Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Mortgage rates - Finance Wizards on here

2 questions to the finance wizards on here

How much will our bank rates going up over time affect mortgage rates? It seems like when they go down its the libor rate that affects the rates, whereas when they go up its the bank rate - anyway how much would our mortgage rates really go up, is this really as big a time bomb as people are saying or is it just going to affect the lucky mob who had bank rate matched/pegged interest mortgage rates?

Also how much will Euro rates dropping hold down our own rates?

Comments

• Options
    Not sure I would call myself a wizard but my thoughts

Bank Base Rate will directly affect those, like me, on a tracker mortgage as they are directly linked to Base Rate.it will also affect those on fixed rates where the fixed rate is for a short period and they revert to tracker rates (obviously once the fix expires).

3 monthLibor is tracking only about 3bps (0.03%) above Base Rate and in a functioning market has historically tracked Base Rate pretty closely therefore I would imagine if Base Rate increases banks may well increase their internal bank rates which would affect those on variable rate mortgage - this will be down to the bank but as Libor (should) be what banks borrow money at then it is likely that increases here will have a direct increase in pricing on banks internal rates.

I think it could be a time bomb but Bank of England will be aware and this is likely to keep them in check in respect to increases in Base Rate. Too many people have borrowed on mortgages over the last5 years against an artificially low interest rate environment and when they see their payments increase it will undoubtedly cause distress. That is why, whilst unpopular, the affordability tests coming in when taking out a mortgage now are absolutely the right thing for longer term sustainability and stability.

As for the Euro rate...somewhat outside my knowledge I am afraid, can't see an immediate connection but I am probably missing something.
  • Options
    Finally, if base Rate increases it is likely the interest rate curve will also increase which will mean fixed rates becoming more expensive which is why I am toying with the idea of a 5-7 year fix whilst rates are still relatively low.
  • Options
    Agree. I got a 4 year fix with the Nationwide in March at 3.49%, a deal which has now gone to 3.74% despite base rate remaining at 0.5%. They are only going to go one way, but it will be managed as sharp increases will lead to greater levels of default and have the knock-on effect of hitting the housing market, which like it or not is a great driver of consumer confidence in the UK.
    Generally, deals aside, I would expect standard mortgage rates to maintain closely their differential with base rates.
  • Options
    Not a wiz but I follow the financial news quite closely.

I'm moving from variable (currently 2.5% for me) to a 5 year fix (3% on max 60% LTV).
  • Options
    I think whenever rates go up it will be reflected in mortgage. The banks say the delta between mortgage and base is largely driven by risk, so it will stay. I think the main thing preventing the rates going up is politicians fear of the reaction of voters I. The debt trap, reacting adversely. It's a bit like driving a car on its rims because there's a riot going on. Eventually you know that you're doing a lot of harm and can't go on forever, but you don't want to bite the bullet.
  • Options
    Interested to see what the rates were before this all began cos variables still up around 5% despite .5 base rate at the moment. Don't recall them being much higher than that pre crash.
  • Options
    And another here http://new.mortgageguideuk.co.uk/2007/05/prospects-for-interest-rates-in-uk-may.html?m=1

So what will bank and mortgage rates go to this time is the question I guess
  • Options

Finally, if base Rate increases it is likely the interest rate curve will also increase which will mean fixed rates becoming more expensive which is why I am toying with the idea of a 5-7 year fix whilst rates are still relatively low.

I'd say go for it.
  • Options

I'd say go for it.
    The only thing holding me back is flexibility. I may be able to pay some big chunks back in the next few years, if that was not the case I would have done it already.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    razil said:

And another here http://new.mortgageguideuk.co.uk/2007/05/prospects-for-interest-rates-in-uk-may.html?m=1

So what will bank and mortgage rates go to this time is the question I guess

For what it is worth i think base rate will start to go up almost straight after the election and rise steadily by 1/4 percent until it hits 2% or so still way under the long running average. I would like to think banks will hold firm on their internal variable rates if they are already currently up at about the 5% mark, as this would give them a healthy 3% margin
  • Options
    Jints said:

I'm moving from variable (currently 2.5% for me) to a 5 year fix (3% on max 60% LTV).

Who's that with?
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    I agree with all of the above, except I think rates will rise before the next election, early next year, at the latest.

Personally, I'd have started to increase rates, some months ago and I can see house prices tumbling from their peak (in London & the South East) in the next few years.

I'm not sure if they will ease back or fall quite sharply, but with rising rates and restricted lending, the demand will fall & so will property prices in the short/medium term.
  • Options
    Why the rush to raise them?

Taking the nonsensical language out of it. This is the first time in years most of us homeowners have got a tiny bit pf breathing space. A few more quid can be spent im the shops and restaurants and building.

Surely that benefits all more than the few at the top by skinning me for an extra half a percent per calendar month? Or am I being too idealistic?
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Because the property market in the South East is overheating and more likely to crash, the longer rates are left.

Unlesss, the Bof E come up with different measures, to cool the market, which is possible, due to the Canadian, Mark Carney, now in charge.
  • Options
    razil said:

Interested to see what the rates were before this all began cos variables still up around 5% despite .5 base rate at the moment. Don't recall them being much higher than that pre crash.

Before the crash mortgage rates were 4-5% when base was 4%. Much of the house price increase can be put down to a drop in rates as 7-8% was common in the 90s so if you halve the cost of capital then prices rise to meet the same point whether it's your mortgage or buy to let, more people enter the market because there is an angle.
    Risk is key now...if one has 40%+ equity and an income then with the help of the Web or a financial adviser you can cut a deal because you are an attractive punter. Put another way, I wouldn't want to be refinancing a 90% mortgage in 2017 if rates are up and my fixed rate deal is running out!

• Options

Jints said:

Who's that with?
    Yorkshire Bank. HSBC do a slightly lower 5 yr fix at 2.95% but the fee is £1,500 (Yorkshire's is about £800)

• Options
    razil said:

You can get much lower than that (2 to 2.5%) if you have half-decent equity

• Options
    Jints said:

Jints said:

Who's that with?
    Yorkshire Bank. HSBC do a slightly lower 5 yr fix at 2.95% but the fee is £1,500 (Yorkshire's is about £800)

Thats what i have chosen, slightly higher than 3% though.
  • Options
    It is easy for those living in London and the South East to overlook the comparative stagnancy (is there such a word?) of the rest of the country not forgetting Scotland (if they stay) and Wales.

Thus any interest rate decision needs to consider that.

The truth of the matter though is that Christine Lagarde has spoken so Cameron and Osborne will roll over to have their tummies (and other bits probably) tickled.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I am currently looking at mortgages. Is this the wrong time to be doing so? I'm currently living at home (mums) saving the deposit money.

I will have 90% mortgage and will probably look for a 5 year fixed rate or so. I have an appointment with a mortgage broker (although its a free service) on Saturday. Dont want to be up shit creek once the 5 year fixed rate expires!
  • Options
    I don't think you will be up shit creek mate, you will just be ripped off

The problem is it only seems to be people with lot's of money who know how it works

• Options
    Took out a 2 year fixed in April at 3.06% 85% LTV. My hope is that I can remortgage at the end of the fixed term to another fix with a significantly lower LTV after revaluation thanks to property price increases and improvements made, but its always a gamble. We're not planning on living where we are for more than 5 years though. I'd fix for as long as you can now if this is where you'll be living for the foreseeable future.
  • Options
    Thats the other thing, to get a half sensible rate you need to have a smaller LTV like addickted above

Not sure how anyone earning normal wages could get 15% for a first place. As you are living at mums you have a better chance of this but the better deals start at 75%
  • Options
    Dizzle said:

I am currently looking at mortgages. Is this the wrong time to be doing so? I'm currently living at home (mums) saving the deposit money.

I will have 90% mortgage and will probably look for a 5 year fixed rate or so. I have an appointment with a mortgage broker (although its a free service) on Saturday. Dont want to be up shit creek once the 5 year fixed rate expires!

At a higher loan to value the rates will be higher and the likelihood is that prices will rise in the next two years. Thus I would take a two year fixed rate if I were you and then remortgage when that expires.

To the rest on here I would recommend that you speak to an Independent Mortgage Broker before you make a decision. Sure they will charge you a fee, if they are any good, but taking advise on rates and lenders from a mate down the pub is incredibility unlikely to ensure you end up with the best product.
  • Options
    @StanmoreAddick‌ is a good bet for advice. Here is his website:

http://www.davidcarnac.co.uk/
  • Options
    Dizzle said:

Going through it at the moment. We also wondered if we should ride out the bubble but decided that we risked never to be able to buy with the way prices are going up... We could pretty much see the prices increasing week by week.

Don't think anyone knows for sure, just don't over stretch and you should be OK, leave a comfortable gap between income and mortgage payments.
  • Options
    Ive developed a bit of a morbid fascination with Rightmove and Zoopla since we began looking at the start of the year and still check a few times a week even though we completed April 11th. Saw a 2 bed flat crouch end area taken off the market in Jan when it was on at £375k (no offer just decided they didnt want to sell as at the time I wanted to have a look) and has just gone back on for £465k asking. Absolutely mental.
  • Options
    I took out a five year fixed deal last year so just do the opposite to whatever I do if you want to be quids in...that always seems to be way it works with my finances anyway.

:-(
  • Options
    Most mortgages brokers can get a fee from the lender (apart from a few of the "direst " ones) so they shouldn't need to charge you anything. I have never charged a client a fee, even if the loan is only £150k, as the lender usually pays around 0.35 - 0.4% thus paying the broker £500 - £600.

I was speaking to an investment manager yesterday and their stance is that rates will start to go up this time next year but only very slowly and will rise no more than 2% over the next 3-5 years. As mentioned on here the differential between banks standard variable rates & the BOE base rate used to be around 2%, whereas now it is at least 3.5% and can be as much as 5%. This will be squeezed back down again once rates rise.

Certainly fixing your mortgage rate for 3-5 years at anything below 4% would seem sensible, although 2 year fixes just mean you will be looking to remortgage just as rates are increasing. tough one.

quite a few of my clients owe me big time when I managed to get them lifetime trackers at 0.39% above base back in 2007 - one even got. 0.1 below base !!!!