Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Johnny Winter - RIP

Comments

• Options
    Sad news

Saw him at the Trocadero in the late seventies
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    Muddy Waters said of Johnny, 'The greatest slide player ever'.
  • Options
    Remember hearing the x rated album 'sky high' with Johnny Winter, Jim Morrison, and Jimi Hendrix.
    Poor old Jim M was so out of it.. He phoned up one day to a mate of mine who wrote the cover lines of
    Woke up this morning and found myself dead?. Hi it's Johnny here"...... 'sorry Johnny who' a confused and sleepy fan replied.
    'Johnny Winter' ..... Just seen the record in the shops , and wanted to phone up and say hi!......
    I remember the gig, it was good fun..... Not sure you get two many legends doing that these day's.......

Johnny was very popular with the other musicians, and like Jimi would really Jam with anyone.
    Sadly I never saw the man play.
    see also: http://rockonvinyl.blogspot.co.uk/2010/05/jimi-hendrix-with-john-mclaughlin.html.
    Couple of decent players there as well......
  • Options
    Very sorry to hear this. He was one of my guitar heroes. Second Winter was a great album.
  • Options
    Sad, what a talent. Thats another memory from my youth gone, mid to late seventies, me and my brother playing his albums on the mono record player, good times.
  • Options
    ffs here we go again

r i p
  • Options
    I know that Queen don't seem to be too popular in these parts, but I couldn't help but think another one bites the dust.

Thanks for the memories Johnny.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    One of those "Guitar heroes at theBBC" shows you see on BBC4 has JW and his band tearing through a version of Jumping Jack Flash, it's as good a display of power blues as you'll see anywhere .

RIP
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    my word, seems like every day we lose one of the good 'uns - wish some of the arses would piss off early too. johnny winter - legend, such ease and economy in his playing, just check out that little break (solo?) in his classic "rock n roll hoochie coo" original studio version. masterful....he was immersed in the blues ethos...and also surprising, how many recording artists have put out a 3 sided double album? yes, it was "second winter". i was puzzled when i got it. annoyed i missed bath the same year as i was at the "isle of wight" festival, but did see him later in london. miss yer johnny....
  • Options
    RIP