Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

neil young

i don't do outdoor gigs because it always bloody rains but as i hadn't seen neil young and have wanted too for ages and before either he or i kick the bucket went to hyde park last night to see the man and was glad i did. obviously it did rain but thankfully not long. i have nothing to compare it with but thought it a great gig, i thought he was brilliant, he's not far away from being 70. ordered " after the gold rush " this morning, have it on tape but no tape machine anymore. " southern man " a track on the album is one of my all time favourites of his.

Comments

• Options
    I didn't even know he was playing last night. Which songs did he do?
  • Options

i don't do outdoor gigs because it always bloody rains but as i hadn't seen neil young and have wanted too for ages and before either he or i kick the bucket went to hyde park last night to see the man and was glad i did. obviously it did rain but thankfully not long. i have nothing to compare it with but thought it a great gig, i thought he was brilliant, he's not far away from being 70. ordered " after the gold rush " this morning, have it on tape but no tape machine anymore. " southern man " a track on the album is one of my all time favourites of his.

Got "After the Goldrush" on vinyl, tape and CD.

Same with the "Harvest" Album.

Favourite two Neil Young albums, although I have others too.

I'll add seeing him 'live' to my "bucket lust".

• Options
    Thought the national yesterday who were on before Young were fantastic.
    Neil himself was ok but not sure why he only played till 10.
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:

I didn't even know he was playing last night. Which songs did he do?

all the usual and some i hadn't heard before
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Got "After the Goldrush" on vinyl, tape and CD.

Same with the "Harvest" Album.

Favourite two Neil Young albums, although I have others too.

I'll add seeing him 'live' to my "bucket lust".

yeah i've got it on vinyl but no turntable working at the moment!
  • Options

i'd heard of the national but never heard any of their music and i thought they were good too!
  • Options
    Went last night and saw him at the O2 last year. I'm not even a fan but my best mate is obsessed and Hoovers up tickets - was bit disappointed last night as he hardly did any acoustic stuff so preferred when I saw him before. Was a good day anyway could barely stand by the end of it.
  • Options

Horlicks and bedtime?

• Options
    Hyde Park curfew is 10:15.

I also went yesterday and, having seen the great man seven times, was a little disappointed. I think the main reason was not necessarily the set (although even by Neil standards, some of the guitar parts went on a bit) but the fact that many of the crowd were obviously not too bothered about seeing him beyond hearing Heart of Gold and this didn't make for the best atmosphere particularly during songs from other albums beyond Harvest and After the Gold Rush.

He is my hero though and I'll never get tired of his music and hope I'll get the opportunity to see him live again. He is 70 now and looked old last night so not holding my breath on that.....
  • Options
    I love Neil Young, seen him a few times, after the gold rush is one of my favourite albums.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It must be a bit of a lottery in terms of what you get though. After 35ish albums and so many different styles he could have played anything. He could easily do 20 songs that you don't even like.
  • Options
    Love Neil, though never seen him live.
    Got the Buffalo Springfield stuff; the first 4 solo albums, plus Freedom, Decade and On the Beach.
    Generally prefer the acoustic stuff to the "grungy" stuff.
    Used to be desperate to see him live, but got put off a little by televised live stuff where he launched into a few interminable guitar solos with endings that would go on forever and keep starting up again when you thought it had finally finished.
    I hate that!
  • Options
    I just been playing the CSNY Deja vu LP but I also really like the Neil Young Eldorado LP
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Helpless from Déjà Vu is one of my favourite NY songs ever.
  • Options

i'd heard of the national but never heard any of their music and i thought they were good too!
    The National are superb. High Violet is one of my all time fave albums.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    One of our Canadian National Treasures alongside Pamela Anderson & Justin Bieber :-)

Saw Neil at Finsbury Park in 93 - Pearl Jam, Teenage Fanclub & er.. 4Non Blondes supported him that day...
  • Options
    Hi Oakster, you forgot Gordon Lightfoot as a national treasure
  • Options

Used to be desperate to see him live, but got put off a little by televised live stuff where he launched into a few interminable guitar solos with endings that would go on forever and keep starting up again when you thought it had finally finished.
    I hate that!

You would not have enjoyed last night then! Keep on Rocking in the free world, Love to burn, Love and only love and Down by the River all lasted 10-15 minutes.
  • Options
    HandG said:

I hate that!

You would not have enjoyed last night then! Keep on Rocking in the free world, Love to burn, Love and only love and Down by the River all lasted 10-15 minutes.
    Haha!
    To be clear, it's not the length of the songs per se that bothers me - it's when the ending lasts 10-15 minutes
    You know, where he slows the tempo right down, then hangs on the last note or chord, then cranks it back up again and repeats the process 2 or 3 times.
    Hate it. He could squeeze in another 2/3 songs if he'd just bloody end the things!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

The National are superb. High Violet is one of my all time fave albums.</blockquot

i'll check it out new york thanks
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Was there on Saturday and thought Neil Young was amazing. 2 hour set with no interval and he's pushing 70. I'm only 26 and didn't grow up with his music but absolutely love his stuff. I have quite a particular taste in music and didn't enjoy any of the other acts, so I just hung around for 6 hours waiting for him and he was well worth it. Privileged to have been there.
  • Options
    Got hits 'greatest hits' on in the car at the moment and am loving it.

After about an hour of NY wailing last saturday my son asked to change the CD before he comitted suicide.
  • Options
    I also went on Saturday and thought he was brilliant.
    Also think I'm going to give The National a go as enjoyed their set but haven't listened to them before.
  • Options
    redcarter said:

I also went on Saturday and thought he was brilliant.
    Also think I'm going to give The National a go as enjoyed their set but haven't listened to them before.

I'm going to check out Tom Odell. Quite enjoyed him but (despite the rave reviews) not too keen on The National. :/
  • Options

...and captain paul watson, a major hero.
  • Options

and Joni Mitchell!
  • Options
    BTW just remembered that I saw someone with a Charlton cap on at the gig and wondered if it was a CL member. Make yourself known...
  • Options
    Might of been me. Saw him at Hyde Park in 2008(?) and he was great but to be honest I found the whole day underwhelming. After going to outdoor gigs for 28 years I shouldn't complain about expensive drink (£5.50 a pint) or them taking the tops of wine bottles so I ended up spilling most of it, but it still isses me off. Though it works like a knife through butter when you are trying to get three sloshing half pints of red wine through a crowd. Why was Tom Odell on the bill and yes I thought the National were OK but one paced. Only the middle part of Neils set (Cinamon Girl etc) really took off and I just found a lot of the crowd around me annoyingly middle class and tall.
    Maybe at 50 its time to retire from outdoor gigs.
    Can't wait for the Jayhawkes on Friday though.