Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Article in the guardian today about Reza

Full page article in today's Guardian about Reza Ghoochannejhad titled FROM IRAN TO BRAZIL VIA CHARLTON _ THE STRIKER WHO HOPES TO FEEL GOOSE BUMPS ON TWO FRONTS.

Comments

• Worst forward I have ever seen .
    Can not see for the life of me what he offers . His first touch is a pass has no strength no pace no vision can't head the ball useless
  • He's not as good as he thinks he is but think he will in time?
  • they love Iran in that paper. if only we had a few Bangladeshis in our side, we would have a feature every week.
  • He's not as good as he thinks he is but think he will in time?

He's on loan to us isn't he? So he might come good, but we won't get to see it. Welcome to Roland's world.

Unless I'm mistaken, he's the only forward we've signed apart from Invisible Pete, since RD took over, so effectively he's Kermorgant's replacement. Not fit to polish his boots.
  • He's what I call a school playground player. Thinks he's the best player, doesn't pass and tries to beat everyone on his own. Don't rate him at all...
  • MrLargo said:

He's not as good as he thinks he is but think he will in time?

He's on loan to us isn't he? So he might come good, but we won't get to see it. Welcome to Roland's world.

Unless I'm mistaken, he's the only forward we've signed apart from Invisible Pete, since RD took over, so effectively he's Kermorgant's replacement. Not fit to polish his boots.
    Signed a two year contract in January according to Henry's latest update http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/60840/updated-squad-and-contract-list-20-march-2014
  • Sponsored links:

• itsmyball said:

Worst forward I have ever seen .

Not even close.

• He clearly has ability but he needs to learn that you don't get much time on the ball in this league. He wants too many touches and also lacks vision. A few times yesterday he got caught in possession when there was a simple pass on to someone in a better position.

• He'll probably score out in Brasil......................but not on the pitch!
  • He was alright against Leeds.... some short memories on here
  • One game.

Church was brilliant at Wednesday in the cup but doesn't make him a world beater.
  • WSSWSS
    edited April 2014
    Mooney was/is better
  • He is better than Pawell Abbott
  • WSS said:

Mooney was/is better

Debatable whether he was at the time, but what about Abbott, Sodje, Benson and Nouble?

Reza like all our strikers has his moments but overall hasn't been good enough. He made poor decisions yesterday but he's a poacher we mainly use out wide probably because he's not strong enough to play up front.

Funny how opinions change from game to game. Remember that post to Riga the other day? Plenty were agreeing with it that Sordell shouldn't play and that Reza should start alongside Church or Obika.

So much blame is on the strikers but as well as better strikers we need to improve our midfield. We don't have a Championship standard winger and I feel something is probably missing from the middle whatever combination we play.
  • Sponsored links:

• I accept that he may have some technical ability, and can strike when he gets in a position to do so. However what bothered me most was that he didn't look remotely interested in the team. He came on and Church tried to tell him something, and it seemed Reza wasn't even bothering to listen. At one point he was staring down at the grass as if wondering how a player of his talent ever ended up on this. And then there were all the bad decisions in possession that everyone has listed. He has no interest in playing his football here. That's my biggest problem with him, and I fear the network idea will bring other examples like this.
  • He is better than Pawell Abbott

A phrase that applies to every male on the planet.
  • Have yet to be impressed with him. Summed up yesterday when he cut inside from the right with the ball, drawing in the LB, solly made an excellent run into the space. Reza had the option to pass it to solly or play a simple sideways pass to Poyet. He chose option 3, which was to try to take on the 3 opposition players in front of him. Needless to say, he didn't get past the first one, leaving Solly to bust a gut to get back into position.

One thing I found amusing was, with about 10 mins left, the guy behind me was shouting "C'mon Reza, you're supposed to be a forward, You're too deep, etc", moaning about him being in our own half and playing behind about 4 of our own players. He was screaming at him to get forward. I then turned to the guy and pointed out that the player he was shouting at was in fact Petrucci. Cue piss taking from his wife and kids...............
  • I accept that he may have some technical ability, and can strike when he gets in a position to do so. However what bothered me most was that he didn't look remotely interested in the team. He came on and Church tried to tell him something, and it seemed Reza wasn't even bothering to listen. At one point he was staring down at the grass as if wondering how a player of his talent ever ended up on this. And then there were all the bad decisions in possession that everyone has listed. He has no interest in playing his football here. That's my biggest problem with him, and I fear the network idea will bring other examples like this.

Totally agree. He obviously has a bit of pace and ability, but he is not suited to the English game. He doesnt have the strength to play through the middle, as emphasised by the number of times he goes over when challenged and he tries to do it all on his own from the wide areas. He should have put the overlapping Solly away twice yesterday but chose to go it alone and lost the ball. inexcusable in a team game.

The other worrying aspect is who in the new set up decided he was capable of fitting into English football? I hope they do a proper job the next time they send SL reserves over to play in the Championship. And...where is Phil Chapple in all this? Surely he would have advised on the type of forward you need in to play against Championship defences. If the new set up chose to ignore the advice from the existing staff & manager- which would be my guess - perhaps they have now learnt the hard way and will be less arrogant next time around. JR could have done with more depth during the run-in instead of the Mis-fits who arrived in January and are obviously not suited to English football.
  • Not sure he is the right player for the English game - at least at Championship level or above, but his great goal at Leeds was vital to our cause.
  • He will be a good player for us next year. Would be happy if we had him as Sordell as first choice partnership in the Championship beleve there are goals there. He is talented.
  • Him and Sordell would smash L1, Championship though?

To be fair Prague, having seen all his home games, I think it is unfair to say he does not want to be here. I think, as we have all said, he has been found wanting and what you have interpreted as disinterest is confusion and bafflement. I think he is trying too hard hence trying to take on the opposition defence at least twice before he releases the ball to a better placed player and shooting from every distance.

He's not the player we want, he's not got the abilities or qualities we need but I don't believe it's a lack of interest or effort.

If Church was telling you how to score a goal, would you listen????

;-)
  • Can't believe no one has mentioned that dive on Saturday!