Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

'Successful Businessman'

God that expression seems to have cropped up a lot lately when discussing the pros and cons of RD.

Judge him on his actions / inactions with us, but I don't buy all this 'he's a successful businessman' reasoning.

At some stage Mark Goldberg, Simon Jordan, Robert Maxwell, Tony Jiminez, even Bernard Madoff were all seen as successful businessman.

'People in business', particularly those prepared to take risks, are generally as unsuccessful as they are successful. its the nature of the beast.

Comments

• As usual find myself agreeing with successful Internet forum entrepreneur AFKA.
  • Rather a successful businessman with half a billion than a failed entrepreneur with a maxed out Barclaycard.
  • They're just trying to say that although these decisions seem bizarre and irrational, businessmen make decisions based on planning, logic and rationale. Nothing wrong with saying that.
  • Although I could be successful in the world of finance but you probably wouldn't want me to build you an extension
  • The Venky's are successful businessmen ...
  • Chunes said:

They're just trying to say that although these decisions seem bizarre and irrational, businessmen make decisions based on planning, logic and rationale. Nothing wrong with saying that.

For years, Richard Murray received, quite rightly, the plaudits for a series of masterly decisions which delivered us success enjoyment and pride . Planning, logic, rationale, blah, blah, blah, they were all in evidence. After Curbs left he made some decisions which did not turn out well (although the role of others who were influential at the time, such as Derek Chapple, has never been scrutinised). Richard Murray is a successful businessman, not that far behind Duchatelet on most measures. If you asked the chairmen of virtually every pro club in the entire league if they consider themselves a "successful businessman", nearly all of them will answer "yes". Jiminez has a blog which trumpets that very claim.

If people want to be deferential in that way, that's up to them. However I would urge people to pay great attention to @Mundell Fleming. With his own experience with many different kinds of business, he is able to pick apart the strengths and weaknesses of RD and his business strategy, because there are always strengths and weaknesses. Ask anyone with Co-op shares, or Tesco share for that matter.

• God that expression seems to have cropped up a lot lately when discussing the pros and cons of RD.

Judge him on his actions / inactions with us, but I don't buy all this 'he's a successful businessman' reasoning.

At some stage Mark Goldberg, Simon Jordan, Robert Maxwell, Tony Jiminez, even Bernard Madoff were all seen as successful businessman.

'People in business', particularly those prepared to take risks, are generally as unsuccessful as they are successful. its the nature of the beast.

100% this.

I am going to revert back to just enjoying supoorting the club mind frame now though. Its just easier.

Whatever will be will be.