Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

THE RESULTS - Charlton Life's top 10 Solo Music Artists .

Tough one to collate this one , as there is a very wide range of tastes among lifers but as usual the cream rises to the top.

1st- David Bowie

Joint 2nd - Van Morrison

Joint 2nd - Paul Weller

Joint 2nd - Elvis

5th- Bob Dylan

Joint 6th - Marvin Gaye

Joint 6th Joni Mitchell

8th- Michael Jackson

9th - Elton John

10th - Neil Young

Comments

• Options
    Can't really argue with that.
  • Options
    Bowie is a legend, proper No 1.
  • Options
    Not my top ten but all on my Ipod.

Surprised that Van was so high and that Joni (only female) was there much as I love them both.

Can't believe that Gilen Swift didn't make the list. Great talent
  • Options
    Biggest surprise to me is that there is only four Brits on the the top ten where as in the the top ten bands lost it was almost all British .
  • Options
    Interesting. It has taught me that I am not keen on mainstream solo artists. With the exception of Paul Weller, I've never had the slightest inclination to see any of the rest - perhaps Bowie or Van in their heyday. But, as a true Charlton supporter, I move on.
  • Options
    Beds did you deliberately select a childhood photo of Michael Jackson? Looks slightly weird among all the other musicians...
  • Options
    Think this either reflects the ageing charlton fan base or the dearth of modern day solo artists. Perhaps fame is more fleeting these days so don't become legendary.
  • Options
    Only major one I can see left out would be Johnny Cash. But seems pretty much what you would expect.
  • Options
    No Gerri Halliwell?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Beds did you deliberately select a childhood photo of Michael Jackson? Looks slightly weird among all the other musicians...

He was performing from a very early age and a number of his better tracks IMO were the early Motown ones, including Rockin' Robin. I do agree it looks a bit weird, but the pictures of him as an adult are often weirder.
  • Options
    Only one of mine made the top ten. Not surprised in the least.
  • Options
    Do you think Bowie being number 1 shows British bias or is he as popular internationally?
  • Options
    with the 'one is the loneliest number' add on the telly at the moment. Harry Nilsson is the one I wish was in my original list.
  • Options
    Beds ...... I'd be interested to know your results from the next 10 (positions 11 to 20).

Any chance you could post them?

• Options

Interesting. It has taught me that I am not keen on mainstream solo artists. With the exception of Paul Weller, I've never had the slightest inclination to see any of the rest - perhaps Bowie or Van in their heyday. But, as a true Charlton supporter, I move on.

Swop Elvis for Weller and Neil Young for Bowie or Van and that pretty much sums it up for me too.
  • Options
    Not too many of them are my cup of tea and I think it shows the majority who took part in this poll are blokes in their 40-60s :-)

Can't believe anyone couldn't have Madonna in there.
  • Options

Not too many of them are my cup of tea and I think it shows the majority who took part in this poll are blokes in their 40-60s :-)

Can't believe anyone couldn't have Madonna in there.

Madonna got one vote.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Beds ...... I'd be interested to know your results from the next 10 (positions 11 to 20).

I didn't keep the paper where i counted the votes but off the top of my head the ones just outside the top ten were Stevie Wonder , Billy Joel , Jimi Hendrix , Tom Waits , Rod Stewart and Neil Diamond.
  • Options
    Hendrix not in top ten but Elton John was. Interesting.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Madonna? Uuuurrrgghhhh!
  • Options
    This top 10 says so much about the folk who use Charlton Life. I personally think that's a shocking list.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:

This top 10 says so much about the folk who use Charlton Life. I personally think that's a shocking list.

Agree. I'd have Bowie in there and I suppose you can't argue with Elvis, although I'm not a fan.

But the rest, in terms of top 10 - yuk.
  • Options
    Surprised Hendrix didn't make it.

Not a fan of Paul Weller's solo stuff but quite like the rest.
  • Options

You'll soon be 40, AFKA. Not long now.

;o)
  • Options

Oggy Red said:

I didn't keep the paper where i counted the votes but off the top of my head the ones just outside the top ten were Stevie Wonder , Billy Joel , Jimi Hendrix , Tom Waits , Rod Stewart and Neil Diamond.
    Early Rod Stewart (before he got famous), and of course Hendrix.

Tom Waits is a good call.
  • Options
    can you do most hated now as a contrast?
  • Options

Madonna? Uuuurrrgghhhh!

This. Have really never got the hype about her, definitely not a serious musician but I will give her credit for her marketing and business sense. Think she looks a bit desperate when she tries to throw a bit of raunch into it now though.
  • Options

It would probably contain many of the same ten
  • Options

It would probably contain many of the same ten
    thats what would be interesting