Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

If it wasn't for agents and brainwashing...

Would footballers be more loyal to their clubs?

The new generation is all about the idea that football is a short career and you have to make the most out of it...only as an individual.

Just saw lallana in the paper posing with his new Liverpool strip. That might be a dream move for him etc etc, but loyalty to absolutely anything in football has completely gone out the window now, it's isolation, loneliness, and something that turns men into boys.

No courage, just fear and greed.

That is no reference to Diego Poyet, he is young and basically just following the trend I just spoke of.

He's a sheep but I don't blame him for it. A lot of people would have done the same thing.

The feeder clubs will continue to just feed the top clubs....until they get a billionaire owner.

Comments

• Options
    The agents are so keen to get as much money as they can out of the club...and player.

The players just do as they say really...
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Vetokele left a top flight side playing in European competition to join a second tier middle of the road club, because he wants to play first team football. He is not moving for a huge pay packet and the real possibility of being a bench warmer like Lallana, a man guaranteed a starting place at his current club and I feel sure being very well rewarded already for it.

We use estate agents and solicitors as and when we need them, we don't have them breathing in our earhole telling us we need to move house every six months, and we don't expect the vendor to weigh them out as well as paying them ourselves. Henners me old mate, normally you are spot on, but I can barely give you 2/10 for that particular analogy

EDIT: And of course the 17 year old can always use the PFA to do the job for him if he wants to.
  • Options
    Virtually every footballer is only interested in themselves. Agents help to achieve that.

Be it players, managers, owners, or agents, there are very few morals in football and there is virtually no loyalty whatsoever.

As agents are on the periphery of the establishment, they are the ones that pick up the all the angst and blame.
  • Options

"no courage" is a strange statement.

Spin it around and you could say Llanna is showing bravery by leaving his comfort zone at Southampton and going to another club. Maybe he is being ambitious, furthering his club and international career, playing in the champions league.

Or is Vetokele just "fear and greed". Is Buyens a sheep? Did they only join Charlton for the money. Did his evil agent make him sign for us?

Didn't Charlton encourage Igor to be disloyal by offering to buy him just like we did with Wiggins or Stephens or a hundred other players we have bought?

Or it is that when a player leaves Charlton they are a greedy coward but when they sign for Charlton they are ambitious. Bit of a double standard among football fans?

Players have always moved for better money right back to before there was (legal) professional football. Teams like Preston were made up of imported Scottish players who all got cushy jobs in local factories and plenty of boot money in the 1880s.

The agents are an easy target and no doubt some of them give poor advice to just line their own pockets but the players and clubs are happy to use them when it suits.

Why should a 21 year old player be expected to sit down with the 40+ year old CEO of a big corporation and make a deal? How unfair would that be? We use estate agents and solicitors. Same thing.

I think courage has a flip side of not doing what everyone else wants and persuades you to do.

Having an emotional attachment to a club and seeing it through.

Of course players have transfers and further their careers, not saying everyone should stay at their club regardless!

• Options
    So Mousa?

Greedy or furthering his career?

Jumped ship from a club that rescued him and who are on the up or wants to play at a higher level?
  • Options

Vetokele left a top flight side playing in European competition to join a second tier middle of the road club, because he wants to play first team football. He is not moving for a huge pay packet and the real possibility of being a bench warmer like Lallana, a man guaranteed a starting place at his current club and I feel sure being very well rewarded already for it.

We use estate agents and solicitors as and when we need them, we don't have them breathing in our earhole telling us we need to move house every six months, and we don't expect the vendor to weigh them out as well as paying them ourselves. Henners me old mate, normally you are spot on, but I can barely give you 2/10 for that particular analogy

EDIT: And of course the 17 year old can always use the PFA to do the job for him if he wants to.

How do you know that? Wasn't he playing first team football last year? Why not stay and fight for his place. Show some loyalty?

On FC Copenhagen Life they are saying he's getting more money here and is just using us as a stepping stone to the Premiership. Everyone knows English clubs are rich and Roland is a mutli-millionaire. Greedy sod.
  • Options
    Your sarcasm knows no bounds
  • Options
    I only go to my work for the money. Some of you must just do volunteering
  • Options

The agents are so keen to get as much money as they can out of the club...and player.

I have experience of only one agent and one transfer. I was sitting in the agent's office when a call came through from the player's manger who was going off on one big-time, haranguing the agent non-stop, complaining that he'd just made the player team captain and he felt let down.

The agent came off the phone, told me the player wanted the transfer as he wanted the move so he could go and play in another team with a good mate. (They'd both previously played together in another PL team.) He was a top, top player with a massive PL reputation and could have gone almost anywhere frankly.

But the agent was happy to take all the blame (he certainly got a lot of that from the press and the club) and all the abuse from the manager as he saw that as part of his role of supporting what his client wanted and shielding him from that side of things. So, that's just one example of a player getting what he wanted rather than being an agent's puppet. I suspect there are many others. (And, no, I'm not naming the player concerned.)

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    cafcfan said:

I have experience of only one agent and one transfer. I was sitting in the agent's office when a call came through from the player's manger who was going off on one big-time, haranguing the agent non-stop, complaining that he'd just made the player team captain and he felt let down.

The agent came off the phone, told me the player wanted the transfer as he wanted the move so he could go and play in another team with a good mate. (They'd both previously played together in another PL team.) He was a top, top player with a massive PL reputation and could have gone almost anywhere frankly.

But the agent was happy to take all the blame (he certainly got a lot of that from the press and the club) and all the abuse from the manager as he saw that as part of his role of supporting what his client wanted and shielding him from that side of things. So, that's just one example of a player getting what he wanted rather than being an agent's puppet. I suspect there are many others. (And, no, I'm not naming the player concerned.)

Interesting clues i dont expect to confirm or deny.

Perhaps one of the many arsenal lot that transfer to man city?
  • Options

Virtually every footballer is only interested in themselves. Agents help to achieve that.

Be it players, managers, owners, or agents, there are very few morals in football and there is virtually no loyalty whatsoever.

As agents are on the periphery of the establishment, they are the ones that pick up the all the angst and blame.

As a sweeping generalisation I think this is not limited to footballers. I am totally loyal to my family and my closest (life long) friends; I am completely loyal to all of my friends; I am loyal to those that have shown me kindness and/or respect; I wouldn't steal from an employer.

However, come along and offer me a huge pay rise to leave and do the same (or a similar job) elsewhere and I'd take the money, and if an employer turned 'round and said that they are not going to pay me anymore that would be my last day.

We are all (mostly) the same. Footballers and their mouthpieces use phrases like 'short career' but realistically we all have a limited career to earn the money that we, and our families, will need. I don't think it is fair, or realistic, to expect anyone to earn less than they are worth. Loyalty cuts both ways and I think it's just as bad to ask someone to work for less than they can get elsewhere than it is for someone to move for more money.
  • Options

How do you know that? Wasn't he playing first team football last year? Why not stay and fight for his place. Show some loyalty?

On FC Copenhagen Life they are saying he's getting more money here and is just using us as a stepping stone to the Premiership. Everyone knows English clubs are rich and Roland is a mutli-millionaire. Greedy sod.
    They have signed De Ridder who was going in front of him in the pecking order, they were happy to let Vetokele go on that basis. Totally different story at Southampton.
  • Options

They have signed De Ridder who was going in front of him in the pecking order, they were happy to let Vetokele go on that basis. Totally different story at Southampton.
    So no loyalty from his club then. As I said double standard.
  • Options

So no loyalty from his club then. As I said double standard.
    What? Who are you and what have you done with Henry?
  • Options
    What about players who want salary increases or they threaten to leave? Is this greed ? I would say it is. Most players who leave for extra money and/or ambition is fine as most people in most professions would do this. Demanding more money and threatening to leave feels wrong though.