Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Man City-Charlton: The Match

The teams...

Charlton: Carson; Young, Hreidarsson; El Karkouri, Diawara; Zheng, Faye, Song, Thomas; M Bent, D Bent.

Subs: Randolph, Bougherra, Rommedahl, Ambrose, Lisbie

Man City: Isaksson; Onuoha, Ball, Distin, Dunne; Sun, Johnson, Ireland, Barton; Mpenza, Vassell.

Subs: Weaver, Dabo, Sinclair, Beasley, Samaras.

Comments

• Options
    Faye in for Holland, no Thatcher and Romm out for Marcus Bent.

ZZ to play on the right...that was tried a game or two back and he looked to be out of position there.

The long good friday begins here....
  • Options
    i hope holland is injured or suspended
  • Options
    Holland isn't suspended, maybe injured and that's likely as he isn't on the bench.

378 minutes since Man City last scored at home, hmmm...
  • Options
    Scott Minto: "Over the Christmas period, Pardew will be looking to get 4 points out of six".
  • Options
    With three games in 9 days, they are probably resting Holland (I hope that is the case anyway..).

Having the more 'solid' Song and Faye in centre midfield makes some sense away from home, although I do think it's a little negative.
  • Options
    Not a great start
  • Options
    We still look sloppy at the back at times. Worrying
  • Options
    I think we're going to miss Holland's energy and harrying in midfield...Faye doesn't have the same mobility which is what we need in there when Song sits in front of the defence.
  • Options
    I can't see this game finishing nil-nil.
  • Options
    Agreed Ricky. Holland has been a massive plus over the past dozen or so games (since Super Al came in)

Lets hope not BFR (in our favour obviously)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    For me Marcus has offered nothing. Get him off. Romm on and play 4-5-1
  • Options
    Game is very reminiscent of games earlier in the season...little or no attacking threat with carson keeping us in it.

Hopefully Pardew will see whats going on and change it in the second half.

I would also be tempted to bring Rommedahl on for Bent with ZZ just in behind. City's 5 man midfield means they're dominating and are supporting Mpenza well.

Get to 0-0 half time and it will be ok for the first half.
  • Options
    I'd take nil-nil at the moment...

Now what can Pardew do? The last few games have been notable for us holding teams in the first 45 minutes, but changing tactics/formation at half time and attacking a bit more.
  • Options
    I would also be tempted to bring Rommedahl on for Bent with ZZ just in behind. City's 5 man midfield means they're dominating and are supporting Mpenza well.

Agreed, they seem to be getting Barton a bit more forward too...a five man midfield might push him deeper.
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    What a shocking first half display!! Lucky to still be 0-0. What is Thomas doing? FFS just cross the ball. Young is also getting done for pace everytime Vassell gets the ball. We looked really flat in that half; let's hope Pardew can spark them into a response in the second half. The way it's going it will be 2 or 3 to City.
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    i agree with above.. rommers on for m bent.. if thomas carries on the way he is.. ambrose on for thomas. stick ZZ in behind that is where he has looked best every time!

btw how can anyone other than Scott Carson get player of the Season... keeping us in it once again! I'm actually quite positive as Pards always gets them going at half time. Decent crowd performance from what i can hear!

Loooks like quite a few are standing as well, and thats at the front!
  • Options
    Thomas has been wasteful with crosses, but I still think he is one of, if not our most dangerous players. All it could take is one right cross like he almost did when Dunne just got a touch out for a corner, and it could be much like the home game against City.

Having someone like Thomas also means the right back can't get forward as much. Could be the same with Romm if he comes on as the defenders will be scared of his pace. At the moment ZZ is spending more time infield so Ball can get further forward.
  • Options
    To be honest Pete Vassell is very quick and will do Young every time however LY needs to stay forward to stop him and the rest of the back 4 dragged backward because of this pace
  • Options
    JTs delivery has been awful
  • Options
    ffs thomas is even worse this half!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We're offering nothing up front. Get MB off put Romm on for the last 30 mins
  • Options
    That's us out the bottom three...
  • Options
    Looked better with ZZ playing off D Bent. But why was Marcus playing right wing for the whole of the 2nd half. Pards obviously didn't trust Romm to do the defensive bit I suppose. That has to be Thomas' worst ever game in a Charlton shirt. I kept thinking he would get that one cross right, but NO.

I would have accepted a point before the game, but it was a very disappointing performance. Credit to Carson & ElKak (for his defensive work, not his free kick taking - which was almost on a par with Thomas).
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]I can't see this game finishing nil-nil.

I know a good optician, BFR *winky, smiley thing*
  • Options
    We should have made subs earlier...Romm for Thomas. I thought Thomas' crossing and set pieces were awful. I would have replaced MB as well.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]I can't see this game finishing nil-nil.[/quote]

I know a good optician, BFR *winky, smiley thing*[/quote]

That's why I said it!!
  • Options
    LOL !
  • Options
    a point is ok...but I think we could have won it...if ZZ could have stuck that one away.....we were the better team the last 20 mins
  • Options
    Agreed. Good to see us at least finishing the game strongly.

Another clean sheet. If only Zhengy had done the biz......
  • Options
    to be fair to ZZ the ball was slightly behind him when it was passed.....