Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Weird penalty (goal or no goal?) : Afghanistan vs Maldives

2»

Comments

• Options

cafcfan said:

Great watch! This is the FIFA rule interpretation:
    "Feinting in the run-up to take a penalty kick to confuse opponents is permitted
    as part of football. However, feinting to kick the ball once the player has
    completed his run-up is considered an infringement of Law 14 and an act of
    unsporting behaviour for which the player must be cautioned."

So, in this example as the player just fell over, whether on purpose or not, in his run up before getting anywhere near the ball, I reckon the ref was correct to allow the goal.

Sums it up, referencing only the facts. The rest of the thread is just uninformed shite.
    Does it depend on interpretation of the laws of the game though ?

A player should be cautioned for the offence :

Acts in a manner which shows a lack of respect for the game.

In my view this is relevant in the players behaviour. Certainly a trick designed to put the goalkeeper off purely and simply. Lack of respect for the game in my view.

The rule is quite explicit in allowing attempts to confuse the keeper.
    Yes that's why I said interpretation of the laws is the thing here. The rules do allow for feinting during the run up but where does the line get crossed into unsporting behaviour ? In this case I think it does.

I ask this question. If Johnnie Jackson did this at a The Valley would you be happy with that or think that he was going too far and acting outside of the spirit of the game ? I know what I think.

Using something like a laser pointer on the 'keeper would be unsporting behaviour, as would, I reckon, doing a striptease. This falling over I do not have a problem with.
  • Options

cafcfan said:

"Feinting in the run-up to take a penalty kick to confuse opponents is permitted

So, in this example as the player just fell over, whether on purpose or not, in his run up before getting anywhere near the ball, I reckon the ref was correct to allow the goal.

Sums it up, referencing only the facts. The rest of the thread is just uninformed shite.

In my view this is relevant in the players behaviour. Certainly a trick designed to put the goalkeeper off purely and simply. Lack of respect for the game in my view.

Yes that's why I said interpretation of the laws is the thing here. The rules do allow for feinting during the run up but where does the line get crossed into unsporting behaviour ? In this case I think it does.

I ask this question. If Johnnie Jackson did this at a The Valley would you be happy with that or think that he was going too far and acting outside of the spirit of the game ? I know what I think.

Using something like a laser pointer on the 'keeper would be unsporting behaviour, as would, I reckon, doing a striptease. This falling over I do not have a problem with.
    Well there we differ. I like football played by real blokes that don't cheat, dive, fein injury and in general don't play the game like big Jessie's. If I wanted to watch a circus act I would go to the circus.

• Options

cafcfan said:

Well there we differ. I like football played by real blokes that don't cheat, dive, fein injury and in general don't play the game like big Jessie's. If I wanted to watch a circus act I would go to the circus.

I have no issue with the sex or sexuality of anyone playing football. I don't like cheats but that wasn't cheating. If they change the rules so as to outlaw this then fair enough but as the rules stand that was OK. He'd have looked a complete pillock if he did do it on purpose and accidentally touched the ball as he fell so it's a potentially high risk tactic, just like when Henry tried to be clever with an Arsenal penalty and totally mucked it up.
  • Options

cafcfan said:

I have no issue with the sex or sexuality of anyone playing football. I don't like cheats but that wasn't cheating. If they change the rules so as to outlaw this then fair enough but as the rules stand that was OK. He'd have looked a complete pillock if he did do it on purpose and accidentally touched the ball as he fell so it's a potentially high risk tactic, just like when Henry tried to be clever with an Arsenal penalty and totally mucked it up.
    I think it's unsporting behaviour (see above) on that basis I think it's a yellow card.

• Options

se9addick said:

Nothing at all wrong with that

Even if it's in the rules there's quite a lot wrong with that !
    How is it in the rules, he never got to the ball so its not an infringement
    So what he did is within the rules then, isn't it ?
  • Options
    Well the unsporting behaviour law leaves a liitle slack for the ref to decide. This is sensible as everything has to be viewed in context. The first time it happened the ref had to decide whether it is unsporting. This ref clearly thought it was ok - he may have thought the taker slipped! Now if this happens again - the powers that be will look at it - if they are not happy they will direct refs that this is considered an unsporting act then every ref won't give it.
  • Options

cafcfan said:

I think it's unsporting behaviour (see above) on that basis I think it's a yellow card.

Unsporting behaviour - maybe. But then so is all sledging, every swear word, all moaning at the ref, every single shirt tug, obstruction, blocking at a corner, slow walk to the sidelines after substitution, substitutions in injury time, time wasting in general, taking corners when the ball is outside the quadrant, claiming for throw-ins/corners when you know it's the other team's, claiming for offside when you know it isn't, claiming handball when you know it isn't, goalkeepers hanging off the crossbar, goalkeepers wobbling about during penalties, goalkeepers moving before the penalty is taken, goalkeepers being in front of the goal line when a penalty is taken. So, what does a ref do? Simply book everyone twice in the first couple of minutes and abandon the game?
  • Options
    If that player deliberately meant to trip up, fly and face plant the turf then that is some of the best acting I have ever seen.

Maybe he is trying to put himself in the shop window for clubs to buy him during the Summer, ticks a few boxes.
    -International footballer
    -Officials can't tell he is diving for a gain
    -Copes well under pressure
    -Good 1 step penalty taker
    -Thanks to youtube he is a globally known player and any 'Goals and Gaffs' DVD's for Christmas would mean the club also might get royalties?

You heard it here first.
  • Options
    i used to hate john aldriges pens just saying.
  • Options
    Does anybody remember seeing a shootout in the last year or so, where one side took their sweet time before shooting?

They would wait for the whistle, but rather than immediately run up, they'd wait until they were good and ready. 10-15 seconds at least. They smashed them all in the roof of the net and won.

I think it was an international U21 game.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

cafcfan said:

What about looking one way when you pass another? The Classic Dutch passed penalty? Dropping a shoulder? Dummying? The game isn't supposed to be a tedious colour by numbers, a bit of ingenuity or trickery is fundamental to creative football. This is somewhat on the edge of that but let's not suck every last ounce of joy and creativity out of it just yet.