Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tennis Elbow

Never had it before, pain on the outside of the joint, doing my head in. Any suggestions / recommendations to get it fixed gratefully received. Got 3 weeks then supposed to be on a golf weekend.

Comments

• Options
    Good job it's not a tennis weekend :-0 Go and see the quack PDQ.
  • Options
    My doctor said to stregthen the forearm, simply by clenching your fist.

Mine is caused by heavy lifting, with a straight arm, so if I carry anything, I try to keep my arm bent.

I also find it's aggravated by say pulling out strong weeds etc.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    I thought I had tennis elbow too so went to the Docs, told it was actually golfers elbow (apparently they effect different sides of the elbow) cant remember which side bothered me, she recommended a strapping and pain relieving gel I believe, so its worth going to the docs. Ok after a few days.
  • Options
    Resistance bands helped mine, worth trying
  • Options
    You can get a brace that strengthens the affected bit of the joint. Or get a cortisone injection but that just masks the pain. Ironically I got it years after not playing tennis but weeks before moving somewhere where I was going to start playing again. Frustratingly, I couldn't start playing again for about a year
  • Options
    Rest mate. I got badminton elbow a few years ago in my youth (same thing, just playing badminton). I was trying to hit it too hard and straining. Anti inflammatory spray/rub and a couple of weeks off did the trick although I got occasional recurrences. You have just got to remove the cause and it cures itself. Rest up and enjoy the golf.
  • Options
    Currently have the same thing-lasted 4 weeks so far-tried exercise but has made it worse-someone clipped my elbow today and I nearly lept in the air-hurts like hell-best advice as above 'Rest'! Tendons heal differently to muscle so it could take a month maybe longer but hope it goes soon.
  • Options
    Cheers for the advice, rest it is, more time in the bar
  • Options
    It's really important to find out quickly what activity is causing it, and then get the best advice for tackling it. The thing is that once it takes hold it can be difficult to get rid of. I won't scare you by telling you how long I suffered from it, but I would strongly recommend to talk to a good physiotherapist. There are no easy fixes.

In my case it was caused by overuse of a laptop without sensible breaks, and general bad posture.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Had it for 6 months now. Some good days, some where it really is a pain (in the elbow). Been doing loads of driving lately which hasn't helped it. Doc offered cortisone but turned it down as he didn't rate it's long term effects at all.

Press ups tend to help and ironically, it hasn't really effected the golf (although I was always crap!).

Just accepted it will always be there now. PS: ease off on the old five finger shuffle, that will help!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I have had golf elbow for last 12 years. Same as tennis elbow but on inside of elbow. Avoiding repetitive movements and regular use of ice packs is the only thing I have found that helps. Never played golf though.
  • Options
    Get yourself an elbow strap/tourniquet to wear just below the elbow, it helps reduce the blood flow from the small tear which is what's causing the pain.
  • Options
    Cheers all, with regard to the five finger shuffle, I'm married so it's that or nothing......
  • Options
    I had a bad case of badminton forearm a couple of months ago, quite painful but not as bad as cricket calf. Mind you no injury is as near as painful as boxing face
  • Options
    Knowing you, it's probably just a twinge but my advice would be: lose some weight, stop w*nking and don't worry about the golf, a hurty arm won't make you much worse anyway.
  • Options
    I had this when playing golf in very dry conditions, what pain. My physio recommended a strap that went round the forearm (called it a tennis elbow strap) whilst playing and relieved the agony. Wore it for about 6/9 months and it was OK from then one
  • Options
    I had it a few years ago went to my GP and he injected cortisone there and then and cured it immediately.
  • Options
    I do sympathise LBT, I suffered with both tennis & golf elbows & the only way I got rid of them was by having Cortisone injections.
  • Options

It's really important to find out quickly what activity is causing it, and then get the best advice for tackling it. The thing is that once it takes hold it can be difficult to get rid of. I won't scare you by telling you how long I suffered from it, but I would strongly recommend to talk to a good physiotherapist. There are no easy fixes.

In my case it was caused by overuse of a laptop without sensible breaks, and general bad posture.

Agree can take an age to get rid of. I sufferered for around six months after staining our garden fence, this was after the summer of 2011. I still get a bit of pain (currently on the out-side of my left elbow), rest, mild exercise and ice do help. A friend of mine...female in her mid-40's) had it so bad that she requierd surgery on both elbows, though I understand that only approximately 10% of cases need surgery.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I had this when playing golf in very dry conditions, what pain. My physio recommended a strap that went round the forearm (called it a tennis elbow strap) whilst playing and relieved the agony. Wore it for about 6/9 months and it was OK from then one

I've got one of those, definately worth wearing when doing any work/sport.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Mine's only just started to feel better after about eight months. Could barely raise my left arm. In fact, I was in danger of turning into a Tommy Cooper joke.

Only noticed a week ago that it doesn't hurt any more. Mine started, I kid you not, when our pet tortoise, which we'd left out on the lawn, had done a runner into a bush. I was hacking at the bush with a stick to get him, which caused the tennis elbow. Then the ungrateful bastard started hissing at me.

• Options
    Oh I didn't mention it before but the recent problem I have now (outer left elbow) started a couple of weeks ago after digging (relatively hard ground) at our allotment. I'll give it a week or so and then if things haven't improved I'll make an appointment with the doc's, though the last time I went with the same problem he just said take pain killers, use a strap, rest, ice and do some mild exercises. I'll mention what you said Dippenhall (cortisone injection).
  • Options
    Thanks all, looks like golf is out for a bit
  • Options
    I have just been to a physio as cant move arm in certain ways, and have been diagnosed with a frozen shoulder... how long till this is fixed any of you previous sufferers??
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

I have just been to a physio as cant move arm in certain ways, and have been diagnosed with a frozen shoulder... how long till this is fixed any of you previous sufferers??

Wahey lads, we can say what we like without fear of being caught in a headlock
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Curb_It said:

I'm afraid that when my mum had one, it lasted at least 6 months.

I think I had a minor one recently, as I couldn't wash my back like usual. That lasted months, but there was no pain.
  • Options
    At least it's not golf balls.
  • Options

Curb_It said:

I'm afraid that when my mum had one, it lasted at least 6 months.

I think I had a minor one recently, as I couldn't wash my back like usual. That lasted months, but there was no pain.
    No pain just restricted movement. have had it months just not realised what the official term was so hopefully can fix it quickly.