Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

alexi smertin

can't remember the reason he left us, i think, midway through the season but remember thinking what a good signing for us. could have been one of the best if he'd stayed?

Comments

• Options
    he was on loan and whilst he was on loan Chelski sold him
  • Options
    He said that we lacked ambition.
  • Options
    C_A_F_C said:

He said that we lacked ambition.

He was building up to the heights of playing for Fulham and losing his place to Danny Murphy

• Options
    C_A_F_C said:

He said that we lacked ambition money.

• Options
    Murphy kish and smert were a decent midfield until it all came crashinh down
  • Options
    He was missing Siberia and wanted to go back.
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

More than decent, I reckon one of the best midfields we have had in years.
  • Options

Kap10 said:

It also coincided with Rommadahl's best spell as an Addick.

• Options
    opening day win at Sunderland very very good
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2014
    Kap10 said:

At this point this was down to Curbs 1) losing interest/believing his own hype (England job etc) and 2) very poor man-management, I'm afraid.

With a manager that played to that squad's strength, we could have had our best ever finish imo. That midfield with Rommedahl and Bent should not have been ordered to play 10-man defend after our first handful of great wins (especially taking into account the football we played in those early games).

A real waste.
  • Options

Kap10 said:

Remember going to Pompey when we won 2-1. Think they were the midfield that day though could be wrong. It was a very good 2nd half performance.
  • Options
    Seem to remember we were a bit one dimensional and by november december (praps later) teams had worked out our game?
  • Options
    That was a great midfield.

Rommedahl (who was looking a real player that season), Murphy, Kish (holding), Smertin, Ambrose (who was also looking good).
  • Options
    That was the year we won our first 6 on the bounce wasn't it?

Smertin was a good player. The fact he turned up at Fulham 6 months after leaving us though means he is a massive toss pot. Was not happy.
  • Options
    That midfield was the reason for Darren Bent scoring as many goals as he did.
  • Options
    did we win our first 5 away games that year?
  • Options
    jac52 said:

That was the year we won our first 6 on the bounce wasn't it?

Smertin was a good player. The fact he turned up at Fulham 6 months after leaving us though means he is a massive toss pot. Was not happy.

We won our first 5 away games, but we were playing the best football I've ever seen at Charlton during that run. The first half at West Brom was unbelievable - unfortunately it all started going wrong when we were 2-0 up and started showboating, we won the game if memory serves but we were nowhere in the second half and we never reached the same levels again.

Didn't it all go wrong for Murphy when he took his 'Christmas card' against Liverpool was it?
  • Options
    We had a fantastic midfield at that time with Smertin. I thought we looked really good, but it didn't seem to last long. Smertin went off to Russia (cos he was missing the cold or something) if I recall correctly and Murphy went off the boil when he didn't get picked for England.
  • Options
    Saw all 5 away wins either live or on tv:

Sunderland 3-1
    Middlesborough 3-0
    Brum 1-0
    West Brom 2-1 ("It's just like watching Brazil" sung with genuine gusto in first half)
    Pompey 2-1

All went wrong when we played defensive at the next away game and lost 1-0 at Villa due to an Andersson cock up. Curbs inexplicably dropped Murphy that day and he was never the same again culminating in the worst performance ever seen from him at Wigan away (0-3) before he got sent off against Liverpool or Arsenal at Xmas time.

That was the best football I have ever seen a Charlton team play in my 46 years of watching, especially the 1-0 massacre of Wigan and unbelievable 3-2 defeat at home to Spurs when coasting at 2-0 before a freak Sol Campbell goal changed the course of the game. Darren Bent was on fire at the time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I remember this was the time I left for Canada - we had won 6 out of 7 & thinking oh b*llocks, am leaving just as we start to get really good........
  • Options

Saw all 5 away wins either live or on tv:

Sunderland 3-1
    Middlesborough 3-0
    Brum 1-0
    West Brom 2-1 ("It's just like watching Brazil" sung with genuine gusto in first half)
    Pompey 2-1

All went wrong when we played defensive at the next away game and lost 1-0 at Villa due to an Andersson cock up. Curbs inexplicably dropped Murphy that day and he was never the same again culminating in the worst performance ever seen from him at Wigan away (0-3) before he got sent off against Liverpool or Arsenal at Xmas time.

That was the best football I have ever seen a Charlton team play in my 46 years of watching, especially the 1-0 massacre of Wigan and unbelievable 3-2 defeat at home to Spurs when coasting at 2-0 before a freak Sol Campbell goal changed the course of the game. Darren Bent was on fire at the time.

It wasn't inexplicable - Murphy was poor at Pompey and gave up when he didn't get the England call.