Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Phone upgrade

I need some advice.
My son at Uni needs a phone upgrade. I pay his bills and the account is on my name. Now ideally he wants to stay with EE and stay with an iPhone however looking at their website to upgrade to an iphone5 with no upfront cost is going to increase the monthly charge from 34.99 to 74.99.
I of course would like to reduce the monthly outgoing. Any help from you bright young things who know about this stuff will be much appreciated. I can't help feeling that they are taking the piss or am I just being a tight git?

Comments

• Options
    It shouldnt be anywhere near that even with an phone 5s.

• Options
    I would let him keep his old phone and move to a sim only deal. Me and the wife are planning to do this soon as our 4s's are perfectly fine and the new deals are too costly imo.
  • Options
    go 1month simonly and wait for the iphone 6
  • Options
    Ignore the iWash and get a decent Android phone instead. There's many to choose from. The Motorola Moto G is amazing for the money.
  • Options
    mart77 said:

I would let him keep his old phone and move to a sim only deal. Me and the wife are planning to do this soon as our 4s's are perfectly fine and the new deals are too costly imo.

I hear what you say but apparently his existing iPhone 4 is on its way out- hence the need for change.
  • Options
    Dave2l said:

Wont that be even more expensive?
  • Options
    If you really want to stay with that particular provider, pay the upgrade cost upfront, will be cheaper.

40 quid extra is daylight if its 12 months contract. If its 24 months then its the worse deal since pityor paryesek.

Find a deal from a competitior (i fone 5 is free on most 30 quid a month 24 month contracts) and tell them to match it.
  • Options
    JWADDICK said:

Dave2l said:

Wont that be even more expensive?
    for 24month commitment it could be better value for money.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Good advice from @Dave2l‌ .... must say though that the fone packages drop about 20% after 3 months of first release of a new handset.

So whatever the i fone 6 is in the first few weeks, would be around 20% cheaper after 3 months, across all providers. Its a factor is you sign up for 24 month s
  • Options
    You can get different prices in an EE shop and also by phoning them up, I nearly done it online with EE for my daughter but in the shop instead of 1gb data limit it was unlimited and they had a special offer of £10 off all monthly bills so it was £16 instead of £26. So compare online, shop, and phone EE up.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Im actually working upgrading customers on 02 as speak.

Shame you or your son is not with 02, I could have helped.
  • Options
    Dave2l said:

Im actually working upgrading customers on 02 as speak.

Shame you or your son is not with 02, I could have helped.

What deals can you do. Im on O2 contract and can upgrade but iPhone 5s is a bit OT cost wise. I was thinking to pay out for IPhone 6 it comes out and do the £11 monthly. But I like my 4s.
  • Options
    Bought iphone5 and pay £10 a month payg on Giff gaff. O2 called me last week to offer a better deal but couldn't.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Can I just point out they're not fones they are phones.
  • Options
    Lyca (which use the 02 signal) are currently doing 500 mins , unlimited texts and umlimited 4G data for £12 a month. Get a 4G phone off contract and go for that I'd say.
  • Options
    Can I point out that they are not phones, they are telephones.
  • Options
    Can I just point out that fones, phones and telephones are all off spring of the acoustic telegraphy machine