Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Players taking corners

Perhaps I am being pedantic,and difficult for Referees Assistant to see from the other side of the pitch,but how many players take corners with the ball outside the Quadrant ? Watching Scottish football highlight,s yesterday it happened several time,s as it also does in English Games.

Comments

• Options
    Exactly the same for foul throws! I've lost count of how many I've seen at the Valley this season, by both Charlton and visiting teams. Seriously, how difficult is it to keep your rear foot planted?
  • Options
    I Remember when Martin Pringle (?) scored from a corner in the Boxing Day 4-2 win over Chelsea and their fans were going crazy cos the ball was an inch outside the Quadrant
  • Options
    Also with throw ins, they are never taken from the same spot as the ball went out,player,s always steel a yard, or more.The F.A and Football League should go back to the days when the then so called Linesman ran the whole line,from corner flag to corner flag.
  • Options

I Remember when Martin Pringle (?) scored from a corner in the Boxing Day 4-2 win over Chelsea and their fans were going crazy cos the ball was an inch outside the Quadrant

Just seen that Pringle didnt score (or play in that 4-2) so was either the 2-0 win a few years earlier or it was Holland that scored from the dubious corner
  • Options
    Derek1952 said:

Also with throw ins, they are never taken from the same spot as the ball went out,player,s always steel a yard, or more.The F.A and Football League should go back to the days when the then so called Linesman ran the whole line,from corner flag to corner flag.

Cant remember which game it was (Might have been QPR) but clearly heard the Linesman in front of me calling to the QPR player taking a thrown in that he needed to come back a good few yards if he wanted to do a run-up.

The big word as always in Football is consistency
  • Options

It was Martin Pringle but I remember it being in a dying moments of a 2-0 win. Anyone care to confirm/repudiate?
  • Options

It was Martin Pringle but I remember it being in a dying moments of a 2-0 win. Anyone care to confirm/repudiate?
    Thought so... Must have been the one in Nov. 2000 - http://www.soccerbase.com/teams/head_to_head.sd?team_id=527&team2_id=536
  • Options
    Forgot we did the double over them twice on the trot.
  • Options

Thought so... Must have been the one in Nov. 2000 - http://www.soccerbase.com/teams/head_to_head.sd?team_id=527&team2_id=536

I think I remember this ,did Kinsella take the corner? he was notorious for placing the ball outside the D.
  • Options
    The ball doesnt have to be touching the quadrant, just a part of the ball has to be at least over it (if that makes sense)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Richard J said:

I think I remember this ,did Kinsella take the corner? he was notorious for placing the ball outside the D.
    Pretty sure it was Kinsella yeah

The ball doesnt have to be touching the quadrant, just a part of the ball has to be at least over it (if that makes sense)

Same with a goal though isnt it (i.e. like Lewis Holtby against Villa last week)... If a centimetre of the ball is on one of the lines (i.e. goal-line, corner etc...) then its still in play
  • Options
    Richard J said:

Some of Kins corners were taken from inside the penalty box they were so far outside the quadrant.

Used to get away with it all the time.

Remember that goal v Chelsea. We were 1 up late on. Pringle was only CAFC player in the box, Chelsea had left a lot of players upfield and Kins took a quick corner and Prings nodded in unmarked.
  • Options
    Derek1952 said:

My father-in-law refs local Sunday league games, and he said when a player tries to take a throw-in further down the line, he always makes them go further and further downfield, until they say "No, it was in 'x' spot". To which he replies "Oh, so you did know where it was meant to be taken from then?"
  • Options

Richard J said:

Some of Kins corners were taken from inside the penalty box they were so far outside the quadrant.

Used to get away with it all the time.

Remember that goal v Chelsea. We were 1 up late on. Pringle was only CAFC player in the box, Chelsea had left a lot of players upfield and Kins took a quick corner and Prings nodded in unmarked.
    I thought the moaning was because pringle was off the pitch and came back on?
  • Options

Exactly. The ball can be outside the quadrant, as long as part of the ball is "over" ie by 1mm, the quadrant line.

I noticed all of Steve Gerards' corners were taken from "outside" the quadrant on Sunday.