Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Getting to the Valley from Heathrow

Flying in tomorrow for a family visit and the first item on the agenda is the Blackburn game. Picking up our hire car and driving straight to the Valley. this'll be the first time I've made that particular trip so does anyone have any suggestions on the best route?

Google maps suggest Chelsea Embankment and then around the South Circular but that seems like a bit of a recipe for traffic problems, even on a Saturday lunchtime. Any suggestions or should that route be fine. Another option is the Embankment/The Highway & through the Blackwall Tunnel or scoot up to the A40 and come through the City which was my Dad's preferred route when we used to drive down from the West Midlands. Or do I just keep it simple and go the long but easy way around - M25/A20?

Comments

• Options
    Id go M25 /A2
  • Options

Id go M25 /A2

Definitely. A lot more miles but very much quicker - all the traffic, traffic lights, bus lanes etc means going through London takes for ever. I live about 25 miles west of Heathrow and it takes me about an hour and a half to get to the Valley.
  • Options
    If you land early and can be on the road before 8.30am, I'd drive into town, turn down through Earls Court, along the Embankment, over Lambeth Bridge, Elephant, Old Kent Road, Blackheath. Under an hour and options if there us traffic. A bad accident on the M25 and you're well delayed.....
  • Options
    RobRob
    edited April 2014
    I've done this trip many times. I usually get the South Circular starting at Kew Bridge because I'm paranoid of accidents on the M25. However, the M25/A20 route is the best if you want a hassle free drive as long as there are no accidents.
  • Options
    If hitting the road early, before 9am, then, yeah, go thru' town
  • Options

If you land early and can be on the road before 8.30am, I'd drive into town, turn down through Earls Court, along the Embankment, over Lambeth Bridge, Elephant, Old Kent Road, Blackheath. Under an hour and options if there us traffic. A bad accident on the M25 and you're well delayed.....

With you on the first bit, but follow river to tower bridge, a13, tunnel.
  • Options
    Dont listen to people about going thru town- do the M25 - have a listen on the radio as you get the car, see if there are any hold-ups on M25 and go the route north or south that isnt affected - although its extremely rare that there is a problem - maybe once in 30 when i've used the Motorway- if that.
    Dont do town !!!!
  • Options
    Okay thanks guys. Our flight touches down at 11:45 so we're already cutting it quite fine for time. I was leaning towards the motorway option, reckon I'll stick to that. Gives us the best chance of making it I reckon.
  • Options
    half the distance roughly through town but only if v.early, if not bothered about distance etc simplest is m25/a2, some might even say m25 north/m11/a12 - thoughts on the latter anyone?
  • Options
    razil said:

half the distance roughly through town but only if v.early, if not bothered about distance etc simplest is m25/a2, some might even say m25 north/m11/a12 - thoughts on the latter anyone?

This.
    M11/A12 is an option - but only an option if south is blocked- else M25/A2 - you should do it in 1 hour 20/30 if no hold ups. As i said, check on radio or online before you get on M25- but more than likely that south is ok and is def the best route.
    I do this route regularly, and is def the quickest and with least likelihood of snarl-ups.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thanks guys just arrived at Edmonton airport to discover that our flight is delayed due to strike action in Reykjavik through which we are catching a connecting flight. Guess that's the risk you take when you book you book a £400 return flight from Canada to England. Unfortunately that means it's pretty unlikely I'll get to the ground on time. Bummer.
  • Options
    Real shame, Exiled.
  • Options
    Oh well, Watford on Tuesday though.
  • Options
    Yup, was maybe gonna give Watford a miss, lots of people to see back home and a long drive down from Kidderminater means a midweek game takes a whole day but I'll definitely be there now. Got Blackpool tickets too so not all is lost! I might still make it but it looks highly unlikely so if anyone wants tickets for tomorrow there may be an old(ish) bearded fella in a flat cap selling a couple outside the west stand tomorrow!
  • Options
    Oh well, matey - you were leaving it a bit tight anyway, and more than likely that if Reykjavik ATC wasnt gonna get you, then no doubt Heathrow Passport Control would !
  • Options

Oh well, matey - you were leaving it a bit tight anyway, and more than likely that if Reykjavik ATC wasnt gonna get you, then no doubt Heathrow Passport Control would !

Yeah, or an orifice search by customs, or the baggage handlers, or the bus to the car rental office on the North Perimeter Rd.
  • Options

My preferred route
  • Options
    Put on a red boiler suit and jump out of the plane as it goes over The Valley.
  • Options
    Add a parachute and you are good to go.
  • Options
    What time did you get in in the end Exiled_Addick?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    aliwibble said:

See traveling probably :-)
  • Options
    That's tough Exiled, good to hear though that you will be making the Watford game from Kiddy!
  • Options
    Rob said:

aliwibble said:

See traveling probably :-)
    Got off the plane at about 12:45 but was about 2 by the time we cleared immigration and got our hire car. Made it back to kiddy in time to listen to Pete and Terry's second half commentary. Would have just about made ko at the valley it if we had landed on time.

• Options
    You missed nothing.