Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Which England International players was Redknap talking about?

Curious to hear what players Redknap intimated would gladly avoid being called up for England? I can only think of Peter Crouch and Scott Parker as the England internationals at Spurs during Redknap's reign 2008-2012.

Comments

• Options
    Jermain Defoe?
  • Options
    Jenas & Dawson was there under Redknapp as well wasn't they?

Cant imagine it being Defoe.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Michael Dawson? Tom Huddlestone? Kyle Walker? Aaron Lennon?

Witch hunt time.
  • Options
    Aaron Lennon
  • Options
    Townsend?
  • Options
    Good that Hodgson has called him out on it, asking him to name them. Of course he won't.
  • Options
    very strong words from Stevie G

“Should Harry not name them? If it’s the case, it’s disgusting. For me, if a player doesn’t want to be [with England], he doesn’t deserve to be here at a World Cup. The comment is a comment, like ‘them’. ‘They’ didn’t want to play for England. Who? Name them. Is it Aaron Lennon, Kyle Walker, Andros Townsend? I don’t know who he means. Five years ago? Ten years ago?”
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Bentley
    Lennon
    Jenas
    Crouch
    Defoe
    Walker
    King
    Dawson
    Woodgate
    Townsend
    Huddlestone
    Parker
  • Options
    Good old Stevie. First onto the witch hunt. Maybe he can smell a scapegoat.
  • Options
    Redknapp is loving this. I dislike the bloke.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Townsend?

Obika?
    Munns?
  • Options
    Would guess its Spurs players who were on the fringes, and needed an "injury" to avoid a midweek trip to Eastern Europe, for no game-time.

I'm sure there have been/are quite a few of them at all Premier League clubs.

Rather than players who were regularly playing for their country
  • Options
    I'm guessing one of the ones that leaked Hodgson's "feed the monkey" story...
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Bentley has previous, but then again I don't think he was ever in contention for the first team while Redknapp was in charge of Spurs.

Good on Gerrard for tackling it head on though. Nothing to do with trying to deflect attention away from this World Cup, its about restoring some pride in playing for your country and showing up the tossers who didn't want to when the chance was theirs.

And I don't believe for one minute that Scott Parker would have turned his back on playing for England.
  • Options
    edited June 2014

Bentley
    Lennon
    Jenas
    Crouch
    Defoe
    Walker
    King
    Dawson
    Woodgate

Townsend
    Huddlestone
    Parker

All 3 of these are good shouts, in a squad with Terry and Ferdinand none would of been first choice starters, all player under Harry at Spurs I believe
  • Options
    Lennon is a good shout. He's hardly featured for England for years now.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Gerrard should ask Redknapp's accountant. He runs his life for him.

I have allegedly seen a list of the players that the ex tottenham manager is referring to. Poor bloke did admit to police he writes like a 2 year old and can't spell so bear with him.

Deffo
    Parky
    Lenin
    Keng
    Croch
    Jeans
  • Options
    Redknapp Sr. needs to put up, or shut up. Give us names you twitchy face hypocrite or keep your gob shut. Saying naming names would be unfair is two faced when you know that giving no names will just lead to speculation - and there will be players who would have been castrated for a chance to play for their country will have their character questioned by morons in the press. Gerrard hasn't impressed as a captain on the pitch but he's absolutely right to call out the twat on these comments.

Disclaimer: I fucking hate Harry fucking Redknapp.
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure Gerrard has missed a few England games through injury only to miraculously recover 3 days later to start for Liverpool...
  • Options
    thenewbie said:

Redknapp Sr. needs to put up, or shut up. Give us names you twitchy face hypocrite or keep your gob shut. Saying naming names would be unfair is two faced when you know that giving no names will just lead to speculation - and there will be players who would have been castrated for a chance to play for their country will have their character questioned by morons in the press. Gerrard hasn't impressed as a captain on the pitch but he's absolutely right to call out the twat on these comments.

I detest him too, wouldn't want him anywhere near us.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Redknapp should never have said anything unless he planned to name names, as all that will happen now is fans will decide for themselves who it is based on who they personally dislike or have decided does not show enough passion in their opinion.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    ask Rednaps dog

or better still ask Billy Bonds to go round Arry`s and ask him
  • Options

I'm pretty sure Gerrard has missed a few England games through injury only to miraculously recover 3 days later to start for Liverpool...

Or discussing music selection with a club DJ...

• Options

thenewbie said:

I detest him too, wouldn't want him anywhere near us.

I would be content to just avoid the prick but the media are up his arse and pushing him as some sort of football genius when I can't think of a single more overrated manager in the business. He has one solution to any problem: chuck money at it (while skimming a bit into his dodgy if not illegal accounts.) That is it. No real tactical prowess, not a particularly good motivator, he never got the Spurs team any higher than they should have been given their quality, and taken a whole bunch of teams down. And don't get me started on the clusterfuck of QPR...
  • Options
    I'm reading this with interest.

I cannot believe for one second that Michael Dawson would tell Harry that he didnt want to play for England. He's like a kid a in a sweet shop every time he puts on a Spurs jersey and I can imagine in jumping around at the thought of playing for England. Absolutely the same for Ledley, he would have given his only one knee to play for England more than he did. You only have to have read his autobiography to know that. I cant imagine Defoe, Crouch, Parker or Walker being in that boat either.

The others were only ever on the fringes. Lennon, Jenas, Bentley and Huddlestone. Huddlestone was hardly playing for Spurs was he, so was he going to say no to playing for England?

Old saggy chops needs to put up or shut up.

Cant in a million years think it would be either Dawson or King though.
  • Options
    I don't think it's anything new for players to not fancy going to some eastern European country to play a meaningless friendly.

How many times have we seen a player pull out of an England squad for a midweek friendly with an 'injury' & then make a miraculous recovery in time to then play for their club at the weekend. It's been going on for years.

Personally, I just think it's that media darling redknapp trying to stir some shit. Hard to believe I know!!
  • Options
    Can't be Ledley - he was permanently fucked and hardly 'needed' and 'excuse'

Typical Redknapp. Attention-seeking, press-courting quote merchant chucking his mates on Fleet Street a bone. Must have a book to sell/court case coming up/eyes on another job.

I can't believe people still fall for his shtick.
  • Options
    I bow to no Cl'er in my level of contempt for Redknapp. However I am sure that in this case he is telling the truth, and it's a pity it is him saying it.

this is exactly what happens when you fail to have the national team as the apex of your national football structure. It was what the football analyst (and Spurs fan) Alex Fynn told the FA 24 years ago when they hired him as a consultant and then ignored everything he said.

Did you all really believe Gerrard's speech about the 'long awful summer' if they lost. Really?