Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

East Terrace

Anyone got any huge old pictures of the east stand that I can use as my desktop background?

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2014
    It'll be back to that sorry state once the A block riff-raff get in there......................

Edit: Looking at the 2nd pic above, I notice the terrace actually has more grass on it than our pitch currently does.
  • Options
    Great pic - that first one.
  • Options
    Hello LeedsAddick, a few East Terrace Photos.
  • Options
    I often thought that when they smashed down the old East terrace they should have broken it up and sold bits in the club shop.
  • Options

It'll be back to that sorry state once the A block riff-raff get in there.......................

The A Block Ultras you mean?

• Options
    Ended up breaking my laptop the same night I posted this thread but cheers everyone, will use some when I get it back from apple
  • Options
    Imagine how good it would have been with a roof on a la Kippax at Maine Road. Does anyone know if this was ever talked about back in the day?
  • Options
    edited April 2014
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I know we all love the East Terrace, and like to bang on about how it was the biggest, but was it really bigger than Stamford Bridge?

• Options
    Yes, it was bigger. No cut off bits at the corners and much steeper. I stood at SB for a game in the rain vs Spurs in 1970. 60k in the whole ground but packed on that side terrace in the rain. 2-0 Chivers with both....
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    I often thought that when they smashed down the old East terrace they should have broken it up and sold bits in the club shop.
    Didn't need to break it up it was already mostly rubble, well the bit I stood was. I could have probably have taken a barrier home with me.
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:
    Yes, it was bigger. No cut off bits at the corners and much steeper. I stood at SB for a game in the rain vs Spurs in 1970. 60k in the whole ground but packed on that side terrace in the rain. 2-0 Chivers with both....
    Yes, I was at that match, luckily in the dry under that  double tier stand in the corner. I think it was so wet they considered calling the game off at one stage.
    I am sure Alan Mullery scored one of the goals.

• Options
    edited April 2023
    Simonsen said:
    Imagine how good it would have been with a roof on a la Kippax at Maine Road. Does anyone know if this was ever talked about back in the day?
    JS:
    'As secretary-manager I had to carry the can, but I can assure you that the economic situation was strictly the policy of the directors. I would have been happy to be in the position to sign the cheques for the building of adequate stands and the buying of star players to attract larger crowds, and in many ways to try and brighten up The Valley.'
    'As I have told you, the Glikstens put plenty of cash into the launching the new Charlton, but with costs mounting it was soon made clear to me that there wouldn't be any cheque-book spree. They quite rightly wanted the cash that they had put into the club to be paid back as soon as conveniently possible, and when it was all returned they did not want to finance the club again.'
    'Charlton too made a mistake [after not signing Stanley Matthews] in 1937 after reaching the First Division. I raised to subject of building a new stand. Albert Gliksten came back quickly: "Will you guarantee to keep the club in the First Division for three seasons?!
    I have never been super-optimistic, and replied that while I thought our boys were good enough to stay in Division One, I wouldn't feel justified in sticking out my chin by offering a guarantee that no manager in the country could make unless he was a born gambler. I'm not. "Right," said the chairman, "there'll be no new stand at The Valley."
    'A stand could have been built in 1937 at a third of the cost today [1957]. One of the reasons for the poor gates at Charlton must be put down to inadequate stand accommodation.'
    He also wrote about crowds drifting away during matches when it was cold and raining.

@Simonsen
  • Options
    So.....it was all Jimmy Seeds fault that we had no roof over the East Terrace. I say we rip his name off the South Stand & replace it with Dowies....😆😆😆
  • Options
    I know we all love the East Terrace, and like to bang on about how it was the biggest, but was it really bigger than Stamford Bridge?

Do you post on another forum? ;)
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Simonsen said:
    JS:
    'As secretary-manager I had to carry the can, but I can assure you that the economic situation was strictly the policy of the directors. I would have been happy to be in the position to sign the cheques for the building of adequate stands and the buying of star players to attract larger crowds, and in many ways to try and brighten up The Valley.'
    'As I have told you, the Glikstens put plenty of cash into the launching the new Charlton, but with costs mounting it was soon made clear to me that there wouldn't be any cheque-book spree. They quite rightly wanted the cash that they had put into the club to be paid back as soon as conveniently possible, and when it was all returned they did not want to finance the club again.'
    'Charlton too made a mistake [after not signing Stanley Matthews] in 1937 after reaching the First Division. I raised to subject of building a new stand. Albert Gliksten came back quickly: "Will you guarantee to keep the club in the First Division for three seasons?!
    I have never been super-optimistic, and replied that while I thought our boys were good enough to stay in Division One, I wouldn't feel justified in sticking out my chin by offering a guarantee that no manager in the country could make unless he was a born gambler. I'm not. "Right," said the chairman, "there'll be no new stand at The Valley."
    'A stand could have been built in 1937 at a third of the cost today [1957]. One of the reasons for the poor gates at Charlton must be put down to inadequate stand accommodation.'
    He also wrote about crowds drifting away during matches when it was cold and raining.

@Simonsen
    This sums up why Charlton never reached their full potential. The Glikstens only invested money in the mid 30's and it was all paid back. The sale of Eddie Firmani in 1955 made sure their money was repaid , but we were relegated a year later. The board minutes of the time make for very sad reading. What might have been , if the club had had even a small amount of ambition.
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:
    Yes, I was at that match, luckily in the dry under that  double tier stand in the corner. I think it was so wet they considered calling the game off at one stage.
    I am sure Alan Mullery scored one of the goals.

The East Terrace at the valley was bigger, but when I first went to Stamford Bridge in 1966 that Terrace had , had. Seats put on it. Not the whole of it but most of it. 58,000 that day.