Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Influx of Belgians since January

edited April 2014 in General Charlton
Anyone noticed more groups of people sitting near you at home games not speaking the queens English especially speaking Dutch, French, German or Flemish since Roland has taken over. Is young Kensell sweating the asset to Liege and other parts of Belgium?

Comments

• Options
    shirty5 said:

Anyone noticed more groups of people sitting near you at home games not speaking the queens English especially speaking Dutch, French, German or Flemish since Roland has taken over. Is young Kensell sweating the asset to Liege and other parts of Belgium?

Not me no, only difference i have noticed is less people lol,
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

Definitely in the West Upper. Different groups each game.

• Options
    Yep, loads of Dutch
  • Options
    I`m sorry, but I am sure there is still only one Belgium.
  • Options

I`m sorry, but I am sure there is still only one Belgium.

Not for long as the Flemish is pushing hard for self government... There's two cultures and languages so the "Belgiums" is becoming a reality soon.

• Options
    Loads on the bus earlier from north Greenwich trying to sing Charltons name.
  • Options
    Should be influx of Belgian's
  • Options
    Sensei said:

Wouldn't have bothered but as you have pointed this out - it should be 'Belgians' not 'Belgian's'. A pedant should get his facts right ;-)

yeah, sorry about that

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Come on Sensei, surely you're not expecting adults to be able to cope with basic primary school grammar!
  • Options
    Adults?????
  • Options

shirty5 said:

Same in the lower west. Any extra money coming into the club is fine by me, but just wondering how this was advertised and how much did it cost
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

shirty5 said:

Same in the lower west. Any extra money coming into the club is fine by me, but just wondering how this was advertised and how much did it cost

It wasnt on groupon which is the main thing :)

• Options
    No, but three very friendly Norwegian guys sat behind me today. Happy to talk to, wanted to know about the team etc.
    Better than the guy four rows back who abuses whoever he likes whenever he likes at top of his voice.
    It's a great thing. Reminds me of the premier days when you'd have different nationalities joining us to support players eg Danish for Dennis.
  • Options
    Saw a black Skoda Superb with Belgian plates sneaking up Floyd Road
  • Options
    I'd like to see an influx of Belgian beer instead of the fizzy pop masquerading as lager/bitter at The Valley. Would at least make drowning our sorrows somewhat better.
  • Options
    Sensei said:

Wouldn't have bothered but as you have pointed this out - it should be 'Belgians' not 'Belgian's'. A pedant should get his facts right ;-)

grammar WHOOSH

Ha ha. Where is the genetive requiring the apostrophe? Influx of belgians' first rate football banter - now that would be correct gramatically although highly unlikely.

Influx of Belgians

what were u saying about pedants? ;) shirty5 got it right first time. If you're the Sensei, then heaven help the rest of us.
  • Options
    Really loved the prem days

It's a great thing. Reminds me of the premier days when you'd have different nationalities joining us to support players eg Danish for Dennis.

Ah, I agree! Was great to see, used to have a few fins in front of us for JJ too, remember more Chinese as well when we had ol' ZZ. Alas...those were the days! It was great, the people of other nationalities came because we had their top players, because we were a top club! I bet it's always nice to see your own flag in the crowd when playing in another country... Imagine if you were a pro playing abroad and you kept seeing an England flag popping up when you scored, would make you feel right at home!

Can't wait until we are back in the big time :-)

• Options
    edited April 2014

Sensei said:

grammar WHOOSH

Ha ha. Where is the genetive requiring the apostrophe? Influx of belgians' first rate football banter - now that would be correct gramatically although highly unlikely.

Influx of Belgians

what were u saying about pedants? ;) shirty5 got it right first time. If you're the Sensei, then heaven help the rest of us.
    Double whoosh. He was using the apostrophes to highlight the word Belgians.. Hence why there was an apostrophe at the start before the B as well as after the S.

Still, would have been easier if he italicised or put the word in bold.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Pedants galore !
    (or is it Pedant's !)

Getting coat.
  • Options
    Yes! Finally some understanding of punctuation on this site. Apostrophes pluralise nothing. That's the job of the S. Apostrophes are for possession or contractions. Everyone take note? No more sentences looking like they were written by an 8 year old? Great.
  • Options

Saw a black Skoda Superb with Belgian plates sneaking up Floyd Road

Yep so did i, euro Tunnel to the valley.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Whilst walking from the club shop to the main ticket office, there was a group of around 10 guys who sounded dutch (or something similar). One of them was wearing a snazzy jacket that was white, but covered in red love hearts. Not something an Englishman could pull off ( apart from Plaayer maybe)...................
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    From the Visit Britain web site, talking about footie fans visiting the UK each year:

The 900,000 foreign football tourists spent a substantial £706 million, the equivalent of £785 per fan and £200 more than the average visitor (£583).
    Also:
    Holiday visitors from Norway have the highest propensity to include ‘going to a football match’ (one-in-thirteen), followed by visits from the UAE. The markets generating the highest numbers of football spectating visits in 2011 were; Ireland (174,000), Norway (80,000), USA (61,000), Spain (54,000) and Germany (48,000). Mexico, Sweden and Iceland also featured highly in the category of ‘highest chance of going to a game’.

On the question of Belgium plates on cars, I'm pretty sure that Katrien has a Merc that (still) has Belgium plates on it and at least one of the player's cars too. (Edited to say I'm sure that as she's a lawyer she'll know that you must tax and register your vehicle in the UK straight away if you become a resident in the UK or your stay is longer than 6 months.)
  • Options
    Yes I've noticed this too. But maybe it's just that the tourists are more noticeable as the regular support fades away!
  • Options
    New sponsors perhaps.
  • Options
    It's just a lot of waffle ;0)

• Options
    I walked up to the ground alongside four Dutch teenagers, one had the Dutch flag painted on his cheek.
  • Options
    I go through North Greenwich when going straight to the ground on match days and have been asked the way to the Valley by Europeans quite a few times this season ,but I think the interest actually predates Duchalet although I have spoken to a few Belgians since the takeover.

Some seem to do football weekends and they plan their visit to a London Sunday Premier League match and supplement this with a visit to the Valley the day before.