Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

real dilemna

if you are in a job which you hate and is basically affecting your health (hardly sleeping, eating and generally depressed most of the time) would you quit?

ive had jobs in the past which ive disliked, however i have managed to stick it through, however this time around, i am really unhappy. quiting does go against my personality and will be the toughest decision ive every had to make, however im just wondering whether people have/would do the same if they are in my situation.

your advice would truly be appreciated?

thanks

Comments

• depends on your circumstances, could you live without that job, would your family suffer, how long would it take to get another job etc etc.
  • edited July 2014
    I suppose it all depends on wether you can afford to leave. If you have some money behind you then go . A job is not worth it if the stress likely to kill you.
  • Surely apply to another job ASAP whilst staying in your current one?
  • If you hate it that much and you can afford the uncertainty both financially and otherwise, I'd say go for it. It might be better to find something else first, though if your job is affecting your health you might not have the energy.

If you can't survive without the wage, then definitely start looking for something else. Have you been able to talk to your manager about what you think is wrong? Do you get on with your workmates? How do they feel about it? Is it a common problem where you work?

And remember,at the end of a day a job is a means to an end not an endurance test. Unless you are fortunate enough to do something you love, we all work to earn money to live. There is no shame whatsoever in walking out on a job you don't like.
  • thats the thing. i have no wife/girlfriend & children thankfully, however i have hardly any savings. i do have a mortgage, however i will have no problem renting my property out to cover the repayments. i suppose i need to speak to my parents to see if i can stay with them for a while until i find a new job
  • cheers everyone for their responses. i will think on it tonight and make a decision tommorrow
  • Mate of mine hated her job, took redundancy without anything lined up, 5 months later she's still out of work & has very little redundancy left - the job market is tough still
  • As others have said about Redundancy.

Try and ensure you've got a job before leaving the one before... Redundant twice in the last year got my first perm job just over a month ago and was out of work for a total of 8 months

Can become very tough looking for a job as @NorthStandUltra‌ has said the job market is really difficult these days and does get emotionally difficult after being constantly rejected
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2014
    If you can afford to do it, then leave the job. If I were in a job I hated and the maths worked out I'd do just that. In fact i've been giving leaving my job (one im content in)a lot of thought of late. Life's to short to be stuck doing something you don't want to do.

If you can, leave.

Good luck with it all.
  • edited July 2014
    If you do decide to leave then try to keep it amicable.

You might need a reference and although, theoretically, these days it's illegal to give a bad or malicious reference people read between the lines and sometimes what you don't say can speak as loudly as what you do.

It's always easier to get a job in work than not so my advice would be to start actively and intensively job hunting but stick with the existing job if you possibly can until you find something.

You will hopefully get a psychological boost by knowing that you are taking positive steps to change your circumstances which will give you the resilience to see it through.

Good luck to you.

We spend so much of our lives at work and feeling depressed about the job can impact on the rest of your life away from it.

The "lucky you've got a job brigade" are lucky never to have suffered depression of any sort in their lives because had they done so they would never make such a crass comment.
  • I'm in a similar situation where I fecking hate my job with a passion, so a year ago I decided to make a step in the right direction and do something about it. I started the knowledge of london which doesn't help with the stress levels and it's basically taken over my life.

Im doing 2 jobs at once at the moment as when i wake up, im revising before work. When I get home from work I'm sitting at my map until bed. At weekends, I'm up and out the door by 6.30 riding around london. It's not much fun but the end goal will be worth it.

Basically do something about your situation as soon as you can or feel them same for years to come.

Good luck mate.
  • I've resigned without a job to go to before when I was completely fed up with it - a good few years ago, now, mind you. When making the decision, I thought, "What's the worst that could happen?" The answer I came up with was I could always sell my flat and go off and do VSO work. In the end I didn't need to - was lucky enough to get another opportunity very quickly. You only have one life/ it's not a dress rehearsal, so I would always say it is not a good idea to keep doing something that makes you very unhappy - but before taking a big step, you do need to feel confident that you have a Plan B.
  • If work was enjoyable they'd call it play.
  • No job is worth more than your health and happiness, if you have a way to pay everything then quit, if not then find anything else to tide you over then quit.
  • Not sure here is a great place to ask.
    Would go and ask your GP.
  • Life is too short to be stuck in a job you hate and that's making you ill mate. As you have no dependants I'd definitely consider the moving back with your parents idea whilst you recharge your batteries and look for something else. Maybe look into retraining for something you really want to do.
    I'm quite lucky in the fact that for all it's stress I quite enjoy my job and collect a decent wage for it. Got a mate who worked at the same place and he hated it. To the point he was signed off with anxiety. He came back but nothing changed and he began to look haunted. Eventually he found a new job on less money so he handed in his notice and I swear in the four weeks notice he worked you could see him visibly getting better. Just knowing that he would soon be leaving made his life considerably more bearable.

It's a tough decision for you but maybe you have to be brave to save yourself. Good luck.
  • My advice would be if you've got chance to get out and move in with your folks, do it. I left a job I loved a couple of years ago for one that financially, I couldn't really turn down. Realised after a few weeks I'd made a big mistake and spent a year at a job I hated that began to affect me at home. I was arsehole lucky that my old job became available and they took me back (on the same money I left for)

Wasn't the greatest move career wise but I couldn't be happier (and at 46, how much further am I going anyway!)

• L Block said:

if you are in a job which you hate and is basically affecting your health (hardly sleeping, eating and generally depressed most of the time) would you quit?

ive had jobs in the past which ive disliked, however i have managed to stick it through, however this time around, i am really unhappy. quiting does go against my personality and will be the toughest decision ive every had to make, however im just wondering whether people have/would do the same if they are in my situation.

your advice would truly be appreciated?

thanks

Genuinely, nothing is more important than health and happiness.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2014
    once again, thanks for all your messages.

i had a long hard think about this last night and i have decided to hand my notice in. i have around two months money to keep me by, however my parents have said that there is no problem in moving back in with them for the time being.

i think the problem was i had so much pride in not wanting to be out of work, however everyone has their pressure points. i am so unhappy and fed up (and it wasnt likely to change either) that i had to do something about it - for the sake of my health
  • Brave decision but definitely the right one for you I feel. Make sure you keep your mind and body healthy while you figure out where you're heading. Recharge your batteries @L Block, get your head together and restart your life. Hope your future's bright.
  • edited July 2014

I've resigned without a job to go to before when I was completely fed up with it - a good few years ago, now, mind you. When making the decision, I thought, "What's the worst that could happen?" The answer I came up with was I could always sell my flat and go off and do VSO work. In the end I didn't need to - was lucky enough to get another opportunity very quickly. You only have one life/ it's not a dress rehearsal, so I would always say it is not a good idea to keep doing something that makes you very unhappy - but before taking a big step, you do need to feel confident that you have a Plan B.

Really good advice. I was in a similar situation and honestly believe I would have had a nervous breakdown if I I had not left. I did not have a plan b and was out of work for 18 months but I did have my health.
  • For what it's worth, Greg Dyke had one bit of advice for graduating students at York Uni today. (he's the Chancellor) -- "don't stay in a job you dislike"

cant agree more...
  • For what it's worth, Greg Dyke had one bit of advice for graduating students at York Uni today. (he's the Chancellor) -- "don't stay in a job you dislike"

cant agree more...

Am I being thick ? Probably, but when did Greg Dyke become Chancellor ?
  • At this time, I would definitely look for a replacement job before resigning, out of the pot into the fire! Being out of work at the moment does not sound very appealing.

cant agree more...

Am I being thick ? Probably, but when did Greg Dyke become Chancellor ?
    Having been awarded an honorary Doctorate from the University of York in 1999, Greg Dyke became its Chancellor in 2004.