Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Class of 92 vs our academy

edited April 2014 in General Charlton
I was just thinking how well our academy lads have done this season and the impact it could have on Cafc over the next couple of years,

The class of 92 for Manchester United was huge and made them a force I'm not saying we're gonna do what they done but to bring through a big group of players in one season was huge,
Man utd had Nicky Butt , g Neville , p Neville , D Beckham , Giggs and Scholes but I think what our academy have done this season is amazing bringing through , Dillon Phillips , Diego poyet , Harry Lennon , Morgan fox , jordan cousins and joe piggot along with solly and harriot in the last couple of seasons .
I just hope we keep hold of these lads and Holmes Dennis , K Grant and most importantly Gomez
The futures bright with this team and these youngsters !

Comments

• Options
    I wish I could LOL a topic title.
  • Options
    Absolutely agree - a very talented group. There's a lot to look forward to if we can bring these guys through and, importantly, continue to support their development once they make the first team.
  • Options
    No chance of keeping Gomez, England under 17 international, I believe he has captained them as well, Arsenal already stole Semi Ajayi Chelsea took Kasey Palmer, can see Joe Gomez going the same way tapped up by a bigger team before we have signed him on a pro contract.
  • Options

No chance of keeping Gomez, England under 17 international, I believe he has captained them as well, Arsenal already stole Semi Ajayi Chelsea took Kasey Palmer, can see Joe Gomez going the same way tapped up by a bigger team before we have signed him on a pro contract.

To be fair we only offered ajayi a 6 month contract if we offered more he would of stayed . But losing Palmer was a big blow he impressed me a lot , but your right Gomez will be hard to keep but I'm Optimistic.
  • Options

I wish I could LOL a topic title.

I meant in the grand scheme of things, how important a group of good youth players could be to a championship team trying to break even.
  • Options
    edited April 2014

I wouldn't worry to much about the youth caps, as impressive as they are - Cousins has played at U16/17/18 level, and so has Solly (U16/17 level).

A fair amount of our Academy at the moment seems to have http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlton_Athletic_F.C._Academy#National_Team_Caps

In the case of Ajayi, I don't think Arsenal stole him - didn't he have a trial there because we didn't offer him anything?

I think it's clear that RD see's youth development as a key part of his business plan, and for that reason I feel quite optimistic about the club actively seeking a way of keeping these lads whilst they develop. It wont be easy...
  • Options
    The difference is, Utd were never in a position where they would have to sell their best youth players before they've even reached 25. They were also fortunate that those players could develop in a title-winning side and around some of the best players in the country / world.
  • Options
    You might like to make the comparison with the CAFC class of 92? Weren't we knocked out in the FA youth cup semi finals by Man Utd? All those players coming through took us from mid table to a couple of cracks at the play offs...and the sale of one player - Lee bowyer - funded the team building in 1998.
  • Options

The difference is, Utd were never in a position where they would have to sell their best youth players before they've even reached 25. They were also fortunate that those players could develop in a title-winning side and around some of the best players in the country / world.

I was relying on you to be negative lol ok a different spin on it then Diego poyet could sign a new contract and be sold next season for 5-10 mil so that would help a lot . Plus Murray has already came out and said that we don't have to sell our youngsters any more .
  • Options

You might like to make the comparison with the CAFC class of 92? Weren't we knocked out in the FA youth cup semi finals by Man Utd? All those players coming through took us from mid table to a couple of cracks at the play offs...and the sale of one player - Lee bowyer - funded the team building in 1998.

Yeah that's true but how would you compare the players that are coming through now to the 92 Charlton side then like you said that team moved us up the league .
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yann897 said:

To be fair we only offered ajayi a 6 month contract if we offered more he would of stayed . But losing Palmer was a big blow he impressed me a lot , but your right Gomez will be hard to keep but I'm Optimistic.
    Gomez is 17 in less than a month I believe. Could be an interesting few weeks!
  • Options
    Yann897 said:

I was relying on you to be negative lol ok a different spin on it then Diego poyet could sign a new contract and be sold next season for 5-10 mil so that would help a lot . Plus Murray has already came out and said that we don't have to sell our youngsters any more .
    Ha - I wasn't necessarily being negative about it at all. IF we could keep hold of them, as Murray stated we are now in position to following RD's takeover (I'll believe it when I see it), then we could have the core of a really good side than can play and develop together over the next few seasons.

Cousins and Poyet, in theory, could be at the heart of our midfield for years to come, along with Harriott if he can develop. Fox and Solly can also back this up. Academy players aside, let's not forget that the rest of the squad are very young and few of them are over the age of 30. Hamer, Wilson, Morrison, Wiggins to name just a few amd even Astrit if we can get him on a permanent deal.

The trouble is, so many of them are out of contract this summer and the last two to three years will be wasted and we have to start all over again, which is a problem that could easily have been avoided by both regimes.

It also depends on RD's plans, which we'll find out over the summer. Will he tie the aforementioned players down to new, long-term deals or will he farm them off and bring over young players from across Europe and his networks?
  • Options
    Ben18 said:

Yann897 said:

Gomez is 17 in less than a month I believe. Could be an interesting few weeks!
    Yeah just looked 23rd May, Come on RD get the pen out
  • Options

Rubbish that we made the Youth Cup Semi Finals in 92, nor were we knocked out by United in 92
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:

Rubbish that we made the Youth Cup Semi Finals in 92, nor were we knocked out by United in 92
    We were last year though? I think thats what he meant.
  • Options

Yann897 said:

Ha - I wasn't necessarily being negative about it at all. IF we could keep hold of them, as Murray stated we are now in position to following RD's takeover (I'll believe it when I see it), then we could have the core of a really good side than can play and develop together over the next few seasons.

Cousins and Poyet, in theory, could be at the heart of our midfield for years to come, along with Harriott if he can develop. Fox and Solly can also back this up. Academy players aside, let's not forget that the rest of the squad are very young and few of them are over the age of 30. Hamer, Wilson, Morrison, Wiggins to name just a few amd even Astrit if we can get him on a permanent deal.

The trouble is, so many of them are out of contract this summer and the last two to three years will be wasted and we have to start all over again, which is a problem that could easily have been avoided by both regimes.

It also depends on RD's plans, which we'll find out over the summer. Will he tie the aforementioned players down to new, long-term deals or will he farm them off and bring over young players from across Europe and his networks?
    Na I'm only joking it's just you have been quite negative about Charlton recently so when I see you posted I thought it would be but I actually agree with most of your points that we have got a young team and it would be great to build around these great young players but nobody knows what RDs plans are for the summer I just hope we can get hamer, Morrison, dervite and poyet all signed up along with the youth players because if we do add some quality we could be in for a good season , but unfortunately we don't know what's gonna happen over the summer .
  • Options
    LuckyReds said:

JohnnyH2 said:

We were last year though? I think thats what he meant.
    Watched that game, it was the year before last I think, We put on a great performance, was down to 10 men cos of a injury, the players that were out there looked dead on there feet and united scored in like the 100th minute(I think there was about 10 minutes added on and it was the last kick off the game) I remember watching with my brother on TV
  • Options
    Yann897 said:

Yann897 said:

Na I'm only joking it's just you have been quite negative about Charlton recently so when I see you posted I thought it would be but I actually agree with most of your points that we have got a young team and it would be great to build around these great young players but nobody knows what RDs plans are for the summer I just hope we can get hamer, Morrison, dervite and poyet all signed up along with the youth players because if we do add some quality we could be in for a good season , but unfortunately we don't know what's gonna happen over the summer .
    I have been negative because Riga's football bores me and I don't think it's progressive. I get frustrated when I watch the likes of Liverpool, Dortmund and Southampton's high pressing game and quick passing and movement. I know that's ridiculous but I'd at least like us to try...anyway, that's a whole different thread! I still can't get over Powell or Yann either, as pathetic as that sounds! Now, back to our academy...
  • Options

Yann897 said:

Yann897 said:

I have been negative because Riga's football bores me and I don't think it's progressive. I get frustrated when I watch the likes of Liverpool, Dortmund and Southampton's high pressing game and quick passing and movement. I know that's ridiculous but I'd at least like us to try...anyway, that's a whole different thread! I still can't get over Powell or Yann either, as pathetic as that sounds! Now, back to our academy...
    No we certainly won't go over it but lol , you liked powells hoofball but not rigas gentle approach from the back ??
    And have you ever thought that we're not gonna play a pressing game all the time we have 2 games a week for several weeks ?

Anyway back to the youth fantastic that fox and Phillips has signed up just for the rest of them now , I think fox has done very well since coming in .

• Options
    Yann897 said:

Yann897 said:

Yann897 said:

No we certainly won't go over it but lol , you liked powells hoofball but not rigas gentle approach from the back ??
    And have you ever thought that we're not gonna play a pressing game all the time we have 2 games a week for several weeks ?

Anyway back to the youth fantastic that fox and Phillips has signed up just for the rest of them now , I think fox has done very well since coming in .

It was only toward the end of his tenure he played hoofball. I thought we played good football under Powell until this season.

On the pressing game, that's a very good point you make, and I hope we adopt it next season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Yann897 said:

Yann897 said:

Yann897 said:

It was only toward the end of his tenure he played hoofball. I thought we played good football under Powell until this season.

On the pressing game, that's a very good point you make, and I hope we adopt it next season.
    To be fair I think the only part of powells time we never played hoofball is when yann didn't play with the best football being played when Hayes was in the team .
  • Options
    Yann897 said:

Why did we only offer Ajayi a 6 month contract? He looked like a monster of a CB when I saw him. Playing very well at Arsenal too.
  • Options

Yann897 said:

Why did we only offer Ajayi a 6 month contract? He looked like a monster of a CB when I saw him. Playing very well at Arsenal too.
    Mate who watches their U21's reckons he's not great and won't make it with them. Got the physicality but not pace nor brain to make it at the highest level
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:

My bad! 1994-95 quarter final...we took them to a replay. I can't find the team anywhere but I'm sure a few of them broke through.

• Options
    Pope
    Solly
    Gomez
    Lennon
    Fox
    Harriot
    Poyet
    Cousins
    Holmes-Denis
    Ahearne-Grant
    Piggot

Bench
    Edwards
    Muldoon
    Banjanu
    Wilson
    Phillips

I wonder how good these players will be in 4 years time and how many will still be with us. Not to mention Shelvey, Jenkinson, Palmer, Ajayi, Herbert and even McGinty who is young enough to still turn it around.

My guess is that at least 6 of the squad above will be PL which would be absolutely phenomenal (and slightly gutting if we are still in the champ/League 1 making big losses!

Ps I know I cheat a bit with Pope who is not technically a youth product and Banjanu who also is not and has not even signed for us, lol.
  • Options

Yann897 said:

I think mainly down to money but the main fact is Lennon and feeling was rated higher .