Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

3rd place play off

How will Brazil react to last night 'performance' ?

Is this a game they will just go through the motions or will it be their chance to redeem themselves to their fans.

It may be best for them to be playing Argentina, as no way will the fans accept another lie down performance against their old foes.

Comments

• Options
    Why do they have this game? Completely pointless. Unless there a bronze medal on offer i can't work it out.
  • Options

Why do they have this game? Completely pointless. Unless there a bronze medal on offer i can't work it out.

I agree. It has always seemed like a silly game that no one can really want.
  • Options

Sepp Blatter needs more points in his dream team!
  • Options
    Bronze medal match. In France 1998 Croatia looked so happy to win that game. I remember Davor Suker holding his medal between his teeth.
  • Options

Absolutely agree. Pointless and no interest at all.
  • Options
    Having bought a Sony TV before the competition, I get £5 for every goal they score, so I hope they play a bit better!
  • Options
    Thiago Silva will be back, so you can guarantee they won't be defending like that again.
  • Options
    StevieK said:

Having bought a Sony TV before the competition, I get £5 for every goal they score, so I hope they play a bit better!

Be thankful they don't add a fiver on for every goal they conceeded...................
  • Options
    Funny enough I was taking to my mates about this the other day. I went to an even more pointless 3rd and 4th play off.
    It was the 1971 FA Cup 3rd and 4th play off at Sellout Park it was between Everton and Stoke.
  • Options
    StevieK said:

Currys are bloomin' lucky it wasnt £5 for every Goal conceded after last night
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Perhaps, England could play off for 31st / 32nd place.
  • Options

money money money...
  • Options

Bronze medal match. In France 1998 Croatia looked so happy to win that game. I remember Davor Suker holding his medal between his teeth.

Let's put it this way. If a side in the world cup going into the competion with low expectations ends up going out in the semi final they are probably happy to play for 3rd place like Croatia in 1998. To a certain extent Turkey had lower expectations in 2002. Possibly South Korea as well even though they were host nation. If Ghana hadn't been diddled out the 2010 World Cup quarters they would have liked the opportunity or 3rd place. In this current World Cup (2014) Holland, Argentina, Brazil and Germany with their pedagrees will be disappointed to play in the 3rd place game. Had Costa Rica been luckier with the lottery of penalties against Holland they would have beenpleased with 3rd.
  • Options

I'm not sure but I think it's to clearly award 3rd place to an eliminated team, in recognition of their efforts.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Agree its pointless and I'd also like to see a draw done after the group stages with no seeding and for all the future rounds, so even a small country can get to the final

Did you know....only three times since 1950 have neither Germany or Brazil been in a final (edited)!
  • Options
    StevieK said:

Surprised you didn't take the £10 per England goal scored offer.
  • Options
    Was thinking this exact same question today, whats the fckin point, annnndddd...........

What I came up with is a possibility that the winner of 3rd place play off should get a bye to the next world cup finals, this would obviously mean the top 3 get a bye to the next tournament but with 32 teams in it now its the worst thing in the world.
  • Options
    The third place World Cup game is pretty tepid and pointless but I always tend to watch it, given that it's the penultimate game of the tournament and the last competitive football for a month.

This occasion, however, has an added element - a kind of Tyburn hanging/rubber-necking allure, in terms of seeing whether Brazil can manage to pull themselves together after last night's calamity.
  • Options
    Technically given thier vast contrating fortunes 3rd place should go to Holland.
  • Options
    If you were in with a chance of the golden boot award, it gives you an extra game.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I was gutted when Peter Shilton's mistake cost us the bronze medal!

Pointless game which used to make my dad go potty!
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:

I'm not sure but I think it's to clearly award 3rd place to an eliminated team, in recognition of their efforts.
    Yeah cheers for that.
  • Options
    If Brazil lose, they will end the tournament with a negative goal difference
  • Options

Let's put it this way. If a side in the world cup going into the competion with low expectations ends up going out in the semi final they are probably happy to play for 3rd place like Croatia in 1998. To a certain extent Turkey had lower expectations in 2002. Possibly South Korea as well even though they were host nation. If Ghana hadn't been diddled out the 2010 World Cup quarters they would have liked the opportunity or 3rd place. In this current World Cup (2014) Holland, Argentina, Brazil and Germany with their pedagrees will be disappointed to play in the 3rd place game. Had Costa Rica been luckier with the lottery of penalties against Holland they would have beenpleased with 3rd.
    And very well put indeed, if I may say so...

• Options

I was gutted when Peter Shilton's mistake cost us the bronze medal!

Pointless game which used to make my dad go potty!

He had already cost us the chance to win the tournament twice, then he manages to forget to pick the ball up in his box and costs us 3rd place too.

great header Platty (if you are reading this).
  • Options
    Van Gaal's side now face Brazil in Saturday's third-place play-off in Brasilia but the Dutchman said:

"In a tournament you shouldn't have players play a match for third or fourth place.

"There's only one award that counts, and that's being world champion."

• Options
    It's for world rankings and to get a clear 3/4th surely?
  • Options
    Why does 3rd or 4th matter?

Why not 5th/6th/7th/8th? Because no one cares.

I think Van Gaal is spot on.
  • Options
    Brazil will want to save some face but agree its just a glorified friendly - albeit with a few goals usually.