Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Decemberists ?

It good when you stumble over what for me is a new band .... i can see they have been round a number of years....has any lifers seen them live ...they are for me a grower band after a number of listens on spotify i have been adding more and more songs to my playlist.

Comments

• Options
    Great band, they are on a hiatus at the moment, seen them live a few times, Hazards of love an amazing album (Best listened to in one go). Also check out Colin Meloys solo stuff and his earlier band Tarkio (all on spotify).
  • Options
    I saw them at the Royal Festival Hall a few years ago. I am a massive fan of Robyn Hitchcock who I knew had collaborated with them and I went along out of curiosity. They were magnificent.
  • Options
    for that special anthemic song that can hold pride of place on any top mixtape for a special one, and that rivals anything the arctic fireaters can offer, try the decemberists - "the wanting comes in waves". a 6.5 minute monster classic!!! if you don't know it, may possibly become one of your all-time faves...funny how they are from portland when colin meloy the key guy, produces such an authentic british folk-rock sound.
  • Options
    I saw them live when I was a member of the audience at Jools Holland, a great band I have to say, I really really enjoy listening to their albums.
  • Options
    1st time i ever heard of em and assumed the thread might have been about (the month of) december enthusiasts.

might youtube
  • Options
    Saw them live at Hammersmith Apollo three years ago and they were terrific. As Thommo says, they have been on a break and one of the members battled a serious illness, but recently played two dates in Portland (their hometown) and announced they are to start work on a new album.
    Picaresque is also a great album.
  • Options
    Saw them perform Hazards of Love live from start to finish. Best gig I've ever been to.
  • Options
    Gillis said:

Saw them perform Hazards of Love live from start to finish. Best gig I've ever been to.

i love this forum!
  • Options

Gillis said:

i love this forum!
    i mean charlton life and this little thread!
  • Options
    shootershill2 thankks for the heads up on The wanting comes in waves skipped over it on spotify now listening and added to work at work list the GF is from Portland so she got me into them via her Portland collection and a couple of visits to the great City, she has seen them play at Edgefield an outdoor concert series run at the Edgefileld Brewery ( McMenamins Real Beer and good bands. Portland so laid back great music scene and wonderful beer and not a bad Football team and support.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    pleased you enjoyed "the wanting...."...and of all u.s. cities portland is notable for a number of interesting other reasons...
  • Options

Gillis said:

i love this forum!
    i mean charlton life and this little thread!
    Weirdly enough, The Forum was where I saw them!
  • Options
    Saw them live at Calgary Folk Festival around 2009 - was a warm, starry night and as they played there was a huge magic lantern parade around the stage area - unforgettable moment and one of the best performances i have seen. Consistently good band and hard to pick a favourite LP as they are all good....
  • Options

shootershill2 thankks for the heads up on The wanting comes in waves skipped over it on spotify now listening and added to work at work list the GF is from Portland so she got me into them via her Portland collection and a couple of visits to the great City, she has seen them play at Edgefield an outdoor concert series run at the Edgefileld Brewery ( McMenamins Real Beer and good bands. Portland so laid back great music scene and wonderful beer and not a bad Football team and support.

Love Portland, stopping off there next weekend on our way to the Oregon coast - trying to get tickets for the MLS All Stars team vs Bayern Munich on the 29th - tickets like hen's teeth!!

Richmond Fontaine are by far my favourite Portland band BTW
  • Options
    Oakster said:

Love Portland, stopping off there next weekend on our way to the Oregon coast - trying to get tickets for the MLS All Stars team vs Bayern Munich on the 29th - tickets like hen's teeth!!

Richmond Fontaine are by far my favourite Portland band BTW
    willy vlautin's rockn' outfit are a pacific north west flavoured pick for me too! portland is notable for so many one-offs, including, i turned up a vegan strip club there!!!
  • Options
    oo yes the home off micro breweies,Voodoo Dnuts; coffee shops and strip clubs !!! i was rather surpised by the number of them all but didnt know they had a Vegan one...when over cant beat walking round the The Alberta/Hawthorn District plenty of Biscuits and Gravy at Pine State and few pints at the Lucky Lab last there in Feb hope to be back in Nov. I will look up Richmond Fontaine... Oakster and good luck with tickets and Willy rockin outfit Shoots .
  • Options
    Another vote for Richmond Fontaine from me, my all time favourite band. They were supported by Laura Gibson on a recent tour, who has links to The Decemberists. An acquired taste but I've grown very fond of her songs.
  • Options
    addickson said:

Another vote for Richmond Fontaine from me, my all time favourite band. They were supported by Laura Gibson on a recent tour, who has links to The Decemberists. An acquired taste but I've grown very fond of her songs.

wow, "all time", that's rich praise addickson, certainly they deserve a much bigger audience, but hey maybe the back roads suit their musical path better...laura gibson, dead on again, a beautifully understated talent..
  • Options
    Got some new music to listen to so thanks. Have to confess a small regret this thread is not about the Faithful and True Sons of the Motherland and the Decemberists of Senate Square.