Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

will jacko get captaincy / automatic spot this year?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Jackson is our captain, all day long.
  • Options
    One way of keeping JJ in the team, and keeping younger players as well if we play 4-3-3. Poyet's strength is his defending, so why not put him along side Morrison, defenders are not the big lumps of years ago, they need to be able to defend, quick and able to bring the ball out of defence and start an attack. If he signs a new contract then what about this for a team:
    Pope
    Solly/Morrison/Poyet/Wiggins
    Cousins/Buyens/JJ
    Wilson/Vetokele/Harriot
    If as rumoured we are getting an experienced goalkeeper and right winger, they can replace Pope and Wilson.
    It will still leave us with an inexperienced bench, including Pope, Nego, Lennon, Fox, Cumberbatch, Osborne, Pigott, PP, Sho-Silva, Ansah, plus Wilson, Reza, Church.
    This might be the sort of bench RD is looking for
  • Options
    ross1 said:

One way of keeping JJ in the team, and keeping younger players as well if we play 4-3-3. Poyet's strength is his defending, so why not put him along side Morrison, defenders are not the big lumps of years ago, they need to be able to defend, quick and able to bring the ball out of defence and start an attack. If he signs a new contract then what about this for a team:
    Pope
    Cousins/Buyens/JJ
    Wilson/Vetokele/Harriot
    If as rumoured we are getting an experienced goalkeeper and right winger, they can replace Pope and Wilson.
    It will still leave us with an inexperienced bench, including Pope, Nego, Lennon, Fox, Cumberbatch, Osborne, Pigott, PP, Sho-Silva, Ansah, plus Wilson, Reza, Church.

Poyet at the back? please tell me you are on a massive wind up
  • Options
    ross1 said:

Pope
    Cousins/Buyens/JJ
    Wilson/Vetokele/Harriot

Poyet as a centre back?!?!

To be fair he is academy so he could score 5 own goals in the centre back position and people would still go crazy for him!

Poyet is playing in the perfect role as an anchor in central defensive midfield at the moment.
  • Options

ross1 said:

Pope
    Cousins/Buyens/JJ
    Wilson/Vetokele/Harriot

Poyet at the back? please tell me you are on a massive wind up
    Getting him ready to replace Javier Mascherano at Barca in a year or two :)
  • Options
    I actually thought Jackson's performances really improved towards the end of last season
  • Options
    We do not have to worry about where Poyet will be playing now
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Jackson played a deep lying holding role towards the end of last season. And it suited him. As CMs go past 30 and if they didn't have much pace anyway, it happens a lot.
  • Options
    Perhaps JJ will be like Gerrard, staying back and spraying passes all round the pitch
  • Options

The job of a Captain isnt just a black and white armband thats worn on the matchday... Its a figure head for the players, someone they can go to when they either dont want to trouble the Manager or when the Manager wont listen to them.

When Chris Powell was sacked and Jose Riga came in the same day it was Jackson who gathered the players round and told them that they needed to put their feelings to one side, that relegation wasnt an option, that it would forever be a stain on their careers and that they needed to ensure it didnt happen.

Besides all that the Captain needs to know what the Football Club means to the fans.. who can tell the new players what it means etc...

If someone can name a player who can do that better (and come up with important moments like the QPR goal) then yes that person should be Captain but there wont be

I know Jackson doesnt need to be a Captain to do that but it'll be easier giving him the armband else it'll be like Prince Charles coming in to run the country whilst Elizabeth is still Queen... just wouldnt be right

As a Captain (as opposed to being a player) he's right up there with the very best we've had in recent years, a great ambassador for the club, and leader on the pitch
    I've been going to Charlton since 1994 and in terms of Captains that I've seen at the club in terms of their leadership I'd have to put him at Number One...

Mark Kinsella was great and led us to Division One and Play-Off glory and I'll give him the award of best captain in terms of skill but Jacko is better with Man Management
    How do you know he is better with Man Management?