Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Electrician's - Help Needed!!!!

Spot light in my flat has blown and tripped the switch. Took the light fitting down and theres burnt marks on the wiring and the black box has crumpled and looks like its partly melted.

Called the maintenance bloke and he's saying if the electrician comes and its just the bulb that needs changing I'm gonna get the invoice, not the landlord.

Looking at the picture, does it look like more than simply changing the bulb??

Cheers.

Comments

• WSSWSS
    edited April 2014
    Bit small that pic mate - can't really see what's going on...

@Glasshalfempty or @buckshee‌ are your men.
  • WhatsApp minter or oggs
  • WhatsApp minter or oggs

oh yeah! cheers.
  • by the looks of it Gary it's some kind of junction box , probably a loose connection inside has caused some sparking which has melted it a bit.

What does the lamp holder itself look like inside , can't see from that angle.
  • edited April 2014
    buckshee said:

by the looks of it Gary it's some kind of junction box , probably a loose connection inside has caused some sparking which has melted it a bit.

What does the lamp holder itself look like inside , can't see from that angle.

cheers mate. its got burn marks on the inside, but no visible damage from what i can remember (currently at work)

If the sparky comes out, will he have to do a bit of repair work on it?
  • If the junction box bit is melted he'll just have to replace that , same goes for the lamp holder. Easy job for him really.
  • buckshee said:

If the junction box bit is melted he'll just have to replace that , same goes for the lamp holder. Easy job for him really.

happy days, as long as he has to do work to justify the call out then I'm happy.

cheers for the info.
  • By the looks of it and what you say then yes he will have to do something. Be careful though as he may be under instruction from the landlord to make it look like something he didn't need come out for . When he cuts the old junction box off ask him if you can take a couple of decent photos of it just to cover yourself.
  • cheers chaps
  • Switch to led lights.
  • Sponsored links:

• By regs now downlighters are either meant to be he sealed in variety or have to have a fireproof hood to prevent this sort of thing.

Like smiffyboy says it's likely to have been caused by it sitting on the lamp or as I said by a loose connection in the block.
  • smiffyboy said:

If you look at the photo where the ceiling cut out is it does look like it has some form of hood up there

May well be right there actually. The trouble with the hood type is that they mean the connection can still touch the top of the lamp. Also speaking on a professional (lazy) level I prefer the sealed ones as they are easy to install.
  • Any electricians on here available for a bit of private work in Bexley? Pm for details,
  • Just leave it and invest your money on some of these for the family.