Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Boss looking forward to working with Reza at Charlton

Comments

• He said: “I always found Reza was a good player when he was in Belgium.

“Then he came to Charlton but I know as a foreigner when you go abroad it takes some time to settle.

So why is he expecting Buyens, Igor and the countless others we are about to get in to be any different? Bit contradictory to be fair.
  • To be fair Reza has had more than 7 weeks and still looks out of his depth..
  • edited June 2014
    Kiely#1 said:

To be fair Reza has had more than 7 weeks and still looks out of his depth..

That was seven plus weeks with a struggling club scrambling for every point. As VG says, this is seven weeks of planned and controlled training and preparation.

• reckon it was 12 or 13 weeks, and if you think we won't be scrambling for every point next season I admire your confidence!
  • Kiely#1 said:

reckon it was 12 or 13 weeks, and if you think we won't be scrambling for every point next season I admire your confidence!

I don't know if we will be scrambling for every point next season, and neither do you - I do know that we were scrambling for every point in the 12-13 weeks Reza was with us last season.

• Did I say the we WOULD be scrambling for every point? You need to relax matey. I THINK we will, and I admire your confidence for THINKING we won't.

As for Reza, he has it all still to prove. Again, I admire your confidence in him but sadly I don't share it. I HOPE to be proved wrong. That better?
  • Reza is good he just needs to be around the box all game and not wide or playing deep.
  • Points wise he's one of the top strikers on The Suns World Cup Dream Team
  • Sponsored links:

• I have to say I'm impressed with the things Peeters is saying, he's come into a pretty mad situation but seems to be taking it in his stride.

On a personal level Reza couldn't have finished the World Cup any better, lets hope he takes that momentum into the new season.
  • Kiely#1 said:

To be fair Reza has had more than 7 weeks and still looks out of his depth..

No, they didn't have a single training session in the 7 weeks, it was a constant string of games during midweek and Saturdays till the end, so he didn't practise with his team mates to be fair...
  • I'm looking forward to reza ripping up those championship defences
  • se9addick said:

I have to say I'm impressed with the things Peeters is saying, he's come into a pretty mad situation but seems to be taking it in his stride.

On a personal level Reza couldn't have finished the World Cup any better, lets hope he takes that momentum into the new season.

Completely agree with this.

On his comment about taking time to settle, it is true. Some players take longer than others, we are all too quick to write players off and that even goes before we have seen them kick a ball. Let's just give everyone a chance, whether they were here last season or whether they have been brought in over the summer, from home or abroad.
  • Reza has a superb scoring record at international level and he has continued that at the WC. There are no easy International games anymore and there is far more pressure when a whole nation is counting on you to deliver. Play him him the right position with the right support and he'll score plenty of goals..
  • last_line said:

Points wise he's one of the top strikers on The Suns World Cup Dream Team

Is that going to help on a cold, windy Tuesday night in Leeds?
    Where he scored the winner on a cold Tuesday night last season?
    I get to do my first "Whooosh"!

Whoosh.
  • The lad had an excellent tournament for Iran. Will other clubs be interested in purchasing him?
    Will he take this form and produce it wearing a white and red vee shirt?
    Is he strong enough for the physicallity of the Championship?
  • shirty5 said:

The lad had an excellent tournament for Iran. Will other clubs be interested in purchasing him?
    Will he take this form and produce it wearing a white and red vee shirt?
    Is he strong enough for the physicallity of the Championship?

Can't answer the first two but I think he held his own very well against a really physical Bosnia team and Argentina and Nigeria are hardly lightweight.
  • Also he probably was using us a bit to get match fit for WC and didn't want to miss it so this must of affected the guy together with the move. Now that's over I'm sure we will see a different player next season
  • Sponsored links:

• It'll be very interesting to see how he does next season. It was clear last season that he had ability, but also that he found it tough physically. What was most disappointing though was his tendency to over elaborate and, at times, his poor decision making. I also found his frequent "waving of his arms" when he messed up or simply fell over somewhat irritating - he didn't seem to want to take responsibity.

His performances in Brazil have been encouraging, but I'd still be cautious about how he'll do next season. It was so tough for him upfront on his own for Iran that expectations were very low and hence he had a ready excuse if he was beaten to the ball or lost possession or, alternatively, immediately looked good if was able to hold the ball and lay it off or if one of his flicks found a man. Not criticising him, but in some ways it was easier for him to impress us at the World Cup than it was at the Valley.

I hope he returns to us fit, confident and in a positive frame of mind and that Peeters gets the best out of him, but I'll be surprised if he plays regularly next season in a successful side. I'd love to be proved wrong.
  • Reza must realise that if he bangs in 20 goals next season after having a good world cup he'll get a transfer to set him up for life. Its a win-win for both him and Charlton. Fingers crossed he comes back with the right attitude and delivers.
  • I would have loved to have seen him playing up front alongside Yann - we still need to find a replacement!
  • sm said:

I would have loved to have seen him playing up front alongside Yann - we still need to find a replacement!

Killer combo
  • Reza looked lightweight but also looked slightly lost as if he wasn't quite sure what his role in the team was or wasnt comfortable in it. For iran he knew his role back to front and was obviously very comfortable playing off the shoulder. I remember against QPR didnt he hit the post? If that went in i'm sure the floodgates would have opened... i thought the same about BWP with that disallowed goal against palace.