Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

1981 Ticket Prices

Comments

• Ahh, the working mans game!
  • Welcome to mugs R us.
  • No sitting down at Southampton, our lot would have a fit!!
  • Guessing in 1981 the Dell (Southampton) was the only Ground that was 100% terracing.

Its the same with everything though... my parents bought a three bedroom house (Bexleyheath) around then for about £50k yet it would be around £300k more now
  • edited May 2014
    Winners season ticket holders £55 in 1981 = £184 (0nly £150 in A block ES) today :-0
    Losers match by match £3 in 1981 = £10 today
  • Things don't change that much - 13 of the 1981 top division clubs will be in the Prem next season and, of the remaining 9, 8 will be in the Championship.
  • No wonder nobody used to go to watch Charlton in Div 3.....it was cheaper to stand at 14 Division One clubs and cheaper to get a season ticket at least 9 of them! (can't read Coventry!)

Bearing in mind that Manchester City got to the FA Cup Final in 1981, £26 for a season ticket looks pretty good value!!
  • I love the fact it was almost twice as expensive to sit at Charlton and Millwall in Div 3 than it was at Man City in the top division !
  • My first game at The Valley was 1982 and I remember paying £2.50. At the time Brentford was £1 and QPR £1.50 to stand behind the goal, so Charlton struck me as being pricey!
  • Sunderland were taking liberties at £4.50 to sit down.
  • Sponsored links:

• Guessing in 1981 the Dell (Southampton) was the only Ground that was 100% terracing.

Think they had seating down both sides.

Suspect at the time of printing prices had not been confirmed.
  • PL54 said:

Sunderland were taking liberties at £4.50 to sit down.

Definitely! We paid something like £3.50 to sit behind the goal at Old Trafford in 1986!!!
  • One thing hasn't changed - Arsenal were the most expensive on season tickets back then too!
  • Seem to remember when I was at school it was 30p at the Valley but 22p at Upton Park, and as many of their fans reminded me West Ham were two divisions higher.

Think it was £2.60 at Old Trafford and £2.40 at Anfield when we first went up there, four quid at Sellout Park!
  • I love the fact the title says "CRAZY" as if people couldn't believe how expensive these tickets were.

Think they had seating down both sides.

Suspect at the time of printing prices had not been confirmed.

More likely that all the seats were STs. The Dell was a tiny ground.
  • Thing is in 1981 a mars bar was 2p, a pint of bitter cost 5p, a new ford cortina was £75 and a three bed house in bexleyheath £250
  • Back in the Sixties you could shin over the wall for nowt, near where the away supporters now enter the Jimmy Seed stand. Of course I was a good boy then, and dutifully paid my one-and-sixpence.
  • Back in the Sixties you could shin over the wall for nowt, near where the away supporters now enter the Jimmy Seed stand. Of course I was a good boy then, and dutifully paid my one-and-sixpence.

Until they put the non drying paint on the top of the wall. My mum was well impressed when I got home red.

• Interestingly 6 teams in division 2 played Conference Football last season and Wigan in division 4
  • Sponsored links:

• I love the fact the title says "CRAZY" as if people couldn't believe how expensive these tickets were.

I think above it says football, as in you would have to be football crazy to buy want to buy a season ticket.

Interesting how little difference there is between the divisions and clubs.
  • Historical perspectivism, as the good Marxists remind us, rightly. It wasn't that long ago that Man Citeh were in the third tier and almost blew their Wembley play-off final against Gillingham.

• Historical perspectivism, as the good Marxists remind us, rightly. It wasn't that long ago that Man Citeh were in the third tier and almost blew their Wembley play-off final against Gillingham.

The season before City and Stoke both were relegated to the third tier on the final day. A fate which they have yet to fully recover from.