Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Streaming films

What's that all about then ? I'm sure you know the answers between you.

Comments

• Options
    it's when you "stream" video to your computer/device/console/tablet rather than download large files.
  • Options
    What are the best sites ? Cartoon HD now gone.
  • Options
    Showbox
  • Options
    project free tv is what i use when i cant find what i want on netflix
  • Options
    Flixanity.com
  • Options
    supaclive said:

I suggest (being in the industry) you choose legal streaming sites where you pay for content rather than stealing it....

Netflix
    Google Video
    PSN
    Amazon Prime
    Blinkbox

Are all good sites!

or the industry should cater to the consumers what they want, affordable and high quality films/tv shows, rather than having to pay £10 a ticket at a cinema in some trading estate accessable only by car or £40 a month tv subscription. All of these sites you mentioned are a start, but it needs the majors especially to do something about it. A product is only worth as much as the consumer is willing to pay for it...
  • Options
    I am working in Switzerland neither Amazon, Netflix not bbc work. Thank god for Curzon home video
  • Options
    supaclive said:

I suggest (being in the industry) you choose legal streaming sites where you pay for content rather than stealing it....

Netflix
    Google Video
    PSN
    Amazon Prime
    Blinkbox

Are all good sites!

Thanks for that, now where was we?
    I use a number of sites that run via XBMC
  • Options
    supaclive said:

Netflix
    Google Video
    PSN
    Amazon Prime
    Blinkbox

Are all good sites!

Sky Go/ Now tv has better movies than all of them. Combined.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I have just tried to watch something on couch tuner - it keeps asking me to download something... I am somewhat dubious about this!?
  • Options
    kimbo said:

I am working in Switzerland neither Amazon, Netflix not bbc work. Thank god for Curzon home video

You just need a decent VPN and that will fix it - though you will have to pay a small monthly amount.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

supaclive said:

Netflix
    Google Video
    PSN
    Amazon Prime
    Blinkbox

Are all good sites!

Sky excellent, naturally!
  • Options

supaclive said:

Netflix
    Google Video
    PSN
    Amazon Prime
    Blinkbox

Are all good sites!

Thanks for that, now where was we?
    I use a number of sites that run via XBMC
    I'll steal something from you and see you remain jovial
  • Options

supaclive said:

Netflix
    Google Video
    PSN
    Amazon Prime
    Blinkbox

Are all good sites!

or the industry should cater to the consumers what they want, affordable and high quality films/tv shows, rather than having to pay £10 a ticket at a cinema in some trading estate accessable only by car or £40 a month tv subscription. All of these sites you mentioned are a start, but it needs the majors especially to do something about it. A product is only worth as much as the consumer is willing to pay for it...
    I agree - the hold backs cinemas insist upon will naturally be their own deathknell.

Allowing the consumer to watch and enjoy films at the right time and at the right price, legally is the only way forward.
  • Options
    Solarmovie.eu is quality.
  • Options
    Or sky movies if your fussed. Both of them got me covered.
  • Options

I have just tried to watch something on couch tuner - it keeps asking me to download something... I am somewhat dubious about this!?

You don't need to download anything to watch coutch tuner, be careful you're clicking the text link that days something like 'watch xxx edpiode xxx'. When you first click a link to a show you get a screen with a big play symbol in it. Click that and you might get asked to download something, but the proper link is above that screen. Bit crafty i know but it is an illegal streaming site!

• Options
    supaclive said:

supaclive said:

Netflix
    Google Video
    PSN
    Amazon Prime
    Blinkbox

Are all good sites!

I agree - the hold backs cinemas insist upon will naturally be their own deathknell.

Allowing the consumer to watch and enjoy films at the right time and at the right price, legally is the only way forward.
    I know of at least one company who are trying to shorten the windows between theatrical and home ent, but the very second they screen a movie the cinemas will pull them from the screens, and the studios fear that too much (nuts given that the life cycle of a movie is far shorter than the theatres make out).

As for '£40 a month' - Now TV / Netflix are £5 a month each, and cover about 2-3k movies between them. The argument that the home ents offerings aren't up to snuff, therefore illegal streaming is the only way forward doesn't wash. The theatrical to subscription window is now about 9-10 months to Sky Movies/ NowTV.
  • Options
    supaclive said:

JiMMy 85 said:

supaclive said:

Netflix
    Google Video
    PSN
    Amazon Prime
    Blinkbox

Are all good sites!

Sky excellent, naturally!
    Not necessarily excellent (I don't watch too many on Sky Movies, mostly Sky Store, but I do think the delivery system is ideal for me) and I can't vouch for value for money - but there's no debate to be had over recency of titles. Sky have the best studio contracts with everyone except Lionsgate and E1. So Netflix get The Hobbit, The Hunger Games and The Expendables first. Sky get the rest first, by about 12 months. Until Amazon and Netflix break those deals up, they will always be playing second fiddle content-wise.

Whether or not Sky can compete delivery-wise largely depends on Ethan.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    supaclive said:

Netflix
    Google Video
    PSN
    Amazon Prime
    Blinkbox

Are all good sites!

With the Mrs being a scenic artist in tv, stage and many other areas, illegal streaming pisses me off as it drives down the pay she can get. Imagine any other trade being forces to take pay cuts because people want access to their work illegally for free.

It isn't on and those that illegally stream movies & tv shows are as bad as those providing the illegal service.
  • Options
    But you would watch Charlton streamed on the internet i bet?
  • Options

kimbo said:

You just need a decent VPN and that will fix it - though you will have to pay a small monthly amount.
    Not necessarily. Try Zenmate, a free VPN, first. Its doing a good job for me.
  • Options
    I have never watched a film streamed in my life but like @Robbo on the wing i'm surprised how some people are up in arms about streaming a film but wouldn't think twice about watching sports illegally online .
    I won't watch streamed films , not because of any moral reason but because i like to watch films on the big screen ( preferably at an independent cinema) or on Blue-ray. The Multiplexes are horrendously expensive and are unpleasant at the best of times and i can see why people choose other ways to view films.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

supaclive said:

Netflix
    Google Video
    PSN
    Amazon Prime
    Blinkbox

Are all good sites!

With the Mrs being a scenic artist in tv, stage and many other areas, illegal streaming pisses me off as it drives down the pay she can get. Imagine any other trade being forces to take pay cuts because people want access to their work illegally for free.

It isn't on and those that illegally stream movies & tv shows are as bad as those providing the illegal service.
    i find that if people can get things directly through their computer and only have to pay a small fee, they will most likely pay for it. you shouldn't be mad at those downloading, or those hosting. You should be mad at those that are distributing her work, as they're obviously not doing their work properly.

At an independent level i can understand it, but when the major studios come out and say that it affects their ability to pay people... i say, horseshit. The film industry is worth about $14 billion a year, the majors get most of that. If they can't spend that money correctly where a few hundred million (which is recovered in a blockbuster hit) is affecting their business it's there problem. They need to distribute their product properly. Piracy happens when people can't get what they want legally and at a price they feel is reasonable, so they steal it.

I'd also wonder how many future filmmakers that will make the industry countless billions will have spent much of their time watching illegal streams of movies? Probably all of them.
  • Options

Dazzler21 said:

supaclive said:

Netflix
    Google Video
    PSN
    Amazon Prime
    Blinkbox

Are all good sites!

The film industry is worth about $14 billion a year, the majors get most of that. If they can't spend that money correctly where a few hundred million (which is recovered in a blockbuster hit) is affecting their business it's there problem.
    That's a hornet's nest though, right? Officially, nearly every blockbuster loses money. 'Officially'.

I once saw a piece on MTV about illegal music streaming and how it's killing the music business. It was followed by MTV's Cribs.

• Options
    Agree with regards to pay @‌kentaddick

GDP of the entertainment industry is the same as banking in this country at 9%. This obviously includes film, I'm sure they'll be ok!

The prices at cinemas is unsustainable in my opinion and people will soon get tired of it. And many have. Until this is sorted then I'm afraid the industry will always be susceptible to piracy and illegal streaming.
  • Options

But you would watch Charlton streamed on the internet i bet?

Only if it's not on BBC sport, Sky or other channels you can get here. Then I'll go to a friends or relatives with a crate and watch it at there's and pay them beer.
  • Options
    *theirs
  • Options

Dazzler21 said:

supaclive said:

Netflix
    Google Video
    PSN
    Amazon Prime
    Blinkbox

Are all good sites!

i find that if people can get things directly through their computer and only have to pay a small fee, they will most likely pay for it. you shouldn't be mad at those downloading, or those hosting. You should be mad at those that are distributing her work, as they're obviously not doing their work properly.

At an independent level i can understand it, but when the major studios come out and say that it affects their ability to pay people... i say, horseshit. The film industry is worth about $14 billion a year, the majors get most of that. If they can't spend that money correctly where a few hundred million (which is recovered in a blockbuster hit) is affecting their business it's there problem. They need to distribute their product properly. Piracy happens when people can't get what they want legally and at a price they feel is reasonable, so they steal it.

I'd also wonder how many future filmmakers that will make the industry countless billions will have spent much of their time watching illegal streams of movies? Probably all of them.
    The whole argument against so-called piracy is a thinly veiled demand for price control and market manipulation by the record and movie companies. And the biggest irony of all is the research showing that those who download 'illegally' are also the biggest purchasers of music/movies. Set prices at the right level, and the 'illegal' market shrinks because most of us actually do want to enter into that most basic of transactions - to pay for something of value to us. The issue is that the record companies and filmmakers don't want competition, they want their cake and to eat it too.

For example, the idea that every download represents lost revenue to these industries is simply fanciful and ignores the simplest law of economics. In other words, it imagines that people are just as likely to buy a product at, say, £7.99 than they would be if it was available for nothing. Er, right, ok.

Of course it's all just an extension of what we used to do before downloads ever became available. Then we used to tape records and share them amongst our friends, or tape from the radio. We used to put mix tapes together and give them as gifts. Home taping of films was opposed by the filmmakers because, apparently, it cost them millions. They spent every penny and more of their missing revenues telling us so before we watched a film at the rapidly dying out cinemas.

Just a little bit of imagination and simple economics would make them a fortune. When I first started work, I took my hard-earned, headed down to the record shop and bought albums week in week out. I still do (albeit not usually at the record shop). That immersion has led to me purchasing countless albums spending thousands no doubt over the years. Had albums been double the price I was prepared to pay I would have visited the music shop less and ultimately would probably not have developed the habit.

As it happens, streaming is overtaking the downloads market anyway - which creates a subscription revenue stream that will no doubt outstrip the revenue and margin opportunity in any previous business model for these industries.