Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Good Pub names

Comments

• Options
    Stig said:

iaitch said:

Cock Inn

Eddie, how far's the Cock Inn?
    The Cock Inn
    Welwyn
    Herts
    I heard it was a letter addressed to:-

Miss Lucky LIke
    The Cock Inn
    Tillett
    Herts.

• Options
    That's Miss Lucy Likes.
  • Options
    Richard J said:

Have you ever visited a Pub just because you like the name ? Does this affect whether you go there or not?

Many years ago I found a pub in Islington called the Three Johns after seeing Alexi Sayle do a sketch around it.

I now live in North East London and often go through Islington on my way home from work I was pleased to see last week that it has now reopened.

Its funny because when it was called the Hobgoblin , I had no interest in going in there . Now I can see it is the Three Johns I think I will break my journey one night and have a pint.

The Three Johns....I last went there in the late 80's. I think it used to be in the same street as The Pint Pot....both just off Chapel Market. Seem to remember it was alright.
  • Options
    iaitch said:

That's Miss Lucy Likes.

iaitch said:

Stig said:

iaitch said:

Cock Inn

Eddie, how far's the Cock Inn?
    The Cock Inn
    Welwyn
    Herts
    I heard it was a letter addressed to:-

Miss Lucky Likes
    The Cockwell Inn
    Tillett
    Herts.

• Options
    There was, I doubt very much whether it's still there, a pub called The Drift Inn, Wide Open in Northumberland. I have a feeling it featured in an episode of The Likely Lads.
  • Options
    Simonsen said:

Richard J said:

Have you ever visited a Pub just because you like the name ? Does this affect whether you go there or not?

Many years ago I found a pub in Islington called the Three Johns after seeing Alexi Sayle do a sketch around it.

I now live in North East London and often go through Islington on my way home from work I was pleased to see last week that it has now reopened.

Its funny because when it was called the Hobgoblin , I had no interest in going in there . Now I can see it is the Three Johns I think I will break my journey one night and have a pint.

The Three Johns....I last went there in the late 80's. I think it used to be in the same street as The Pint Pot....both just off Chapel Market. Seem to remember it was alright.

That was around the same time I went in there . We used it a couple of times on our way to or from Highbury back in the day as it was closish to Angel Station. Although I admit before living north of the River 7 years ago my geography of Islington was patchy .

I work in Euston and in the summer I like to get the Bus rather than the Tube home and I need to change Buses at the Angel of Islington. I had completely forgotten where the Three Johns was and the Pub had subsequently been called the Hobgoblin and the Fallen Angel .I never made the connection. Much to my delight last week I saw the original name had returned. I think I will now stop off one night for a pint one afternoon .

• Options
    Surely, it's The Cock Inn Pratt's bottom.
  • Options
    There's a Nobody's Inn somewhere in Devon - one of those silly long names like Abbotcombeskirkwell
  • Options
    I just watched The World's End yesterday. Now reading this thread, I think those 12 pub names mentioned in that film all pale in comparison.
  • Options
    There was the Frog and Radiator in Woolwich Road.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

There's a Nobody's Inn somewhere in Devon - one of those silly long names like Abbotcombeskirkwell

It's in Doddiscombsleigh.

• Options
    Then there's The Chelsea Drugstore, once a pub,which morphed into the drug store (with bars) famously mentioned in the Stones record, then just a pub but a good one and, now, sadly a Macdonalds - shocking!
  • Options
    Dirty Dicks in Bishopsgate
  • Options
    Remote country pub no one would ever stumble across unless lost is in the wilds of Hampshire. It has no signs outside and referred to as "the pub with no name" as no point in giving directions to the White Horse.
  • Options
    The Hufflers Arms Dartford.
  • Options
    edited June 2014

Woodin's Shades in aldgate. What does that reference?

I like this one as well in Nunhead - Pyrotechnics Arms

Apparently, William Woodin bought the pub, in Bishopsgate, in 1863. The term 'shades' originated in the 19th century as a synonym for wine vaults, and was also a term signifying the availability of prostitutes.

• Options
    There is a pub here in Shoreham by Sea called the Piston Broke.
  • Options
    The Skiving Scholar was my Uni local and The Dorset Knob near Poole is a classic. Very mature!
  • Options
    I went to a pub in the yorkshire dales called the cattle market arms...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

The Frog and Nightgown. Sounds like a wacky chain-pub on the city-centre circuit, but is actually a lovely old tile-hung cottage on a country lane outside Horsham.

Used to love it in there, the old boys front room converted into a pub! I was sitting in the garden of this establishment listening to the car stereo when Maradona scored by the hand of god. Been past recently and doesn't look as if its open anymore sadly
  • Options
    The Docker's Fists

The name comes from a Viz comic strip, where Student Grant and his friend get into a bit of bother! I'm sure we've all been in pubs like this.
  • Options
    Always thought "The Jerusalem Tavern" is quite a memorable and unusual name. Interesting little St Peter's pub in the city, if you don't know it.
  • Options

I was close
  • Options

I was close
    You were indeed. Doddiscombsleigh is not far from Abbotskerswell and Combeinteignhead.

• Options

I was close
    You were indeed. Doddiscombsleigh is not far from Abbotskerswell and Combeinteignhead.

I was even closer than I thought. Thanks for the info.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Visit 'Carlsens Kvarter': 'Carlsen's Quarter' if you ever get the chance to come by Odense :-)
  • Options
    The Royal Oak, aka Polly Clean Stairs, Bexleyheath.
  • Options

Always thought "The Jerusalem Tavern" is quite a memorable and unusual name. Interesting little St Peter's pub in the city, if you don't know it.

Yes, been there: you realise the interior is a reconstruction, not original. There's a famous pub in Nottingham named Ye Olde Trip to Jerusalem (known locally as 'the Trip'), which is one of quite a few that claim to be Britain's oldest. The back rooms have been burrowed out of a sandstone cliff.

• Options
    Doing the rounds on FB " Big Dicks Halfway Inn" Not a clue where it is though!