Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

'zues' cyber attack

How do people still get caught out with these, especially big companies ? With the greatest respect, you must be some kind of fool to open emails sent from Banks or HMRC.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-27668260

Comments

• Options
    Old people and the computer illiterate.
  • Options

Just watching the news and a company lost 100k in 3 minutes recently
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    shine166 said:

Just watching the news and a company lost 100k in 3 minutes recently
    It'll be 50 times that in a matter of seconds if/when Diego puts pen to paper for another outfit :-(
  • Options
    Scrimping on IT spending plays a big part. Obviously, being in the industry I'm going to say that, but it's true. Since the bean counters took over running IT, staff and systems have been cut to ribbons, and experienced, good people are harder to come by. The end result of this is things like IDS/IPS systems either not installed at all, not being fit for purpose, or being run by people with no experience.
  • Options
    A lot of companies and Govts. still running on Windows XP too as a lot of their bespoke software was built for it - doubt that will help. Presumably some private users don't know it's unsupported now.
  • Options
    shine166 said:

How do people still get caught out with these, especially big companies ? With the greatest respect, you must be some kind of fool to open emails sent from Banks or HMRC.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-27668260

Loads. Probably a similar amount to those who think they've won the Nigerian lottery.

I find it strange that if you're affected with this, your ISP will notify you by email or letter.
    Whats the point of giving them your contact phone number and you end up with a nasty like this and they write you a letter?

• Options
    Great story for the likes of McAfee and Norton. £££££££££££
  • Options
    I just use the free version of avast, is this generally good enough or do you get what you pay for? (or don't in this case)
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Talal said:

I just use the free version of avast, is this generally good enough or do you get what you pay for? (or don't in this case)

I would suggest there's no such thing as 'free' software.
  • Options
    I've used AVG free edition for years and had no problems (touch wood)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Talal said:

I would suggest there's no such thing as 'free' software.
    Well, you'd suggest wrong. My whole operating system together with most of the software running with it is entirely free.
  • Options
    Good luck to you