Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

More thoughts from Belgian journo, Douglas de Coninck (Ed. positive on Vetokele too!)

Well worth a read, as some of it may cheer you up after the Poyet news. Especially what he has to say about Buyens.

Comments

• That is positive, thanks Prague.
  • i'm looking forward to the joy
  • Seems to me from what Douglas has said that Buyens is more of a Jacko type player, and so Cousins could take over Poyet's role (and I think he would do it very well.)
  • "On Reza
    Have you seen Reza’s performance against Argentina? Couldn’t believe what I saw. He never played like that at Standard de Liège."

Being totally honest here, it's the same for Charlton. The Reza in the World Cup looks a different player to the one we have. Outmuscling the likes of Fernandez, Garay, then being outmuscled by players from Barnsley and co.

Let's hope we see the one that plays for Iran.

• Seems to me from what Douglas has said that Buyens is more of a Jacko type player, and so Cousins could take over Poyet's role (and I think he would do it very well.)

I agree, lest we forget while Poyet was very impressive last season, Cousins made the big breakthrough as well and looked very good in his own right. Poyet leaving is a blow but if we can keep hold of Jordan for another season or two we'll have one heck of a player on our hands. Bob is meant to be good at bringing on younger players' development, I hope this is true and we'll see Cousins adding a few more assists and goals to his impressive physical attributes.
  • I hope Buyens is better than Chadli!
  • if cousins has worked on his shooting, then we will definitely have a strong midfield even without poyet.
  • Good to hear this from someone on the ground. Sounds promising
  • Thanks for posting this Prague Addick, an interesting read.
  • thenewbie said:

Seems to me from what Douglas has said that Buyens is more of a Jacko type player, and so Cousins could take over Poyet's role (and I think he would do it very well.)

I agree, lest we forget while Poyet was very impressive last season, Cousins made the big breakthrough as well and looked very good in his own right. Poyet leaving is a blow but if we can keep hold of Jordan for another season or two we'll have one heck of a player on our hands. Bob is meant to be good at bringing on younger players' development, I hope this is true and we'll see Cousins adding a few more assists and goals to his impressive physical attributes.
    Whilst Cousins is more than capable of playing the holding role, I thought at times last season he looked particularly good on bringing the ball forward. Not sure how this will tie in with Buyens, but I'm looking forward to seeing it!
  • Sponsored links:

• First we had RD saying he would buy players from the moon if the improved the team
    Now someone is saying Standard is still the mothership
    what is going on here lol :-)
  • 'On Reza
    Have you seen Reza’s performance against Argentina? Couldn’t believe what I saw. He never played like that at Standard de Liège.'

Or Charlton!
  • rikofold said:

Whilst Cousins is more than capable of playing the holding role, I thought at times last season he looked particularly good on bringing the ball forward.

Not so good at receiving the ball in a forward position though where had the tendency to panic and snatch at it. Hopefully the composure will come with experience and, if so, I think he'll get a decent amount of goals.

• Sounds good
  • Cheers Prague, always good to hear the view from people who actually know these players, when most of us base it on their Wikipedia page & a youtube clip.
  • Cheers Prague, good to hear views of someone from the otherside so to speak
  • edited June 2014
    Great read of a Belgian (Liege fan) perspective. Good to see he rates Vetokele and Buyens and would be interested to hear Douglas' views once the squad is complete. No doubt he will have better insight than many of us on players yet to sign as some will have a Liege or begian connection.
    Also @PragueAddick can you ask his thoughts on the forthcoming friendly vs Liege?
  • Like the sound of that but as ever will judge them on how they do for us.
  • Blinding news, thanks for all that info @PragueAddick‌
  • Sponsored links:

• Its all looking good now for the new season, I can't wait!
  • Greenie said:

Its all looking good now for the new season, I can't wait!

Oh christ Greenie... now you've done it... Its always the bloody hope that kills you here
  • Thanks for getting that information Prague, every little bit helps illuminate more of the picture.
  • First we had RD saying he would buy players from the moon if the improved the team

I think Douglas means the term only in the sense that it has the biggest pool of quality players, and probably the salary budget which RD thinks can be trimmed. So there are plenty of players which could be farmed out across the network of lesser clubs, and it would not be surprising that none of these clubs have any player who could enhance the Standard squad.

The one exception being Diego Poyet.

I think Douglas means the term only in the sense that it has the biggest pool of quality players, and probably the salary budget which RD thinks can be trimmed. So there are plenty of players which could be farmed out across the network of lesser clubs, and it would not be surprising that none of these clubs have any player who could enhance the Standard squad.

The one exception being Diego Poyet.

Oops... still I imagine we'll start seeing promising youth given decent contracts to prevent it happening again now. Every cloud, silver lining, etc etc.

• I get the feeling that Buyens is going to be a key man
  • Not happy that Douglas hasn't even mentioned that Buyens is the new Mark Kinsella.

What does this guy know anyway!!!???