Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sports Personality Of The Year 2014

Seriously halfway through the year I have no idea who might win it

No England player done it at the World Cup
Murray out of Wimbledon already and lost in Australian QF French SF so cant see him winning it

So who are the other contenders and why

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2014
    Mo Farah if he does his stuff in the Commonwealth Games and European Athletics Championships.

Why?

First man to win two Olympic golds in long distance races then won them in the world championships the following year.

He didn't get the recognition he deserved then because of other exceptional candidates so may now.
  • Options
    Like you said, it's half way through the year. Maybe see what happens in the next few months?!
  • Options
    Simon Church
  • Options
    Will be Lewis Hamilton.
  • Options
    Tom Sykes, World SuperBike Champion last year and leading the championship again.
    A proper race series unlike F1 procession.
  • Options
    Reza obviously. World Cup hero and plays in SE London, all the qualification needed.
  • Options
    Its a shit year, like when Giggs won it.
  • Options
    Carl froch?...perhaps not.

Murray out of wimbledon already...didnt know that.
  • Options

Will be Lewis Hamilton.

this
  • Options

Will be Lewis Hamilton.

Would be surprised if he finishes 2nd and still manages to win SPOTY
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Lizzie Yarnold might be in with a shout if people remember back that far....
  • Options
    Hamilton has hammered Rosberg this year and has been outdone by horrendous luck and cheating from his team mate. If he overcomes that he will win it.
  • Options
    Hamilton? No thanks. Massively overrated.

Wouldn't mind Gareth Bale, scoring in the Champions League final. Or Chris Froome if he wins the Tour de France. Or Mo Farah.
  • Options
    Jamie Bestwick just won his 9th consecutive X games gold medal in the BMX vert ramp. Not bad for a 42yr old!
  • Options
    If Westwood, McIlroy, Poulter etc win a major and do something dramatic In the Ryder Cup they might have a shout in an otherwise quiet year.
  • Options
    edited July 2014

Or Mo Farah.

I don't think he came in the top 3 in the past 2 years despite winning double gold at the Olympics and Worlds yet came 3rd in 2011 when he won "just" the one gold..

Murray might still win the US Open...

I cannot believe Ryan Giggs won ahead of Jenson Button in 2009 despite the latter being F1 Champion and I am not sure how popular Hamilton is?
  • Options
    Gareth Bale.
    100million transfer, 20+goals in first season at Madrid incl goals in Champions League final and Spanish cup final.
  • Options
    There are a lot more highlights to come I'm sure. Probably be 4 or 5 contenders according to my Nan.

Just bumped into a bloke who's a BBC fan and he said that it should be a good line up anyway, got a failsafe bet with Paddy Power that's like printing money on the winner... Although I'm not doing it lol.
  • Options
    Froome may have a chance if he retains the TdF
  • Options
    If a British player wins the open in the next 2 weeks they will be hot favourite to win it. Otherwise wide open at present.