Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Chris Powell is guest presenter on talksport, Colin Murray this morning

13»

Comments

• PL54 said:

Yann897 said:

PL54 said:

Why have Charlton stayed up? CP: "There's three worse teams than Charlton. Simple as that."

Not very gracious. He was manager for 2 and a half years wasn't he ? I've had longer shits.
    Don't you'll get called a wum .
    I invented the phrase
    Sweet we can be wums together then

#super riga is fantastic powelly was atrocious ;)
  • That was a shitty thing for Powell to say. Some are so blinded by their love for him that they can't take any criticism of him whatsoever.

I can completely understand why he said it, no doubt he's still pissed off about the whole situation, but that doesn't mean we can't disagree with what he said.

That team at Sheffield United would not have kept us up IMO, they weren't playing with the spirit this squad have been known for. A change was made, and it's worked for us. Time to move on
  • Goo

Sordell might have been part of 'his' team but Riga got 5 precious goals out of him...

I really wish Chrissy well, he played a huge part in turning things around. But we were in a right pickle, and Bramall Lane was just awful... we can't simply assume that things would have turned around.

He was dealt a terrible hand this season. But has to move on, we have to move on, and I'm not going to regard RD as some evil force for moving him out.

Good post. CP did a great job as manager getting us up and keeping us up last season. But for events off the pitch I am sure he would have done a great job this season. I've said before, emotionally he was drained this season. 6 wins from 31 wasn't a good return, we could all see certain things weren't working, but it's human nature to stick to what you know or entrench yourself deeper in a style that has delivered results before (see Moyes at Man Utd). It doesn't make him a bad manager, just means that his approach isn't right for that environment at that given time. We've all probably had no choice but to move on, because we're always Charlton, whereas personnel come and go. Glad to hear he's finding it easier than he thought to get over it. Glad we had Riga and hope he stays. And like Redlanered, I believe RD was right to make the change.
  • Croydon said:

That was a shitty thing for Powell to say. Some are so blinded by their love for him that they can't take any criticism of him whatsoever.

I can completely understand why he said it, no doubt he's still pissed off about the whole situation, but that doesn't mean we can't disagree with what he said.

That team at Sheffield United would not have kept us up IMO, they weren't playing with the spirit this squad have been known for. A change was made, and it's worked for us. Time to move on

Then you don't understand why he said it. The first comment about 'his team' was said tongue in cheek, and I happen to know was jokingly put to him by a friend the night before. The second comment is factually accurate but isn't actually saying anything.

The key change was the resolution of the enmity between manager and owner. That could have happened any number of ways, in the event it happened because one was removed.
  • Croydon said:

That was a shitty thing for Powell to say. Some are so blinded by their love for him that they can't take any criticism of him whatsoever.

You have to put that short sentence into context of the entire show. See AFKA's other thread.
  • Croydon said:

You have to put that short sentence into context of the entire show. See AFKA's other thread.
    yep fair enough, the sentence on it's own sounds a lot worse then it was intended