Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Moving to Sheffield - Any Advice...

2»

Comments

• Options
    I would rather live in a box. A cardboard box than move to Sheffield.

• Options

Why don't you move in with operation pig for a while and get a feel for the area?

He lives in Surbiton.

• Options
    There are quite a few Addicks in and around Sheffield. what part of the city are you looking at? Where will the job be?
  • Options
    The job is at Sheffield university, so I am looking for somewhere fairly central. It does look like there are some nice places to visit nearby. I had a feeling most of the advice would be to not go :) probably looking to just rent a room to start with so I can save some money...
  • Options

The job is at Sheffield university, so I am looking for somewhere fairly central. It does look like there are some nice places to visit nearby. I had a feeling most of the advice would be to not go :) probably looking to just rent a room to start with so I can save some money...

Just do it, Moo2.

It'll give you a yardstick to measure just how low you have fallen.

• Options
    Its like stepping back in time mate. They still share baths and have air raid shelters...

don't let me put you off though. I was just the victim of several hub cap thefts.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

Why don't you move in with operation pig for a while and get a feel for the area?

He lives in Surbiton.

Even better. At least he will have electricity then

• Options
    MSE7 said:

Its like stepping back in time mate. They still share baths and have air raid shelters...

don't let me put you off though. I was just the victim of several hub cap thefts.

They don't have baths. They use buckets of rain water.
  • Options
    Enjoy it! Fabulously friendly people and a lot to do in the surrounding areas.
  • Options
    edited May 2014

Why don't you move in with operation pig for a while and get a feel for the area depressed?

Fixed that for you.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MSE7 said:

I would rather live in a box. A cardboard box than move to Sheffield.

Phew. Glad you specified a cardboard box there. After reading that first sentence I thought you meant a wooden box .
  • Options
    Have a look at Penistone area outside of city centre but a nice area if you drive have a friend who lives there
  • Options
    I think anywhere on the West side of the city is nice, leafy and easy to get in and out of uni and easy access to peaks for cycling/walking. I've lived there in the past and liked the nether edge, Ecce Rd area. Flats by the river in kelham island will be close to some if the best boozers if beer's your thing. Crookes/Walkley/Broomhill all very studenty, so I'd avoid unless you know you're not next to students. You'll love it. I just got a little bored after 6 years.
  • Options
    Save a little more and get something smaller down south.
  • Options
    edited May 2014

Save a little more and get something smaller down south.

The price of a 2 bed terrace should buy you a partshare of an allotment shed in Dartford. Or I believe MSE7 has a very nice box that he may be willing to negotiate a price on. A cardboard box.
  • Options
    RobRob
    edited May 2014
    You're not Ched Evans are you? :-)
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    I foresee flags...:0)
  • Options
    Smiley added :-)
  • Options

Why don't you move in with operation pig for a while and get a feel for the area depressed?

Fixed that for you.
    Cheers mate, that is much better.
  • Options
    Chappletown is the the place to move.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Don't drink the tap water it often has tadpoles in
  • Options
    MSE7 said:

Don't drink the tap water it often has tadpoles in

Taps? I still get my water from the stream oop the road. Sometimes have to jostle for position with some sheep but it's worth the three mile walk.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    I don't no what was worse the fact the horag stole my hubcaps or the fact he looked like john wark in a pair of raybans

• Options
    edited May 2014

Definitely setting myself up here...

Just got a new job up in Sheffield. I have been looking for paid work in zoology for about 6 years and if looks like working 7 days a week and volunteering for over 5 years has finally paid off :)

However I have little/no idea of what areas to live in up there, hoping to get some advice off of the new employers but I am sure the helpful souls of CL can offer up some 'useful' advice ;)

Thanks in advance...

It's a great City, I might be biased but I really rate it compared to similar sized cities, you can travel only a few miles and one would think you were in a very remote part of the world (Peak district).

If you're working at Sheffield University then it depends on your budget, basically you get what you pay for, around the Uni it's central so you could get an apartment or opt for a rented house.

Crookes, Broomhill, parts of Walkley (nr Crookes) are very student areas, they are okay if you can accept noise and getting woken up in the middle of the night, not everyones cup of tea when you're working.

Ecclesall Rd is a nice area for going out and is upmarket but it does have students living around there too.

• Options

You don't have to rent mate - you can BUY a flat for about a year's rent in London! rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-30401934.html

But on a serious note - by moving away from London you are putting a big, big dent in your chances of ever getting (back) into the London property market. Some years back, I spent two years in Newcastle and trying to catch up with the difference in house price inflation when I came back Sarf was a real headache.
  • Options
    In answer to your original question, "Moving to Sheffield - any advice?"....yeah, DON'T!