of us extremely concerned.

Thirdly, if we stay up, that doesn't automatically mean that we were right to sack Powell. I know that I am not alone in thinking that we have dismissed a manager who could have taken us to the Premier League, given the right level of backing.

Mmm now that final point is truly a matter of opinion - to my mind: in your dreams but as I say it's just my opinion.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    rikofold said:

If the G21 were pushing ahead with an agenda that the survey suggested wasn't shared by the wider fanbase, this provides the Trust with invaluable direction on how to handle their discussions with the board.

Another example: 51% who responded stated they were less likely to buy a season ticket as a result of sacking Powell. I would say the Trust would be duty bound to bring that to the attention of the board, because even if it's 50% out - which would be a huge statistical anomaly even allowing for the emotion that poured out after the sacking - that's a significant loss of revenue opportunity for the club that they'd need to weigh. That the figure only reduced to 34% suggests Powell was a fundamental reason why people were committing their funds to the club for the season.

And another: a high percentage of respondents (despondants?) suggested they felt the network was a bad idea. Well to me that suggests that there's an issue somewhere between it being a bad idea and that it's been poorly communicated.

If the Trust can provide the club with this sort of information, then at the very least it's working with them to provide a better future, cementing a productive relationship and giving Charlton supporters everywhere the opportunity for their voice to be heard.

Isn't that their point?
    I'm not actually knocking Razil an Co. They have done well to get where they are. Unfortunately, the reaction to Powell's sacking didn't sit well with me and in some instances I found it cringeworthy.

For me this survey (when it came out) stunk of jumping on the "Powell is gone, we might as well fold" bandwagon. Personally, I think the fact that the survey was run so soon after the sacking lessens its credibility. I don't believe there was any need for it and nothing will convince me otherwise. Many of the responses will have come from the Pro Powell lobby and their need to reply will have been driven by an emotional response to his sacking.

I am not a Powell disciple (never was) and as I have stated before was fast losing faith in him. If he'd been sacked off the back of a decent run\season then there might have been cause to gauge opinion and perhaps question the thinking.

Does anyone honestly think that anyone on the board would have seen the that 500-600 fans said they might not get a season ticket because Powell was sacked and thought "bugger we have dropped a bollock here, we better reinstate him"? Of course they wouldn't. RD has his own vision for the club and he will no doubt think that making a success of that will change the waverers minds.

Football fans are a fickle bunch, when we stay up and the board splash a bit of cash in the summer people will move on.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Seems seriously red and the rest of the Trust are still suffering from Group Think.

Even the slightest criticism and they go down the persoanal insult route. Nice.

Sinking a bit low to slag off the museum but there you go.
  • Options
    No one from the board has slated you despite your non stop jump at any chance to criticise us Ben.

Clem if Powell weren't being offered a deal the week prior I'd agree with some
    of what you say however he was. So to suggest he was fired due to results (despite being starved of funds for the last year) is somewhat hard to justify on that basis, in other words it wasnt purely reaction to his removal.
  • Options
    I know it was reported that a deal was in place but was it..??
  • Options
    razil said:

No one from the board has slated you despite your non stop jump at any chance to criticise us Ben.

Clem if Powell weren't being offered a deal the week prior I'd agree with some
    of what you say however he was. So to suggest he was fired due to results (despite being starved of funds for the last year) is somewhat hard to justify on that basis, in other words it wasnt purely reaction to his removal.

I didn't suggest he was sacked based on the results he was achieving. RD himself has gone on the record and stated that he was sacked as they couldn't agree on a recruitment\football strategy. The contract was withdrawn when it became clear he wasn't going to come round to RDs way of thinking.
  • Options
    This is the reason I haven't joined the trust!
    They Should be forward thinking and stop living in the past what's done is done.
    So unless the trust buys out rd its never going to change things.
    I may sound negative But please prove me wrong