Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Peeters vs Riga

Some of you asked about the 'Belgian' view on Peeters and the reasons Riga got sacked so here we go. Peeters had a good stint at two clubs and a truly awful stint at my hometeam but we were in turmoil and no coach really succeeded in that period so i cant put too much blame on him.

Tactics : Riga plays a more rational football, more focus on organisation than creation. Peeters used to play a 4-3-3 (sometimes 4-4-2) passing play based on fast counterattacks (a bit like every other modern coach bar the ones at Barca, Bayern and Dortmund). He prefers a more continental style of play (less hoofing, more passing play) and will be a bit more adventurous than Riga.

Personality: Riga is a professor with an enormous amount of knowledge of the game, Peeters is the more likeable flamboyant guy, a coach who is close with his group and thrives on motivational skills. As a player he has seen the highs and lows of the game too and has played in the championship himself)

Reason why Riga got the boot : this is RD 101 , take a rational result focused coach to steady the ship and replace him with a younger, more flamboyant and PR minded coach. He did it at Sint truiden , he did it at Standard and he is doing it again. He sees football like a company, the right manager for the right period of transition you are going through. Riga was needed to steady, Peeters is needed to improve on and off the pitch.

The only thing that would be worrying is if there are big ego's in the dressing room that will refuse to adapt/accept his style of play, cant see him imposing himself but maybe he has learned/evolved the last few years. At Kaagent that was the main issue.

Comments

• Options
    All the big ego's have gone - Poyet, Hamer, etc.
  • Options
    Thanks for this. Sounds like we're in for an exciting ride with Big Bob.
  • Options
    Thats both a very good insight and a plausible offering of RD's thinking.

Thanks @Belgian‌_Spur, that's really helpful. We are grateful to all the Belgians on here who help to offer a different viewpoint.
  • Options
    Haha are there other Belgians around ?
  • Options

Haha are there other Belgians around ?

I believe @byl is
  • Options

Ped45 said:

All the big ego's have gone - Poyet, Hamer, etc.

Are you confusing ego's with ambition? I don't believe either were egotistic. they just left for Premier league clubs. Any other player in this squad or last seasons squad would do exactly the same. It has nothing to do with ego's.

Some might, perhaps most might but not all would do this. Some people recognise that career development depends on the individual and club, and one path does not suit all.
  • Options
    Interesting, pleased Peeters prefers a passing style of play. However I thought riga also implemented this last season anyway. Its always good to hear from Belgium's as it gives a different more accurate insight of some players and obviously our head coach and chairman.
  • Options
    not got any concerns on an ego basis, i am a bit concerned on a squad harmony basis, given the vast number of overseas arrivals from different cultures, languages etc, that's why trips like this Spanish one are vital with what happens away from the friendlies

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    This explanation adds another layer and lends credibility to the proposition that we are on a planned journey and not a series of random events. Riga was the interim brought in to settle things after the Sheffield United debacle. Poyet may have gone to join a premier league squad but none of the other departures will be appearing on match of the day too often next season!
    Nearly two thirds of the squad came through the academy or joined CAFC in 2010. We have a large number of new high value players joining and I expect there will be more over the next 12 months in order for our club to push on. The whole thing has been very understated on the PR and comms side but there is clearly something quite big going on.
    The friendlies and fixtures against Peterborough, Colchester and Brentford will hopefully give Peeters and the new squad the chance to hit the ground running before some tougher opponents roll up... Can't wait for the season to kick off :)
  • Options
    edited July 2014

This explanation adds another layer and lends credibility to the proposition that we are on a planned journey and not a series of random events. Riga was the interim brought in to settle things after the Sheffield United debacle. Poyet may have gone to join a premier league squad but none of the other departures will be appearing on match of the day too often next season!
    Nearly two thirds of the squad came through the academy or joined CAFC in 2010. We have a large number of new high value players joining and I expect there will be more over the next 12 months in order for our club to push on. The whole thing has been very understated on the PR and comms side but there is clearly something quite big going on.
    The friendlies and fixtures against Peterborough, Colchester and Brentford will hopefully give Peeters and the new squad the chance to hit the ground running before some tougher opponents roll up... Can't wait for the season to kick off :)

Tempered excitement from me i'm a bit of a cynical miserable old git who has seen a few false dawns, i seriously want Bob to do well for us , i hope he hasn't got a touch of the Dowies about him, and despite the Welling result , their are encouraging signs.I look forward to see our strongest team play together , still imo need an experienced keeper, which i'm guessing we will sign by the end of August , i just can't believe Nick Pope is ready for first team football , its a big step up!
  • Options
    Thanks for all the info and perspective, Belgian Spur. What surprised me was your comment on Peeters maybe not being able to impose himself on players with big egos. Look at the bloody size of the bloke! What Charlton player in their right mind would stand up to him?
  • Options
    Great explanation @Belgian_Spur and just adds to the excitement of the new season. Cheers for the input.
  • Options

Tempered excitement from me i'm a bit of a cynical miserable old git who has seen a few false dawns, i seriously want Bob to do well for us , i hope he hasn't got a touch of the Dowies about him, and despite the Welling result , their are encouraging signs.I look forward to see our strongest team play together , still imo need an experienced keeper, which i'm guessing we will sign by the end of August , i just can't believe Nick Pope is ready for first team football , its a big step up!
    Ive seen the Peeters/Dowie thing been mentioned before, surely thats not solely based on the fact that they are menacing looking ex-strikers?
  • Options
    hawksmoor said:

Thanks for all the info and perspective, Belgian Spur. What surprised me was your comment on Peeters maybe not being able to impose himself on players with big egos. Look at the bloody size of the bloke! What Charlton player in their right mind would stand up to him?

He is (was?) a bit too nice and a bit too accustomed to playing with youth teams and teams where they looked up to him (he has some status in Belgium as ex international and media figure) - but with pro's all that doesnt mean that much and the nice guy doesnt always cut it. Too young to be a father figure, more like a big brother.

But as all of you know, making a team gel (esp with new players) takes time and a few bad results combined with a lack of patience can make things go sour very fast.

Btw Moussa is awesome , dont know if he'll be awesome all the time but dead cert that he'll score a wondergoal or two this season. The kind of player that will divide opinions, some will love the flair, others will loathe the inconsitency. From a purist point of view, his technical skills are quite impressive. But i dont know the championship that well, no idea how he'll cope with the 'physical' defenders.
  • Options
    Oh and one thing about RD - he doesnt do random events, he learned a lot about football ever since he joined and he'll never really understand what it is to be a fan but he understands what it means to build a club both PR, management, business and result wise.

He does things his own way and got very rich doing so.
  • Options
    Interesting stuff BS thanks, though thought from the title this was a boxing thread. My money's on Bob.
  • Options
    Has it been established that Moussa is injured, do we know?
  • Options

Oh and one thing about RD - he doesnt do random events, he learned a lot about football ever since he joined and he'll never really understand what it is to be a fan but he understands what it means to build a club both PR, management, business and result wise.

He does things his own way and got very rich doing so.

Cheers Roland.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Belgian Spur thanks for your input, as you can see it is valued by many of us.

May I ask you about one of my concerns?

Big Bob has arrived, he has to assemble a team, he has to establish his authority, he has to be a leader on tactics, style, and strategy for the team and he has to cope with events at Charlton day by day and week by week.

Now that is quite a lot to be getting on with, however I wonder if he is any good at considering the opposition and the nature of the competition. The Championship is tough, merciless and takes no prisoners, and other clubs will not be passive, they will set up to win matches, they will be aware of strengths and weaknesses around the league and so on, in short they will have sussed out the opposition.

Do you think that Bob has the attitude that we must get Charlton right, and let others worry about what we do, or is he able to set things up before matches to cope with the particular strengths and weaknesses of the teams we play, and the players we will face?

I suppose I am worried that the new regime may be a bit naïve regarding what is required, and other teams will have our measure and be set up to beat us, but that Bob and co will be constantly surprised by events match by match.

Will Bob have what it takes to set us up to cope with Bolton away on a cold midweek February evening, or Wigan at home on a sunny autumn Saturday?
  • Options

I posted last December that the darkest hour is just before the dawn. I share your concern about Pope but it looks like he is being given a shot at making the number 1 shirt his own. The thing is that in goal and across the squad there is a loan window in September and then the January transfer window to address gaps, cover for injuries, loss of former and add more high quality u24 players. Getting CAFC to mid-table won't be that hard but making the next step up to the top 8 is a big ask... To get there a club has to achieve 4 or 6 points off of each and every bottom half club - you can't lose home or away against the likes of Brentford, Millwall or Wednesday. That takes quality and consistency... And a fair slice of luck.
  • Options
    @seth plum‌ thats the part that would worry me the most indeed. That and the pressure of having money to spend and expectations from the fans. I ve you are broke and bottom of the league there is only hope, when you are spending and sending out positive messages the expectation s rise and make the pressure a lot higher.

Is he tactically stromg enough. .. no idea
  • Options
    Damien Mathew , peacock , Roberts ect will tell him all about the league and what to expect if he doesn't already know .
  • Options
    bobcafc7 I really hope you're right. It is not only telling Big Bob about the league, but implementing strategies to negate the strengths of the opposition, and exploit their weaknesses.

When we had the 0-0 at Brighton two seasons ago a Brighton fan wrote the following (this is NOT supposed to be about Chris Powell, but an insight into how much attention needs to be paid to the opposition):

'Thoughts on Charlton tonight...

Hats off to them, they did a fantastic job on us. Their scout needs a raise because they played an almost perfect game. Tactically, that was the best I have seen a side defend against us. It wasn't just as simple as kicking us off the park or sitting deep and trying to hit us on the break or score from a set piece, it was thought-out from front to back.

1. Their 14 was all over Bridcutt like a rash. Did not give him a minute's peace, snapping at his heels for 90 minutes and refusing to allow him the time on the ball when he drops in to receive it from the centre backs. Still amazes me so few teams have worked out how key he is to us.
    2. Their back four actually played quite deep, with their centre backs taking it in turns to bump and jostle Ulloa, nothing blatant enough to be called a foul, but rarely did he get more than a yard or two of space as they were usually touch (shirt-pulling) tight.
    3. Meanwhile, whilst the defence was deep, their wingers and striker pressed very high and with good intensity all game, as some opposing sides have tried, but vitally their whole team's shape was also very narrow. There was room in wide positions if we had time to pick out a switch ball or diagonal, but all the passes were being so rushed by the forward pressure we couldn't move it laterally with pace and accuracy. This meant it was just front to back, and they had Jackson and their other centre mid sitting in the hole between defence and midfield, blocking the route on the deck and crowding the space if Lopez or Vicente tried to drop deeper to pick it up.
    4. The two centre mids also shifted across the pitch as a unit to help out their full-back whenever we got it wide to Buckley or Kaz, and much like we did to Zaha, they were happy to funnel them into blind alleys and towards the corner flag without really ever committing to the tackle and getting isolated one-on-one. It was so tight that we had to try impossible little one-touch triangles to get through, and inevitably they had enough numbers for someone to make an interception.
    5. Their keeper had a worldie. I can't help thinking if we kept playing until Saturday we wouldn't have scored. Fair play to him.

All this leads me to wonder why Gus didn't want to make a change. With 25 minutes to go Orlandi & Hammond went out to warm up. Bridcutt was walking a bit of a tightrope on a yellow and with a couple of other fouls to his name, and LuaLua, whilst beating his man over and over, had his head permanently down and was just brainlessly smacking it fifteen yards over the bar or lashing missile-like crosses the same distance over Ulloa's head. It was more or less like-for-like, but would have given 'that something different' that Gus always wants. Orlandi, whilst not as quick or skilful as Kaz, is ten times more intelligent as a footballer and has an absolute wand of a left foot to whip some meaningful crosses in. Hammond is not as good at the role LB plays, but would perhaps have coped a little better with their 14 as he's bigger and stronger, and would also have added more height for the 1,286 corners we won. The time ticked away...game over. Job done for Charlton, and for once not a cynical hatchet job; or a sit back and time-waste from minute one, nick a mouldy deflected goal for a 1-0 type job, but a disciplined and tactically superb job. On that evidence I wouldn't mind having at least a look at Powell when Poyet eventually goes. Not as first choice, but perhaps put him on a shortlist.'

Not only is that a great analysis (yes from one fans perspective) but provides an insight into the kind of thinking needed to get results in this league.
    I hope our non-playing staff, newly assembled that they are, are up to the job.
  • Options

Pope did brilliantly at York City last season, kept them in the play offs when they could've lost by four goals and had no complaints. I really think he can step up in the same way solly did when powell took over. We all wanted an experienced right back to come in but solly came in and was rock solid. I think Pope can make the same kind of impact but between the sticks.
  • Options
    edited July 2014

Pope did brilliantly at York City last season, kept them in the play offs when they could've lost by four goals and had no complaints. I really think he can step up in the same way solly did when powell took over. We all wanted an experienced right back to come in but solly came in and was rock solid. I think Pope can make the same kind of impact but between the sticks.

He could step up , and i know he did really well at York last season but there is more pressure at this level and if you drop a clanger or two your career can quickly go down the pan , ie fans are not particularly supportive/quick to write players off etc , goalie is a big position to fill and you need a heck of a lot of self belief as well as ability, not easy , i really hope Nick pulls through it as he comes across as a nice lad , maybe we as fans should sign a pettion to support him come what may, through thick and thin this season? (yes i know its a daft idea , but it does stop and make you think).
  • Options
    Seth, I remember reading the post about Chris Powell's well prepared team against Brighton, was a very well written piece and impressed me. However, the games were selection was poor, questionable or just a down right mystery far outnumbered the few times he got it right.
    Chris Powell has achieved alot in the game and developed excellæent raport with everyone he met, but has a manager he is still very much learning his trade - to be considered truly good.
  • Options

Seth, I remember reading the post about Chris Powell's well prepared team against Brighton, was a very well written piece and impressed me. However, the games were selection was poor, questionable or just a down right mystery far outnumbered the few times he got it right.
    Chris Powell has achieved alot in the game and developed excellæent raport with everyone he met, but has a manager he is still very much learning his trade - to be considered truly good.

As I clearly said, I quoted the post NOT because it is about Chris Powell, but about the kind of consideration football staff have to have about the opposition in the championship, and whether Belgian-Spur thinks that Big Bob will be any good at not only preparing our team, but also preparing for the opposition.

• Options
    It seems to me that with the abundance of attack-minded players Bob bought in the intent will be force the opposition to be reactionary rather than alter the team fundamentally for each game (though of course a bit of tactical flexibility will be vital.) Whether or not Big Bob will prove a tactical mastermind or not remains to be seen but CP's own style proved that guts, determination and team spirit can be effective not matter what highfalutin tactical frippery you're up against. Powell came up against wilier heads in the past and was out-thought, but very rarely were his teams out-fought. If Bob has the same success the same way I certainly wouldn't hold NOT being some sort of footballing Duke Of Wellington against him.