Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Quality From Phil Neville

Credit where its due,

He said talking about social media.......

'Yeah I loved social Media until about 24hrs ago'

Well done, although you were fckin awful mate

Comments

• Options
    Good lad.
  • Options

Good lad.

Agreed. Gracious and likeable. Why do people get so upset when professional footballers turn out not to be so good at broadcasting work? After all, they would probably be no better, if they were suddenly asked to entertain the nation.

• Options
    Probably because we expect a high level of professionalism from the BBC
  • Options
    edited June 2014

Good lad.

Agreed. Gracious and likeable. Why do people get so upset when professional footballers turn out not to be so good at broadcasting work? After all, they would probably be no better, if they were suddenly asked to entertain the nation.

You may be right PA but no Average Joe would be given a chance now unless they'd proved themselves competent. Are you old enough to recall, as I do, the 1969 BBC Find A Commentator competition, to find a commentator for the 1970 WC?
    A bunch of anonymous hopefuls (including, as we later found out, Ian St John, who was brilliant but lost) gave commentaries on part of a game and then the (supposedly) best was chosen - I think by viewer choice but it may have been by a panel (I was only 8). It was won by some Welsh geezer called Idwal Robling who also beat Gerry Harrison (later to work for for ITV). Robling was shite actually but, nonetheless, at least he had to go thru some kind of qualification to get the chance.
    Phil "Interesting" Neville was so bad I reckon the average Lifer (excluding Henry and Abs of course) actually would have been more intelligible and more entertaining, if less "expert".
  • Options
    On the strength of tonight's performance from Robbie Savage, I'd take Townsend, Owen and Neville together over him. Absolutely execrable.
  • Options

On the strength of tonight's performance from Robbie Savage, I'd take Townsend, Owen and Neville together over him. Absolutely execrable.

I didn't think Neville was that bad, not the most exciting, but nowhere as near as dull as Owen. Savage was painful.
  • Options
    That was painful from savage , he was trying to slate mistakes by being so over the top it was ridiculous ,
    it was a look at me how I don't sit on the fence and I'm controversial like approach but he got it so wrong he took it to new levels on the cockometer
  • Options
    People expect more when he being paid a load of dosh to do it. Also I think people expected more after Gary Neville and Jamie Carragher had proved successful. The only thing in Neville's defence is he is boring but not painful like lawrenson
  • Options
    I thought what Neville said was good but the way he said it was awful, but it was his first time so I hope he improves for the next match.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rylan Clark was rubbish at first but now he is a legend on Big brother - give Phil a chance!
  • Options
    The BBC shouldn't have chucked him in for his debut against Italy. He'll be better next time around as he clearly knows his football. I think Rio is turning out to be the surprise of the summer. Talks a lot of sense. Henry sits on the fence too much.
  • Options

Good lad.

You may be right PA but no Average Joe would be given a chance now unless they'd proved themselves competent. Are you old enough to recall, as I do, the 1969 BBC Find A Commentator competition, to find a commentator for the 1970 WC?
    A bunch of anonymous hopefuls (including, as we later found out, Ian St John, who was brilliant but lost) gave commentaries on part of a game and then the (supposedly) best was chosen - I think by viewer choice but it may have been by a panel (I was only 8). It was won by some Welsh geezer called Idwal Robling who also beat Gerry Harrison (later to work for for ITV). Robling was shite actually but, nonetheless, at least he had to go thru some kind of qualification to get the chance.
    Phil "Interesting" Neville was so bad I reckon the average Lifer (excluding Henry and Abs of course) actually would have been more intelligible and more entertaining, if less "expert".
    Yes I do remember that competition, although congratulations for remembering the detail of it. I have to confess also that I didn't actually hear PN's offending co-commentary (my satellite link wasn't working and I had the Czech commentary). I think that probably the BBC is at fault for not training him up better. Thought he was fine last night in the discussion, and agree about Savage. I also think that Henry and Seedorf are both great, people who command your careful attention.

Actually you should witness the Czech presentation. You would not even have to speak the language to appreciate how dismally wooden the whole presentation is., both in studio and in commentary. Even ITV looks sparkling compared with that.
  • Options
    Yeap, fair play to Neville for taking the flak so well. Suspect he'll up his game.
  • Options
    Savage is very good on 606 when it comes to putting his opinion across. Struggles a bit more on commentary.

Saturday night was Phil Neville's first major braodcast gig, not sure why they put him in at the deep end really.
  • Options

I loved the way he was having a go at Klinsmann who was trying to get Ghana's John Boye (great name btw!) sent off last night. This, the same Robbie Savage, who feinged injury in the 1999 League Cup Final to get Justin Edinburgh sent off. Absolute cockwomble.

• Options
    I think Savage is good tv
  • Options
    Thrown in at the deep end but maybe it was a decision between new boy Neville and Lawro...
  • Options
    When Lineker and Barnes both started they were both awful. Lineker workes at it ans ia the best anchor man for football around. Barnes is still crap though. Hope for neville yet
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sorry - Ian Holloway or Neil Warnock would be best
  • Options
    I assume people have heard of this futuristic new invention in TV technology.

The volume button. You don't have to have the commentary on!

I had a go at commentating on a game when I was doing some work over at Sky Sports in an editing booth. It was bloody hard work - and that wasnt live in front of 15m people.