Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

So what is the solution?

13»

Comments

• Wiltshire is not the solution . Injury prone ,limited ability and speaking from experience ( as he us from 10 minutes down the road from me ) he is an absolute arse.
  • There is an issue about tactical awareness - from a young age our kids are given instructions and berated if they don't follow them because we want to win games and cup at age groups as low as 7. But they then lack the ability to think for themselves to a degree which follows them as they get older. This isn't such a factor when they play next to players who are good at adapting and thinking in games, but becomes more marked when they do not.
  • I wouldn't be surprised if the midfield partnership in four year's time is formed of players who are not in this squad!
  • a win might be better for the youth, perhaps thats what he's after?
  • Roy keeps contradicting himself.
    "I'm picking a fresh youthful squad. No room for John Terry"
    but he takes Lampard and Gerrard? Out of the three and seeing how poor our defensive unit was,terry may have been the best choice.

"Our preparation has been first class"
    But our attempts at corners and set plays were woeful.

In four years time we really will have a doddery old manager on our hands.
  • I think Hodgson has had a fair crack - two tournaments. MAybe right not to sack him now - but if a suitable replacement shows himself, we shouldn't delay!
  • Keeping on Gerrard is a huge mistake. He's 34 now and doesn't have the legs for International football in the formation that Hodgson likes to play.

What's the point playing him in the qualification games when he probably won't be at the Euros? Build a new central midfield instead in those games.
  • There is a point if he will help us to qualify. The question Hodgson has to decide is whether he will help or not. If he is doing the business for Liverpool, I assume Roy will take that into account as he should. We do have to look to the future - but maybe there is a place for a bit of both! With hindsight Cole and Terry would probably have been enough to get England through their group!
  • Interesting statistics from Sky Sports:

• Be interesting to see how that compares to Spain or Germanys U21's
  • Sponsored links:

• Lampard in the final game definitely isn't the solution. It's the opportunity to play young players to get World Cup experience under their belts and Woy is going to be playing a bunch of old boys. Joke. It should be:

Hart
    Johnson
    Cahill
    Jones
    Shaw

Henderson
    Wilshere

Sturridge
    Lallana
    Sterling

Rooney
  • Roy is saying thank you to players who haven't had a game and is wasting an opportunity to blood players - although a lot will get a game by default!
  • To be fair to Roy he did say in an interview on TV that he wanted to give the rest of the squad that hadn't featured in the first two games a run out to say they at least played a game at the world cup finals, then look to change things after this game. It is obviously just a sentimental send off for both Lamps & Gerrard and one I personally think they deserve for their servvice over the years
  • edited June 2014
    I think it will be

Forster
    Jones
    Cahill
    Smalling
    Shaw

Henderson or Barkley
    Lampard
    Milner
    Lallana or Ox if he's fit

Lambert
    Rooney/Studge

Gerrard will come on as a sub so will Ben Foster
  • I reckon of that lot, Cahill, Shaw, Barkley, Lallana, Chamberlain and Rooney will be at the next world cup. I hope Cahill comes off that list and we might have a better side.
  • Cahill is our best defender though...
  • I know - at the moment
  • Chris Waddle bang on the money again last night.
  • I think the point made in The Times piece is bang on the money.

I had a chat to an Italian friend of mine who lives for football and has lived in the UK for 10 years and I asked him the main difference between the English and Italian mentality towards football.

"In England you play totally with the heart, in Italy we play much more in the head."

Hard to disagree with that and whilst our passion-fuelled "Up and at 'em" approach is great to watch it has strict limitations.
  • its the premiership, simples.

showcase and breeding ground for the best in the world, to the detriment of the national team.

If you listen during an England game to any fans of the Sky 4 or 5 you will hear them slagging off their rivals players, it is all about the Sky 4 or 5, the national team is an afterthought to them and their clubs. nothing will change until Sky/BT's market falls on its arse. We have seen examples of teams buying rubbish foreign players to increase their exposure to Asian markets, what does that say about their commitment to English players and the national side. Most are not even owned or managed/coached by English, so why should they give a f**k, so I don't blame them, I blame the dollar chasers at PL and the FA, you cannot have both.

Is it a strong national side, based on an English league, or a weak national side based on an international league? they cannot have both, the Germans realised that about 10 years ago and did something about it.

It is not rocket science.
  • Sponsored links:

• I think the point made in The Times piece is bang on the money.

I had a chat to an Italian friend of mine who lives for football and has lived in the UK for 10 years and I asked him the main difference between the English and Italian mentality towards football.

"In England you play totally with the heart, in Italy we play much more in the head."

Hard to disagree with that and whilst our passion-fuelled "Up and at 'em" approach is great to watch it has strict limitations.

Thing is when it comes to a world cup we lose the "Up and at 'em" approach from our game somewhat.

These players from the age of 8 are taught to be quick in possession, physical and strong in the tackle. Its what the premier league is all about and why its so good to watch, and why some foreign players can't handle it.

Then we get to a major tournament and we try to play the continental way. We can't do it.

Teams like Costa Rica and Algeria played their first two group games at this fast hard working pace to make-up the difference in quality. Its getting to the stage with England, where if we can't produce the quality, we have to be honest and go back to what we know best.
  • but it is difficult to play a pressing game in the heat and humidity!
  • but it is difficult to play a pressing game in the heat and humidity!

I understand that Costa Rica and Algeria come from hotter climates but a lot of their players play in England and across Europe.
  • You couldn't deny those that travelled their moment in their carers that may never come back

And to allow frank to captain the side in Brazil is a great gesture to a terrific servant

The problem is that English players are over rated called world class due to the prem and their sponsors

It's such a repetitive response but the standard of coaching in this country is shit at grass roots level due to it being over priced and restrictive

There are not enough charter standard clubs doing the right thing

League Clubs that take kids from their sat/Sunday teams at such a young age and start the process of elite thoughts don't help especially when they treat the kids terribly when they realise that at 7 to 10 they are above their peers at that age but do not have it really, and most coaches or mgrs of their local clubs know who really does have a real chance due to home life, parent guidance and support plus ability

Football is being ruined by this and until that is fixed forget the over hyped over rewarded few

We will qualify for the euros as the group is so shit but be prepared for more humiliating time
    Ahead
  • edited June 2014

You couldn't deny those that travelled their moment in their carers that may never come back

And to allow frank to captain the side in Brazil is a great gesture to a terrific servant

The problem is that English players are over rated called world class due to the prem and their sponsors

It's such a repetitive response but the standard of coaching in this country is shit at grass roots level due to it being over priced and restrictive

There are not enough charter standard clubs doing the right thing

League Clubs that take kids from their sat/Sunday teams at such a young age and start the process of elite thoughts don't help especially when they treat the kids terribly when they realise that at 7 to 10 they are above their peers at that age but do not have it really, and most coaches or mgrs of their local clubs know who really does have a real chance due to home life, parent guidance and support plus ability

Football is being ruined by this and until that is fixed forget the over hyped over rewarded few

We will qualify for the euros as the group is so shit but be prepared for more humiliating time
    Ahead

I couldn't agree more with this. I think the issue is twofold though. Yes, we need to make changes to grass roots football, but in the meantime we need to maximise the playing style of what we have to gain most success. Unfortunately, due to our lack of ability we need this to be a defensive approach. Hodgson has seen this to a degree but opted for an attacking one. It is refreshing in many ways but we only scored 2 goals and conceded four poor ones!

Our chances of doing well in a tournament will always be on the low side, but if I was England manager, I would be looking for my spoilers. They would be players I could put on opponent's class players to negate them - So Pirlo and Suarez would have had shadows in the first two games. It is an admission that you are not good enough to go toe to toe but increases your chances of success until you have a team that can go toe to toe - which is a long way off.

I'd look for a manager that understands this and try appointing one that wasn't a club manager - maybe an intelligent ex international! But have a couple of helpers who can challenge his views and decisions in a friendly and constructive way.

• Danny is quite astute and intelligent although he is also a journeyman cheat. Much as it pains me to say it, his views are worth listening to.
  • "Why English clubs shop abroad: Newcastle have just signed a 25-year-old former Ajax captain for less than Hull paid for Robert Snodgrass."