Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gerrard

Comments

• Options
    To replace Suarez with Lambert was one of the most ridiculous decisions in football
  • Options
    boogica said:

Another over rated English player

U talk like a total prick overrated my arse suppose you are better .
    Jealousy don't get u anywhere .
    I never get the jealousy argument. If that was the case why wouldn't we be on here slating everyone who is half decent?

Scoring the odd 30 yarder and having the Sun ramble about you does not make you world class. World class is the likes or Pirlo, Xavi, Kaka or Schweinsteiger. Gerrard has undoubtedly been very good but he's never been proper top drawer as many claim.
  • Options
    I always rated him, his best years were playing off Torres

Also he was one of the last players that will make it to play for England along with Rooney who were from a proper non-babysat time. I'm not trying to sound all misty eyed but you know them two came from tough places and broke through.

I don't get the same vibe from Jack Wilshere and Raheem Sterling
  • Options
    Can't disagree with any of that,

People will harp on about the fact he could have left and that he wanted to leave, but none of that matters one jot,

To Liverpool and the fans / people of Liverpool Gerrard is a hero an icon and should be remembered and cherished as such

On top of that he was a fantastic footballer a fantastic captain and servant to his trade,
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Think what people are forgetting is that it doesn't really matter if Gerrard was better than Lampard, Beckham etc or not. He meant absolutely everything to the Liverpool fans for more than just his incredible ability.

Look at how much Chris Powell means to Charlton and the welcome/goodbye we would give to someone like him. Now spread that over 18 years with trophies thrown in, as well as being a local boy, ambassador and a fan of the club.

This is a bloke whose cousin died in the Hillsborough disaster and is as attached to that club and the principles it stands for as much as the most die hard of Liverpool fans.

If Liverpool fans want to give him a big send off, then it isn't anyone else's business to say they shouldn't really. He is THEIR hero.

Well said.
  • Options
    Gerrard is
    boogica said:

Scholes controlled games more than Gerrard.

Both quality players though.

That's wot u say I don't think so , look when you have giggs , cantona , Keane , beckham etc You have some team gerrrard never had those sort of players around yet he still pulled Liverpool through it really does make a difference wot players you have around .
    maybe it was because he had lesser players around him, that he looked so good?

I am a legend in my garden against my 2 and 4 year olds but in the overall scheme of things am not all that.

Scholes and Becks stood out amongst the brilliant Man U squads

Gerrard was a bg fish in a small(er) pond.

• Options

Without a doubt a very very good player, one of the best to come through that Liverpool boot room set up

However

Where would he sit in the last 15 yrs of English midfielders

From top of my head

Gazza
    Ince
    Beckham
    Scholes
    Gerrard
    Lampard

Where would he rank

I'd definitely have Beckham, Scholes, Gazza before him,

Don't understand how you can include Gazza in a list of the last 15 years? What was he doing in 2000? Well past his best at Everton I think.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    MrOneLung said:

Gerrard is

boogica said:

Scholes controlled games more than Gerrard.

Both quality players though.

That's wot u say I don't think so , look when you have giggs , cantona , Keane , beckham etc You have some team gerrrard never had those sort of players around yet he still pulled Liverpool through it really does make a difference wot players you have around .
    maybe it was because he had lesser players around him, that he looked so good?

I am a legend in my garden against my 2 and 4 year olds but in the overall scheme of things am not all that.

Scholes and Becks stood out amongst the brilliant Man U squads

Gerrard was a bg fish in a small(er) pond.

Maybe they did stand out but you ask any quality footballer anywhere In the world u always need quality around you , United had that in abundance , where as Liverpool didnt ie djime traore and a load more to name just mediocre players not in the class of the United side .
  • Options
    which is why Gerrard looked good.

Was distincly average with good players around him for England.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MrOneLung said:

Don't agree with you at all
  • Options
    I thought he was a very good player, and he dragged that team through to win games and trophies which makes him an absolute Hero in Liverpool, BUT I honestly didn't think he was World Class. In his career how many other Central Midfielders have we had that were far better technically? He had the passion and desire to do things, and win games but that can only get you so far.

Like I said, a hero to the fans and a very good player. I'll miss seeing him playing in the PL.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    MrOneLung said:

Whether you rate Gerrard or not, dismissing him as 'distinctly average' is frankly stupid if you consider the true meaning of the word.

Average players don't play over 100 games for England or 700 for a club like Liverpool - even if they're not the force they once were.
  • Options
    So you dont think he was average for England ?

• Options
    MrOneLung said:

So you dont think he was average for England ?

Not really. But when he played in the World Cup and you reach the later rounds you see the difference between players who are good, or even really good - and those who are great. Gerrard is most certainly the former but then I would say the same of Lampard, Beckham, Rooney, even Terry or Gary Neville. They were good players - but not truly world class when you see some of the other players out there.
  • Options
    People have always gone on about Gerrards limitations but at his peak there was so much he could do that no other midfielder in England could do. His season as a number 10 behind Torres was the best season any Englishman has had in the Premier league imo he was so dynamic and it is baffling he wasn't played there more for England. He didn't age as well as Scholes or Lampard but at his best he would scare the other team more than anyone.

I've always rated players based on their longevity so for all time Premier League I'd go Ronaldo, Henry then Gerrard

• Options
    Proper midfielder in the Bryan Robson mould.

Scholes was possibly more for the purist but I always appreciated a bursting run from Gerrard. Never appreciated him giving the ball to the opposition at really bad moments though! And I never appreciated Scholes flying into tackles that screamed 'book me'

Appreciated them both as English midfielders who whilst not being Zinedine Zidane they were absolutely at home on the top table
  • Options
    Can't believe that palarse didn't let Gerard take the pen.
  • Options
    Fabian Delph is better than all of them
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Good
    dizzee said:

Fabian Delph is better than all of them

You are joking yeh
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    At last, the end of a terrific career, though one that might be regarded as not as stellar as it could/should have been .. the last of the one club superstars ? .. I am sure that it was love of his home town and not only money that kept SG at Anfield .. very rare to win a European Cup Winners medal and not an English Champions medal.
    I wish him lots of love, luck and £o££y in his US adventure
  • Options
    Scouser on radio it's a disgrace that Steven Gerrard has not been nominated or won sports personality of the year
  • Options

At last, the end of a terrific career, though one that might be regarded as not as stellar as it could/should have been .. the last of the one club superstars ? .. I am sure that it was love of his home town and not only money that kept SG at Anfield .. very rare to win a European Cup Winners medal and not an English Champions medal.
    I wish him lots of love, luck and £o££y in his US adventure

But he is a two club superstar surely....
  • Options
    Tell you one thing, I'm a bit disappointed he has chosen America to finish his playing days.

Maybe no Italian clubs wanted him but I would have thought that league would be made for him and if he had of moved there years ago might have sharpened his ball retention skills as that was something he has been found wanting for the last couple of years.

• Options
    Deserves this tbh, feet up big bucks great lifestyle
  • Options

Deserves this tbh, feet up big bucks great lifestyle

Got a long old life ahead of him for that, you are a long time retired and I'm just a bit suprised he couldn't find more of a challenge to be honest. Don't get me wrong, good luck to him just suprised no Italian clubs fancied him
  • Options
    It's whether he fancies them mate, I get the feeling Gerrard has had his fill of pressure football
  • Options
    Hmmmm not had his fill of the dough though, if they are willing to pay a lot for a 50% interested Steven Gerrard then good luck to both parties. Lots of decent players in that league now I suppose

I just don't think Gerrard is the player he is without the competitiveness about him
  • Options
    He is done mate he knows it the odd Gerrard moment every 10-15 games is not what he wants, he knows it's up and I respect that,
  • Options
    Fair point