Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

King Juan Carlos of Spain abdicates

I reckon Elizabeth should do the same. Phillips health isn't great and she isn't getting any younger.
Having worked tirelessly for 61 years surely she deserves some retirement time.
Ps I am not a Royalist but I have a lot of respect for the Queen.
King Juan Carlos of Spain has announced his intention to abdicate, after nearly 40 years on the throne.

"A new generation must be at the forefront... younger people with new energies," the 76-year-old king said in a televised address.

His son, Crown Prince Felipe, 45, will take over the throne.

Comments

• Options
    You think he'd wait until after the World Cup
  • Options
    se9addick said:

You think he'd wait until after the World Cup

Probably seen enough tippy tappy football for a life time, although can't see that as the reason for his abdication. ;-)
  • Options
    Can I be the first to say thank you and good luck. Proper Charlton through and through. Will be missed by those itk.
  • Options
    lol quality
  • Options

Just when I thought that joke was starting to get tired. (Alright not "just when", more like "about 6 months after" but I welcome this revival nontheless).

• Options
    I didn't even know they had a King.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Chunes said:

I didn't even know they had a King.

personally think he should have abdicated after this abomination..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlXtrnh-Ejo
  • Options
    Anybody know where this leaves Ashley Giles?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Liz won't abdicate unless her health forces her to. In '47 she promised to reign until she popped her clogs. As I can't see this country becoming a republic, it looks like we're stuck with her.
  • Options

Liz won't abdicate unless her health forces her to. In '47 she promised to reign until Charlton won the Cup again or when she popped her clogs. As I can't see this country becoming a republic, it looks like we're stuck with her.

• Options
    He's gone, move on.
  • Options
    Feckin Dutchelet!! I can see his wicked nefarious hand in this somewhere!
  • Options
    edited June 2014

Feckin Dutchelet!! I can see his wicked nefarious hand in this somewhere!

He'll draft in a spare king he's not using from Belgium. But he won't be any good.
  • Options
    John Terry has been given clearance to be crowned in the stead of the new king, who will be sitting next to the former England captain during the ceremony.
  • Options
    The Queen can't abdicate as her successor would be prince Charles. The plan would be, I imagine, to out live him or die at a point where he is too old to be king!
  • Options
    Will my old Pesetas be worth anything now? Pollensa 1975, Ah, the memories.