Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

I am calling you from Windows Technical support

I just had a call, probably from India, by the accent, trying to get me to allow them access to my pc.
I played along for a while, until they started to request that I press certain keys.
A new one on me. Googled it, here it is.
I bear in mind, loads of people are aware, but there are also probably some that aren't.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2012/10/i-am-calling-you-from-windows-a-tech-support-scammer-dials-ars-technica/

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2014
    I've had that call loads of times. I ask them to give me details and they do. Then I tell them I've never been there.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    My old boss had this at work. She ended up putting iton speaker phone. Had the bloke on the phone for about 20mins. He was getting excited as he clearly thought he'd caught someone out.

He started to get annoyed when it dragged on and hung up when my boss came out with the following "I don't know much about Windows XP, does the fact that the apple on the back of my laptop is glowing, mean it has a virus?"
  • Options
    Had it once last year... Phoned me saying there was a problem that only a Computer Engineer, told him that I have a family of them (Which I do), was then told that it was a problem only one ot them could find so told him to fuck off (Took a good number of times to say it too)
  • Options
    Always great fun these guys. Try to keep them hanging on for ever - then if I'm feeling particularly cruel I'll either say I can't open windows because it's raining before mentioning that I run Linux.
    Once I told them they were through to a Garden Gnome Sales hotline and asked them how many they wanted and in what colours and did they have their credit card number handy. You can keep at it for a while because they tend not to know what garden gnomes are and you have to ask to explain to their supervisor.
  • Options
    Blame him for Windows 8. If that doesn't shame him into ringing off, hang up as he's got no guilt, conscience or shame and can't connect with his fellow humans.
  • Options
    I can often recognise nuisance callers with my phone that displays the callers number. I've had some fun when answering their calls with "Dereham prison" which sends them into a spin, the last time this happened the caller asked for me by name, to which I replied - "Is he an officer or an inmate" and my pain in the neck caller hung up.
    A friend suggested just leaving the telephone 'off the hook' which prevents callers from using that line. Obviously this prevents incoming calls, but I get some satisfaction knowing these callers are unable to use this line.
  • Options
    I had this at the weekend and was briefly taken in, due to the general call-centre sounds in the background. I twigged that Microsoft probably didn't care how fast my internet speeds were and said I was going out. The bloke really pushed me on when I would be back. When I said I had no idea he said, 'You must be really crazy' and hung up.
  • Options
    Total scam.

I had that same Microsoft phone call a couple of years ago.

As soon as I mentioned that I'm a Tech Support Analyst, that all my home PCs are kept virus free and that they were talking out of the back of their hat (that's a polite translation) I heard the dial tone.....

However it's a nasty scam and one which seriously screws over those who don't know any better, so spread the word not to fall for it - particularly with elderly relatives.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    NEver had them myslef Dad gets them all the time
  • Options
    Get plenty of these calls, and when i'm in the mood like to wind them up. Sometimes i'll play the 89-year-old, will rabbit on that "we've just had new windows fitted", etc. A pleasure to waste their time...
  • Options
    I never get these and I'm feeling a bit left out!
  • Options
    Rizzo said:

I never get these and I'm feeling a bit left out!

Don't feel left out. Give me your number and I will ask them to put you on their telephone "mailing" list!
  • Options
    Accident advice help line. Possibly the best play along ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UakaSdXk8ZI
  • Options
    'Yes it was me, I was killed in a car accident!'
  • Options
    Once had a double glazing salesman ring up, led him on for a while as he talked about the different types of window they fit and how they were the best priced company in the area. When he asked me if I was interested I told him "extremely! One thing though, my home doesn't actually have any windows...will that be a problem?"

The line went dead.
  • Options
    They just called again. We had an exellent swearing competion. I won :-)