Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

RIP Maya Angelou

Civil rights activist and award winning author dies aged 86.

http://globalgrind.com/tag/maya-angelou/

Comments

• A truly inspiring lady. RIP.
  • Her writings live on. RIP
  • RIP - What a fascinating and important life she had.
  • RIP. Seems out of the blue.
  • An amazing and truly inspiring lady. Rest in Peace Miss Angelou.
  • Some inspiring quotes on the Web RIP
  • edited May 2014
    “Hoping for the best, prepared for the worst, and unsurprised by anything in between.”
    ― Maya Angelou, I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings
    RIP you beautiful woman.
  • edited May 2014
    RIP. Didn't know much about her until today but seems I should have, by all accounts a talented, brave and fascinating lady.
  • RIP. An amazing lady and with SF Bay Area ties as well. A fascinating story on Wikipedia.

This is the event that plotted her eventual life path......

When she was eight Angelou was sexually abused and raped by her mother's boyfriend, a man named Freeman. She told her brother, who told the rest of their family. Freeman was found guilty but was jailed for only one day. Four days after his release, he was murdered, probably by Angelou's uncles. Angelou became mute for almost five years, believing, as she stated, "I thought, my voice killed him; I killed that man, because I told his name. And then I thought I would never speak again, because my voice would kill anyone ..." According to Marcia Ann Gillespie and her colleagues, who wrote a biography about Angelou, it was during this period of silence when Angelou developed her extraordinary memory, her love for books and literature, and her ability to listen and observe the world around her.

RIP

• Sponsored links:

• “Hoping for the best, prepared for the worst, and unsurprised by anything in between.”

Should be our motto on here quite frankly.