Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

the divvy commentary on cafc player

Honestly - these two make me wanna slit my wrists! Is it just me??

Comments

• Options

yes it's just you

RIP

• Options
    Definitely you!!!!
  • Options

"Are you Emma in disguise.....?"

• Options
    I like the two guys on CAFC players...peter finch is one of them. They do forget the team we are playing every now and again but light hearted and very biased commentary. Love it!!
  • Options
    They are knowledgeable Charlton fans and are both good to listen to. That's more than can be said for other commentators.
  • Options
    Killers Beard is about as Charlton as you get. Proper fan, proper lovely geezer. Give him a break, yeah?
  • Options
    Just re-enrolled in Player after a couple of years absence because of the new commentary being provided.
  • Options
    LoOkOuT said:

Just re-enrolled in Player after a couple of years absence because of the new commentary being provided.

Same for me. One of the few improvements around our club this season.

• Options
    After the Everton commentary today, I found these two to be a real treat...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    They are great - so biased its brilliant.
  • Options
    One of the highlights is listening to Finchy trying to pronounce the names of some of the foriegners............
  • Options
    Well I for one can't wait to hear Finchy and KB blubbering over the mike when we go up via the playoffs at wembley in a year or twos time.
    #legendpotential

;-)
  • Options
    pete f and co are doing a great job and making my job of doing the match thread so much easier....they describe the action not what colour boots players are wearing!!! Keep it up lads....looking forward to next season!!
  • Options
    Well, it definitely is biased towards Charlton which is what you would expect. Peter Finch is a bit too excitable for me though. He'll probably tone that down with experience. Our every move sounds like it is a potential goal opportunity so I'm continually having heart attacks. I think good trained audio commentators use the intonations of their voices to put over the emotions of what is going on in the game and know how to build the play up and tone it down at the right time. Consequently, it is a bit difficult to get a true reflection of how the game is really going. This isn't meant as a criticism as they aren't seasoned pros. I certainly prefer this to the Emma dross.

I think they are primarily fans so their commentary comes over as such. This is very evident, for example, when you hear them shouting about the bias of the referee and screaming that every tackle should either have been a foul for us or a foul against the opposition. We all know that, in reality, this isn't true. This particular bias is probably as old as the hills in football.
  • Options

Nope, not just you, pathetic - far too biaised, result is - havent got a clue how game is really going

• Options
    Rob said:

Well, it definitely is biased towards Charlton which is what you would expect. Peter Finch is a bit too excitable for me though. He'll probably tone that down with experience. Our every move sounds like it is a potential goal opportunity so I'm continually having heart attacks. I think good trained audio commentators use the intonations of their voices to put over the emotions of what is going on in the game and know how to build the play up and tone it down at the right time. Consequently, it is a bit difficult to get a true reflection of how the game is really going. This isn't meant as a criticism as they aren't seasoned pros. I certainly prefer this to the Emma dross.

I think they are primarily fans so their commentary comes over as such. This is very evident, for example, when you hear them shouting about the bias of the referee and screaming that every tackle should either have been a foul for us or a foul against the opposition. We all know that, in reality, this isn't true. This particular bias is probably as old as the hills in football.

I think this is a fair assessment although I will add that I had no idea what was going on during games when the professionals were providing the commentary and Emma was not the only one who was lacking. The new service is a vast improvement.
  • Options
    keep up the good work Finchy and is it Smithy?
  • Options
    I often used to switch to the opponents commentary but Finchy and Co are great!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just to add another two pennorth worth, post match cl comments in no way reflect commentary
  • Options
    sooooo much better than jamie and emma.... that's the key point for me

not too fussed about the obvious bias
  • Options
    Anyway I'll be at The Valley tuesday, so wont be listening
  • Options
    what kind of div uses the expression "divvy" in 2014?! Didn't know we were in primary school in the early noughties (nawties)
  • Options
    Thanks all, hopefully we will get better with experience.
  • Options
    One of the highlights this season was listening to it nearly kicking off at Hillsborough because @PeteF was celebrating Sordell's second and third goals so passionately in the press box.... sounded like it nearly got a bit hairy, great stuff.

End of the day the commentary team recently have described the action and been entertaining at the same time, not easy, and especially not easy considering some of the dross they've had to commentate on!
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Think they're doing a great job, especially for a pair of amateurs. This thread just goes to prove you can't please all of the people all of the time.
  • Options
    edited April 2014

One of the highlights this season was listening to it nearly kicking off at Hillsborough because @PeteF was celebrating Sordell's second and third goals so passionately in the press box.... sounded like it nearly got a bit hairy, great stuff.

End of the day the commentary team recently have described the action and been entertaining at the same time, not easy, and especially not easy considering some of the dross they've had to commentate on!

Also at Leeds when Big Norm (Norman Hunter) was giving them the evil eye when we scored !! made me laugh
  • Options

what kind of div uses the expression "divvy" in 2014?! Didn't know we were in primary school in the early noughties (nawties)

What kind of divvy used the "divvy" expression in the 00's? It was far more popular in the 80's, when it was propagated by the divs on the classic divvy show, Brookside.

A bubble perm & a moustache were the key to delivering the most cutting use of the term! All other claims are deemed unofficial, a bit like a market stall football top. :-)

As for the commentators, whilst Pete's brain moves quicker than his mouth sometimes (or vice versa - a bit like my dad), when it comes to team names, :-) the passion he, & the other chap, provide, & the far better description/analysis of the game, make it a far more immersive, & Charlton experience, than Emma's monotone monologues about hairstyles & who's saying what on Twitter.

Whilst they aren't as 'pro' as some commentators, the way I see/hear it is, they can only get better with more experience.

Keep up the good work chaps!

• Options
    Calm down calm down