Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

World Cup Rewind: Relive 1966 win and 1990 pain with the BBC

Well up for this as I have never seen the 1966 final in it's entirety, was born just after we won it.
The 2014 Fifa World Cup is almost upon us and to get you in the mood for this summer's football extravaganza in Brazil, we are going to take you back in time to relive some classic encounters with BBC Sport.
Starting with England's heroic World Cup success in 1966, we'll rerun, in full and 'as live', the highs and lows of the Home Nations' campaigns of yesteryear.
Thanks to the BBC's innovative live technology, you will be able to watch or relive classic moments as though they are unfolding for the first time, including the 1966 World Cup final at Wembley, Archie Gemmill's wonder goal for Scotland in 1978, Gerry Armstrong stunning Spain in 1982, the 'Hand of God' in 1986 and Gazza's tears in 1990.
These matches will be replayed in full and will be given the BBC's full live treatment, including 'live' video, full text commentary and contributions from special guests with unique perspectives on the action, including Gary Lineker.
There will also be the chance to see the original BBC presentation from the likes of Des Lynam, and punditry from Jimmy Hill, Terry Venables and Sir Bobby Charlton, among others.
All matches will be available to watch across four screens - PC, tablet, mobile and connected TV - from bbc.co.uk/worldcup or through the BBC Sport apps for mobiles, tablets and connected TVs.

You will also be able to get involved with the action as it happens through social media - just like every Saturday on the BBC Sport website.
So whether you were a child when Nobby Stiles danced his jig in 1966, were left in tears by Scotland's near-miss in 1978, had a Chris Waddle mullet in 1990 or were in Spain for Northern Ireland's famous win in 1982, you'll be able to reminisce.
And if you've only ever seen brief highlights from these games you can now decide for yourself if England were rightful winners in 1966, whether Geoff Hurst's shot crossed the line or not, if Gazza should have been booked and just how good Gemmill's goal was.
The full schedule includes:
Friday 30 May, 12:00 BST: England v West Germany, 1966 final
• Saturday 31 May, 15:00 BST: Scotland v Netherlands, 1978 group match
• Wednesday 4 June, 12:00 BST: England v Argentina, 1986 quarter-final
• Saturday 7 June, 15:00 BST: England v Germany, 1990 semi-final
• Sunday 8 June, 15:00 BST: Spain v Northern Ireland , 1982 group match

Comments

• Options
    Starts tomorrow
  • Options
    A nice interview here with the referee of the England Germany 1990 semi. Not long, but warm hearted and amusing.

Hope I can get a signal, will watch that 1990 game again, I think
  • Options

A nice interview here with the referee of the England Germany 1990 semi. Not long, but warm hearted and amusing.

Hope I can get a signal, will watch that 1990 game again, I think

Still don't think it was a booking, cheating sods. I think we won the Fair Play award at that World Cup, probably the last time we could stand proud as paragons of honesty and virtue.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    It was a booking then and would be a red now.

Of course, berthold did us wrong but that was a horror tackle. He didnt connect but you cant two foot after a poor touch.

• Options

It was a booking then and would be a red now.

Of course, berthold did us wrong but that was a horror tackle. He didnt connect but you cant two foot after a poor touch.

If he'd made contact then 100% yes (although there was no malice in it, but that's beside the point). But there was no contact, so it's no more a booking because he just missed him than it would have been a booking if he was doing karate kicks on his own in the centre circle.

I fully acknowledge that 25 years on I really should have got over this.
  • Options
    Oh it still makes me weep.

But I disagree on need for contact. The total lack of control is crucial, malice aforethought doesnt come into it IMO. Karate kicks in centre circle? Not reckless. Thats why u can kick someones head off if you try pulling a bicycle . Gazza tackled like a binman when he occasionally took a bad touch.

Next time he did it in a big game (Gary Charles) he got an injury he never truly recovered from.

Gazza is a loveable lemon. Would have won world player award multiple times if he wasnt daft as a brush. Wasted his talent.

why do we produce skilful lazy bones OR industrious crap merchants? I hope Barkley has the mentality of a GNEV to go with his Gazza skills.

• Options
    Watching this now on IPlayer (thank you, ZenMate), and just reached half -time. Bloody hell, we played well. The extent of the heartbreak is all coming back...
  • Options
    Haven't managed to watch any of this series, unfortunately, but saw all of the games at the time.

We were, perhaps, a little unlucky in Turin in the 1990 Semi-Final, but it would have been a travesty if we'd made the Final. We were very poor in the Group stages, not much better against a very average Belgium team in the second round, and then got outplayed by a very indisciplined Cameroon in the QF.

Surprised they didn't choose the QF against West Germany in Leon in 1970. That was perhaps the classic England game of the last 50-years. We were outstanding in that match and were cruising at 2-0, against a team that would go on to win the European Championships in '72 and the World Cup in '74, when Alf Ramsey took off Bobby Charlton, to rest him for the semi-final.

This freed Franz Beckenbauer to roam at will and roam he did, getting West Germany back into the game with a shot from outside the area that just evaded stand in keeper Peter Bonetti. It's tough to blame Sir Alf, but some have said that had Charlton simply been told to take a seat in the stand, Beckenbauer would have gone and sat next to him. Anyway, that goal turned the tide. Uwe Seeler equalised with a fantastic back-header, or a complete fluke, depending on your perspective. Then, almost inevitably, Gerd Muller got the winner in extra time.

Without doubt one of the best England performances I can recall, certainly the most exciting game and by some margin the most disappointing result. Unforgettable, and I still don't really understand how we lost. Perhaps it would have been different had Gordon Banks, who had made an astonishing save from Pele in the Group match, not missed the game through food poisoning. Who knows.

What a World Cup that was though!! Brazil eased past a very good Peru side in their QF, 4-2, then came from behind to beat Uruguay 3-1 in their semi. Meanwhile, West Germany lost a pulsating semi-final to Italy, 4-3 after extra-time, before the Italians succumbed 4-1 to the magnificent Brazilians with Pele, Gerson and Rivelino, in particular, an absolute treat to watch.
  • Options

Haven't managed to watch any of this series, unfortunately, but saw all of the games at the time.

We were, perhaps, a little unlucky in Turin in the 1990 Semi-Final, but it would have been a travesty if we'd made the Final. We were very poor in the Group stages, not much better against a very average Belgium team in the second round, and then got outplayed by a very indisciplined Cameroon in the QF.

Surprised they didn't choose the QF against West Germany in Leon in 1970. That was perhaps the classic England game of the last 50-years. We were outstanding in that match and were cruising at 2-0, against a team that would go on to win the European Championships in '72 and the World Cup in '74, when Alf Ramsey took off Bobby Charlton, to rest him for the semi-final.

This freed Franz Beckenbauer to roam at will and roam he did, getting West Germany back into the game with a shot from outside the area that just evaded stand in keeper Peter Bonetti. It's tough to blame Sir Alf, but some have said that had Charlton simply been told to take a seat in the stand, Beckenbauer would have gone and sat next to him. Anyway, that goal turned the tide. Uwe Seeler equalised with a fantastic back-header, or a complete fluke, depending on your perspective. Then, almost inevitably, Gerd Muller got the winner in extra time.

Without doubt one of the best England performances I can recall, certainly the most exciting game and by some margin the most disappointing result. Unforgettable, and I still don't really understand how we lost. Perhaps it would have been different had Gordon Banks, who had made an astonishing save from Pele in the Group match, not missed the game through food poisoning. Who knows.

What a World Cup that was though!! Brazil eased past a very good Peru side in their QF, 4-2, then came from behind to beat Uruguay 3-1 in their semi. Meanwhile, West Germany lost a pulsating semi-final to Italy, 4-3 after extra-time, before the Italians succumbed 4-1 to the magnificent Brazilians with Pele, Gerson and Rivelino, in particular, an absolute treat to watch.

Yes 1970 certainly was an amazing World Cup. I was nine in 66 and can remember it well, but as a 13 year in 1970 the memory is so much more vivid. With the benefit of the passing 44 years (my God that's a long time ago!!) I believe that Bonetti took far too much of the blame - he was a very good goalkeeper.

We should never have lost that game and believe that had we won we would have beaten the Italians in the semi and given Brazil a good game in the final. I remember the group game against Brazil just as vividly and there wasn't a great deal between the sides - the 1970 England side was better than the 66 side and could easily have gotten something from the game. Mullery and particularly Astle missed good chances late on. The Banks save, Moore's tackle on Jarzinho, Bobby swapping shirts with Pele at the end of the game in a ritual that just shouted mutual respect between the greatest offensive player in the world and the greatest defender, - what memories. Just how good were that Brazil team? Magicians to a man.

• Options
    Agreed. That 1970 game versus W. Germany was a classic. We should have won. It was more emotional because we were the defending World Cup winners and were looking forward to a final against Brazil. What a final that would have been.

The earlier game against Brazil mentioned above (we lost 1-0) was a classic in its own right. Banks' save against Pele was out of this world and I remember one tackle from Bobby Moore that was breathtaking. I can't remember the Brazilian player who it was against but he was coming through the middle and Moore literally stopped him in his tracks as he was bearing down on goal just outside the penalty area. A block busting tackle. He must have felt like he had walked into a brick wall.

I remember the bitter disappointment after we lost that game. We really were the 2nd best team in the world at that time but Brazil were sensational.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2014
    Jairzinho was the player Moore tackled. Brazil beat us 1-0 in that game in Guadalajara, but scored at least three goals against every other side they played. Jeff Astle, on as a substitute, missed a sitter shortly before the end. We haven't had a side anywhere near as strong as the 1970 team since.
  • Options
    Well, I loved Italy 90. Maybe that's partly because I watched the key England games at various stages of an epic holiday, but this was one World Cup where we over-achieved. What a decent man Bobby Robson was, and how he made the vile tabloid journalists choke on their words. And that semi against West Germany, well, if England have played better in the World Cup since then, I have forgotten it. Give us at least one game like that in Brazil, and I'll be happy.

"Express yourself, it's one on one..."