Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

latest Voice, especially Kevin Nolan

Still not finished it, but the latest Voice is a richly satisfying read, nicely balanced and diverse. Everyone should try to read Matt Wrights's spirited defense of Simon Church. But what really amuses me is Kevin Nolan's conspiracy theory article about the antics of Arry, and especially Uwe Rosler. He wrote it before yesterday results of course, and by now I fear that Kevin is on his way to Wigan to kill Rosler. Not that I have any wish to stop him from doing so...

Comments

• Options
    Second this. Lots of great content and a good diversity of opinion.
  • Options
    Excellent as usual and Dan Webster's article in particular sums up exactly how I feel at the moment.

Thank you Airman.
  • Options
    An interesting and enlightening read, but I'm not 100% convinced on the balance issue. The Telegraph will print diverse and sometimes opposing opinion, but across the paper the editorial stance will come through.

But nobody says VOTV is under some public service obligation to sit right in the middle on every issue, and Rick has never hidden his feelings (!).

• Options

Excellent as usual and Dan Webster's article in particular sums up exactly how I feel at the moment.

Thank you Airman.

Yes, Dan Webster's article summed up my feelings too.

• Options
    Balanced ?.Not sure about that
  • Options
    I thought it was balanced with a chip on both shoulders.Only kidding,it was good as usual. I always enjoy reading Kevin Nolan. Ben Kensell ( formerly Arsenal Football Club) got a bit of a kicking.
  • Options
    Thought it was the best issue so far as well as the articles mentioned by others,I liked the piece about Riga working in Qatar with ex Addick academy director Mick Browne.
  • Options
    I can vouch for Kevin's "dislike" of all things Wigan after a conversation last night!
  • Options
    Very well written and informative. A good read. The editorial position is cleary critical of the Club. Not sure quite what "balance" means in that context.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If it is critical of the club, I won't be reading it btw, does it say what would make it pro the club ? Who are our hoped for owners, board, employees, management and players?
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Well the lead article is written by that well known left wing trouble maker, Professor Wyn Grant, and includes the muck raking, trouble stirring comment: "what I have never heard from those who think that the arrival of Roland Duchatelet is the start of a new gloomy era for the club, is what their preferred alternative would have been" .
  • Options
    What's a "gloomy ear" ?!
  • Options

Very well written and informative. A good read. The editorial position is cleary critical of the Club. Not sure quite what "balance" means in that context.

I mean that there is a nice spread of topics, and it is less focused on current behind the scenes issues, particularly those which Airman was close to, than past editions. Of course there is Airman Brown's Diary, there always has been. It is a fanzine after all, with a mission and permission to entertain in a certain way.

• Options

What's a "gloomy ear" ?!

Sorry. Era. Bloody iPad mini
  • Options

I mean that there is a nice spread of topics, and it is less focused on current behind the scenes issues, particularly those which Airman was close to, than past editions. Of course there is Airman Brown's Diary, there always has been. It is a fanzine after all, with a mission and permission to entertain in a certain way.

OK In which case I agree. The mix of articles works well. And I wasn't bring critical. The Editor has a clear position and doesn't pretend otherwise and that's fair enough.
  • Options
    Enjoy a good read of the Voice and don't expect to agree with everything. It's healthy to have your own prejudices challenged. Changed my mind about Church until he came on second half.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

Well the lead article is written by that well known left wing trouble maker, Professor Wyn Grant, and includes the muck raking, trouble stirring comment: "what I have never heard from those who think that the arrival of Roland Duchatelet is the start of a new gloomy ear for the club, is what their preferred alternative would have been" .

Phew.

How many times did you re-read VOTV to find that single sentance Prague? :-)

Hopefully the fantastic news about the investment in the playing surface that has cost us so much this season will be covered in VOTV 113.

I guess you understand the phrase "lead article" ?

Maybe it is presumptuous of me to suggest it, not being involved in VOTV but why don't you write an article for VOTV 113, putting whatever you consider to be the other side of the story? Get it off your chest...

• Options
    I also understand the word 'Editorial'

Wyn's article can be described as 'lead' just because it's the first after the editorial - but I see where you're coming from.

It was then followed by articles from Rick, Matt, ABs Diary, Matt again, Kevin Nolan, Matt again, Dan Webster (probably the most 'balanced' article), Rick again, Rick again, another Rick advertising piece and the LG.

Pretty sure all but one of those are in the G21.

Sadly missing the letters page still - would be great to read from all those long standing fans leaving the club in droves.

No problems with the publication, have always bought it and always will. I like to hear what fellow (and respected) CAFC fans have to say.

Just don't pretend that it's balanced.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    @Addickted‌
    Well I meant balanced in a slightly different way to you, as I explained to Mundell above. But I think @redlanered captured it well with his Telegraph analogy. I actually think it is all the more enjoyable because most of the articles do not require anybody to be on one side or other of the tiresome fan politics.
    Mainly, I am pleasantly surprised how relevant the revived Voice has turned out to be in the digital age.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Addickted said:

Wyn's article can be described as 'lead' just because it's the first after the editorial - but I see where you're coming from.

It was then followed by articles from Rick, Matt, ABs Diary, Matt again, Kevin Nolan, Matt again, Dan Webster (probably the most 'balanced' article), Rick again, Rick again, another Rick advertising piece and the LG.

Sadly missing the letters page still - would be great to read from all those long standing fans leaving the club in droves.

No problems with the publication, have always bought it and always will. I like to hear what fellow (and respected) CAFC fans have to say.

Print publications generally are under no obligation to be balanced, but to be credible I think you need to be willing to reflect both sides of an argument. I asked Wyn to write his piece because I wanted a view that was more pro-RD than any of the others. I then ran it ahead of pieces critical of RD. I didn't ask anyone to write pieces critical of him and if any other positive piece about him had come in I would have run that too. Neither Dan Webster nor the Gunman are involved with the G21 group.

I wasn't aware of the detail around the pitch on the Greenwich website until after we'd gone to print, but I would certainly have covered it in detail had I had it on Wednesday.

Completely agree that the Voice would be much better with its letters pages but my attempts to encourage letters to date have been unsuccessful. In fact the only ones I was sent that could have gone in this issue were copies of critical letters sent to the club about Crossbars and the recent VIP meeting, but I didn't think they said anything new.

I'm glad people liked the issue, but perhaps it isn't clear that I'm not generally in a position to pick and choose editorial. It's all done working flat out over a week to ensure it's as topical as it can be and it will never be perfect, but the people who read it seem to value it, which I appreciate.

But as I say in some detail, let's see what the summer brings. If we stay up there is a new opportunity for RD to impress.
  • Options
    edited April 2014

Addickted said:

the G21 group.
    LOL - when I termed this analogy, I never expected you to start using it.

Glad to see you are taking a more pragmatic approach about the current situation and what seems like more positive vibes coming out of the Club - particularly with regard to infra structure expenditure.

If I'm wrong, come the Autumn, then I'll happily stand next to you behind the barricades!
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Where's the Belgium flag right now that you've sold that edition ? Was it bought for support or sales ?
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Surely it is up to you if you buy the voice or not. I thought this edition was balanced - but even if it wasn't - don't buy it if you don't want to. That is the only valid criticism - if it is a bitter poor publication, it won't sell.
  • Options
    I think fanzines are best when they are a series of polemics, with people selecting the evidence that they want to make their point. If there's enough of them with different views, and with VOTV there almost always are, then you have yourself a very good magazine. Sad to see that the Brighton fanzine on sale a couple of weeks ago will be their last in print and great that AB has reintroduced a printed mag. As I think Prague said, if you think there's a gap, write an article.