Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Head Coach vs Manager

One of the dilemmas with Big Bob's appointment, is his actual role as Head Coach. One that I have a fair bit of confidence in. However, I've not started this thread about his appointment, as there is already a lengthy one on that. Indeed this thread is for the debate of whether you have a Head Coach, or a Manager.

Now it's not just a job title. It's far more important than that. A Manager, as we all know, decides everything. Who his staff are, transfers, player acquisitions, player contracts etc etc. But what of the role of Head Coach? Their role is just a fraction of that of a Manager. When it comes to transfers, the Head Coach may ask the owner, or Football Director et al, for a position to be filled. They won't get much of a say, if any who that will be. They just train, and pick the side. Unless of course you have a meddling owner.

Since RD took over it was quite clear that we would going down this route. As soon as he starting bring in players from his network (of which we are now part of, like or not), it was obvious a Manager could not be in position. Being part of this increasing network has it's advantages and disadvantages, but there is already a thread on that too.

Now, we have tried this structure before but that was with Iain Dowie, and his role was a hybrid between the two. Dowie would say what player he wanted, like a Manager would. But it was Mills (as General Manager) that paid over the odds, and dealt with the contractsfor them. It didn't work, and not just because of the personnel .

But I'm not saying that it wouldn't work now. We simply don't know. We've never been in this position before, and very few clubs have been. We have to be brave, and take a leap of faith. Something that we are well used to at Charlton.

I'm not going to pass judgment on the Head Coach v Manager argument. At least, not just yet. We need to see what happens with player acquisitions, as well as rapidly expiring player contracts, before we can start to decide if this whole episode is a disaster or the dawn of a new golden era. Only time will tell.

Comments

• A Head Coach is a Manager. Isn't the UK the only pace in the World where they still use the word 'Manager'?
  • Is being Head Coach for Real Madrid a lesser position than Manager at CAFC?
  • A Head Coach is a manager up until the point where things don't go well.

Then the Head Coach can turn around and say 'well i didn't sign these players!'
  • I believe you have a distorted view of a football Manager's role. It would not include deciding to buy or sell a particular player and most definitely not contract negotiations. The manager picks the team and via a scouting network identifies players he believes would strengthen the squad. The owner (usually Chariman) decides on how much net budget he or she wishes to spend (including transfer fees and overall value of contract) and the Chief Exec or Director of Football would enquire as to availability and negotiate with the player and agent on contract terms, and also negotiate with the outgoing (or incoming if a sale) club on the transfer fee.

The reality is that there is very little, if any, difference between a Head Coach and a Manager - it really is just a job title. The Chairman and/or Chief Exec 'manage' the club.
  • It's not distorted, it's an observation of the the way the roles are interpreted at many different clubs. There are specific differences at each club. This was a general summary of the key differences that are in the majority of the two roles.

It also appears that this is the exact way RD wants the club to be run.
  • Simon, you say in your opening post that 'they just train and pick the side'. That's exactly what a manager does. What is the point of buying players the manager doesn't want? He just won't play them - and as you say the head coach picks the side.

There are exceptions - Ferguson and Wenger to name but two - who would have perhaps much more of a say but those two guys are/were in reality directors of the companies.

A manager or head coach would say I want another right midfielder and am interested in x - the Director of Football would enquire about x and also scout for other similar players. If available and affordable then negotiations commence - the manager WILL NOT decide how much to pay or how much the wages will be.

The observation you make is valid but is perceived wisdom - the reality is entirely different.
  • Having just read Harry Redknapp's book he confirms in there that he had no say in players contracts and how much they were paid etc. he just picked the team and trained them. He could obviously suggest players he would like to sign but especially at Tottenham absolutely everything financial was done by the Chairman and his close associates. Manager/Head Coach - two names for the same job.
  • 1. Many people seem to think Green could play at this level - why did he not progress?
    2. After his contribution in League 1 why has Hollands been discarded for the best part of 2 years?
    3. Recognising efforts to retain his services why did Evina go from a real prospect to a stumbling shadow of himself?
    4. Examining his exceptional statistics why was Pritchard allowed to fall away so badly?
    5. With the dearth of options why did Smith never have a chance to establish himself?
    6. With his experience why could Gower not contribute?
    7. Why did it take so long for Sordell to deliver?
    8. Why did Harriott struggle so badly for so long?
    9. Why was Church so ineffective for us?
    10. Why was Jordan Cook simply unable to step up?

1. He is piss poor and cant cross a pools coupon, unless attempting to shoot from a corner
    2. Not got the legs (or skill to offset no legs)
    3. Was evina every really a serious prospect ? not a touch on wiggins for me
    4. Championship was a step too far for him
    5. Budget cuts and hoof ball
    6. injured lots I thought
    7. Hoof ball
    8. Didnt he get singled out for bad performance by Powell ? Not everyone needs to be crushed to improve... arm around the shoulder works too.
    9. He couldnt fire blanks
    10. No idea

• Great article Grapevine; very interesting to read.