Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Riga unsure on Charlton future article

2»

Comments

• Options
    I think Karel Fraeye will be around for longer than three months.
  • Options
    micks1950 said:

Davo55 said:

If Jose extends his contract as Head Coach, as most of us hope, rather than replace Paul Hart as academy Director as widely rumoured, what then for the academy? Will Hart stay after all, or will we be in the market for a top academy guy. If so, who? Crewe Alexandra have a good reputation......?

Good questions.

But it also raises the question I asked above – why was Karel Fraeye appointed when 'Assistant Manager' Alex Dyer and 'First Team Coach' Damien Mathew remained in post?

Riga only had a short term contract until June at Milan so leaving that early to come here until the end of the season wouldn’t have been an issue. But Fraeye had a (presumably longer term) job – although at a team in Belgium’s 4th tier – would he have left that for 3 months as an 'Assistant Head Coach' with us, or does he have a longer term contract and was made promises about the future?
    Fraeye could well be in a similar position to where Powell was prior to his appointment - done time in the lower leagues, done the coaching badges/experience, ready to take a shot at the main job. Admittedly he hasn't got the playing pedigree of CP but that doesn't prove as much as some would have you believe - Wenger/Mourinho/Pochettino all came with little in the way of repute as players and did well as managers. Also important to note is those three did not 'know English football', another logical fallacy that proves very little. I am not suggesting that Fraeye is/will be as good as any of those - neither was Powell though.

On the other hand it could be Fraeye is seen as the long term man for the job and someone else will come in above his head for a season or two whilst he learns and gets experience and he is promoted when the Powers That Be think he's ready. We just don't know!
  • Options
    thenewbie said:

micks1950 said:

Davo55 said:

If Jose extends his contract as Head Coach, as most of us hope, rather than replace Paul Hart as academy Director as widely rumoured, what then for the academy? Will Hart stay after all, or will we be in the market for a top academy guy. If so, who? Crewe Alexandra have a good reputation......?

Good questions.

But it also raises the question I asked above – why was Karel Fraeye appointed when 'Assistant Manager' Alex Dyer and 'First Team Coach' Damien Mathew remained in post?

Riga only had a short term contract until June at Milan so leaving that early to come here until the end of the season wouldn’t have been an issue. But Fraeye had a (presumably longer term) job – although at a team in Belgium’s 4th tier – would he have left that for 3 months as an 'Assistant Head Coach' with us, or does he have a longer term contract and was made promises about the future?
    Fraeye could well be in a similar position to where Powell was prior to his appointment - done time in the lower leagues, done the coaching badges/experience, ready to take a shot at the main job. Admittedly he hasn't got the playing pedigree of CP but that doesn't prove as much as some would have you believe - Wenger/Mourinho/Pochettino all came with little in the way of repute as players and did well as managers. Also important to note is those three did not 'know English football', another logical fallacy that proves very little. I am not suggesting that Fraeye is/will be as good as any of those - neither was Powell though.

On the other hand it could be Fraeye is seen as the long term man for the job and someone else will come in above his head for a season or two whilst he learns and gets experience and he is promoted when the Powers That Be think he's ready. We just don't know!
    We don't know, but according to this post on the 'Karel Fraeye' thread he "has no coaching qualifications whatsoever"?

cantersaddick Member
    April 30
    Fraeye is no older than Andy Hughes! Would rather you made him coach at least he knows the league and it's pressures! Fraeye also has no coaching qualifications whatsoever!!

http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/61497/karel-fraeye#latest

• Options

I've certainly warmed to Riga.

Initially, I believed he was installed as RD's puppet with instruction to play the network players. This has not happened and he has proven to be his own man. He seems to command respect from the players and staff alike and has them all on side. Ultimately, he has achieved his objective - and this with a limited squad.

He knows new players are required for Charlton to move on, but in reality would he have any more sway over RD than CP had?

I have yet to warm to RD.

I don't agree with this version of the CP - JR relationship with RD. Like a lot of successful businessmen, RD trusts certain people, and listens to them. JR clearly is such a trusted person. As such ,if he says Thuram is crap and he's not playing, RD trusts him. CP was not in that fortunate place, so RD didn't trust him. That's all very rough on CP, but I have seen it happen in many businesses, not just football.

• Options
    thenewbie said:

micks1950 said:

Davo55 said:

Good questions.

Pochettino played 20 times for Argentina
  • Options
    micks1950 said:

In a Flemish news article dated 14 Mar, Eendracht Zele's sporting manager said that Fraeye had already been headhunted by RD to join his "trainersnetwerk" at the end of the season, then this wonderful opportunity to go to CAFC as "T2" to Riga came up, so they felt they couldn't stand in his way, wished him all the best, etc.

So he appears to have already been promised a permanent job with RD. Whether Riga then picked him as T2 is anyone's guess.

nieuwsblad.be/sportwereld/cnt/dmf20140313_01023468
  • Options
    Listening to Riga's comments he obviously has a very high regard for English football. He seems to love just being part of it - the whole thing. I would be surprised if he didn't want the job but who knows if it is part of RD's plan.
  • Options
    Will be v disappointed if he doesn't get the job. Surely has done enough?
  • Options
    Sign the belgian special one up!
  • Options
    Dylan100 said:

Sign the belgian special one up!

Was going to agree with this but you've split an infinitive :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    "you may not be the best players..."
  • Options
    The rumours I have heard is that the club want him and are trying to persuade him to stay. I would imagine its a big decision for him from a personal point of view. Hope he stays but it may not be down to football reasons.

Anyone know if he has family?
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Kap10 said:

The rumours I have heard is that the club want him and are trying to persuade him to stay. I would imagine its a big decision for him from a personal point of view. Hope he stays but it may not be down to football reasons.

When he opted to go to Qatar, he said it was for family reasons, so, unless he means his Dutch uncle, yes. "C'est avant tout un choix familial."

Edit: He took a son with him to Qatar, although he was not part of the academy staff there, but evidently an adult son.
  • Options

Kap10 said:

When he opted to go to Qatar, he said it was for family reasons, so, unless he means his Dutch uncle, yes.
    I guess by family reasons he meant monetary reason! Why else would one go to Qatar!
  • Options

Kap10 said:

When he opted to go to Qatar, he said it was for family reasons, so, unless he means his Dutch uncle, yes.
    I guess by family reasons he meant monetary reason! Why else would one go to Qatar!
    Well yes, a chance to make enough cash in a year to provide security for his family for a long time. Also, it would look very good on his own CV for a future in academy coaching and enhance his own earning power. Who wouldn't?
  • Options
    if Gus Poyet lives in Sussex and manages S'land then it must be an easier commute through the tunnel from SL to Belgium?
  • Options
    I thought that Alex Dyer and Damian Matthew were kept on because Jose and Karel was not familiar with English Football.
  • Options
    Riga has done a superb job, deserves massive credit and I would love him to stay.

In fact, there will probably be a lot of pressure on RD to give him the job now.
  • Options
    Derek1952 said:

I thought that Alex Dyer and Damian Matthew were kept on because Jose and Karel was not familiar with English Football.

But how often does a new owner/manager leave the back room staff in place?
    This was a deliberate, thoughtful and brilliant move.

If the same manager/coaching group is in place next season we will be upper mid table material, even with the same playing squad we have now. They appear to be working well to get the best out of players, young and old.

Obviously our squad will be different. Better? Hopefully. But with this management/coaching set up I'm sure we will see players reaching their true potential.

Which is exciting. And pretty much the point of sport.
  • Options

Derek1952 said:

But how often does a new owner/manager leave the back room staff in place?
    This was a deliberate, thoughtful and brilliant move.

Richard Murray did it, surely. It was the reason why Billy Davies turned us down (thankfully) because he could not bring his entourage.

But I do agree with you, it was a move/non move that positively surprised me.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Once a decade then!