Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Holding A Player - A Radical Suggestion

There does not seem to be a remedy to holding on in the Penalty Box. And yet, FIFA guidance is quite specific:

Referees are reminded to make an early intervention and to deal firmly with holding offences especially inside the penalty area at
corner kicks and free kicks.

To deal with these situations, the referee shall:

warn any player holding an opponent before the ball is in play

caution the player if the holding continues award a direct free kick or penalty and caution the player if it happens once the ball is in play

So, what percentage of holding on offences actually get punished with a penalty? 5%? 3%? 1%?

Well how about this for a partial solution?

Once a free kick or corner is awarded the taker has 3 seconds to take it and if he doesn't in that time he loses the ability to take a "quick one". If it isn't taken quickly then, once the Referee is satisfied that everyone is ready, he will blow his whistle at which point every player in the Penalty box has to clasp his hands above his head with the arms in an outstretched position.

After another 5 seconds the Referee will blow his whistle to signify that the kick may be taken but the players in the box must not lower their hands until the kick is taken. If the taker doesn't take it immediately the kick is given the other way.

It won't stop the defender from holding on after the kick is taken but what it will do is to allow the attacker to move freely about the box 'til it is. It will also help the Referee to identify culprits because, unlike the present system, the hands have to move from an outstretched position above the head to a position where they can grab hold of the player or his shirt.

It's all very well us expecting Refs to crack down on this but, under the Laws as they are, both defenders and attackers are no far too clever and rehearsed. If Refs really did start applying the letter of the law, the game would be resolved by who is best at hiding an offence or feigning being fouled.

Crackpot idea or possible partial solution?

Comments

• Options
    Handcuff every single player except the goalkeeper at set-piece situations. It's the only way.
  • Options
    It's fine how it is
  • Options
    I think the sanctions are there already it's just that these offences have now become part and parcel of the game and any referee trying to apply the letter of the law would need to be awarding three or four if not more penalties every game. That's not going to happen so for the most part referees turn a blind eye.

Football has any number of these anomalies that are now almost impossible to eradicate from the game. Pity football didn't follow the same road that rugby has taken where the referee is treated with the greatest of respect and is allowed to apply the laws of the game properly. Almost impossible given the worldwide aspect of Association Football and the emphasis on rule bending that is endemic in many countries.

• Options
    Shirts. Should be made of Velcro.
  • Options
    Why try to change the beautiful game?
  • Options
    so someone making a run into the box and the player tracking them would need to do so with outstretched arms above their head and hands clasped? it'll be more entertaining than going to the circus
  • Options
    I think the principle is a good one, but as rina says, it would look a bit silly. It's clearly not fine as it is, and there is no reason at all as to why the laws should be applied to the letter, as long as teams are informed that that is the case. The same applies to swearing at the ref and all the other things that some people tell us would lead to ten penalties or eight red cards in every game - so what? Can you see a player walking away from the game because he can't stop himself shirt pulling of effing and jeffing at the ref? It would take two games before even the dimmest bladder punter got the message.

As SHG says in some countries the bending of rules is endemic, but on an international stage there is a level playing field. Here in Portugal in domestic games they throw themselves to the floor at the bat of an eyelash, and the referees dish out free kicks ten to the dozen. The same players and refs in European club games and internationals are far more willing (and more importantly) able to play the way everyone else does. They can adapt from Sunday to Thursday and then back again on Sunday, it's not a problem for them, why would it be a problem for players in England?
  • Options
    Devil's advocate moment here.....

I think the only way to eradicate that which is unsporting from football is to introduce camera technology and have a fifth/six official who can review video footage and then advise the match referee.

It's seems like pie in the sky I know, but is the only solution I can think of to avoid players getting away with blue murder or referees missing the obvious.

I'd welcome something which gave referees the ability to deal with things they didn't see (often for good reason because no human being has 360-degree vision) and to verify if a penalty should be awarded or if the player had dived like a submarine. The only way to crack down on unsporting behaviour is to not allow players to get away with it.

I think referees are suffering more and more abuse from players. If we want to give Ref's the integrity they need we should insist that the players treat them and their decisions with respect. Lets mike them up similar to rugby, and any abusive swearing or arguing should get a red card straight off. They'll soon stop it when they (and their club) suffers the consequences.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thought this was going to be about a way to make sure Diego Poyet would be playing for us next season.
  • Options
    I'm surprised that no club has introduced the kind of tight fitting shirts that rugby teams use. They were designed to make shirt holding difficult and seem to be worn universally by rugby players so must be effective. They could make all the difference at corners and free kicks into the box.
  • Options
    I honestly thought from the title it was going to be about Poyet.
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

This.
  • Options

It's fine how it is

Fiiiiiish said:

Thought this was going to be about a way to make sure Diego Poyet would be playing for us next season.

Curb_It said:

JaShea99 said:

Curb_It said:

This.
    Title amended.

• Options
    Please don't americanise this brilliant sport, stop start stop start, they can keep that shit across the Atlantic!!!
  • Options
    Cut footballers' arms off, they don't need them anyway. That'll solve it.
  • Options

Please don't americanise this brilliant sport, stop start stop start, they can keep that shit across the Atlantic!!!

I think you will find that, under the proposal, there will be actually less stop start than there currently is. How many times do we see a Ref have to call together a defender and attacker for having a pushing and shoving match. And that takes a lot more than 5 seconds.

• Options

I'm surprised that no club has introduced the kind of tight fitting shirts that rugby teams use. They were designed to make shirt holding difficult and seem to be worn universally by rugby players so must be effective. They could make all the difference at corners and free kicks into the box.

Replica shirt sales would plummet ;0)

• Options

I think you will find that, under the proposal, there will be actually less stop start than there currently is. How many times do we see a Ref have to call together a defender and attacker for having a pushing and shoving match. And that takes a lot more than 5 seconds.

And, as I said, the situation would go away within a couple of games, because they would have to stop doing it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2014
    Paint the shirts on the players torso's.

• Options
    We wouldn't need to make any radical changes if all the Refs were as brave as the one in the Uruguay match.
  • Options
    The simple remedy is to use technology.
  • Options
    If the offence warrants a direct free kick outside the box, then a similar offence inside the box should be a penalty.

Once the ball is in play and an offence occurs, just award the penalty.

It wouldn't take long before players got the message.

• Options
    Between Addick Addict and Oggy, the problem would be solved throughout the game. Not just at the top echelons as if the video vigilantes got their way.
  • Options
    Put superglue capsules on the shirt - then when somebody grips it - run as fast as you can and it will rip off in his hands!
  • Options
    Get rid of penalties. Give fouls in the box instead. Less high stakes so less cheating would result. Less disappointment for the hard done by team. No need for a penalty spot- saving paint and ground staff time. The down side is less controversy to talk about i.e. less drama. How important is the penalty per se to the game?
  • Options
    The Saudi FA have come up with a novel solution with I believe Sepp is seriously considering after checking the money has cleared his account.

Hands cut off for a first offence with outright decapitation if the culprit continues to take no notice.
  • Options
    Yesterday's Stoke v Swansea game highlighted the issue. A penalty is quite rightly given for holding against Stoke. But other instances, including a blatant shirt pull on Crouch is missed.

For that reason, refs will always err on the side of caution and not give penalties for something that when it occurs outside the box is given every single time.

• Options
    Sepp has a login! Welcome Lord Football.